MMP enlarging maps maybe.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actionjick wrote:

"That's what the floor is for! Lol we rarely used a table or chairs. Had a table top with legs removed that we used for RB. Just sit cross legged on the floor."

I don't know about anyone else, but the days of sitting cross legged on the floor, listening to Cream and Mothers of Invention and ingesting non-prescribed pharmaceuticals, ended about 40 years ago. Good luck getting up after The Last Bid is played to completion.

David "72 is the new 60" Goldman
these knees, with decades of snow skiing wear (no tears yet), ache just thinking about sitting on the floor to play a game.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Actionjick wrote:

"That's what the floor is for! Lol we rarely used a table or chairs. Had a table top with legs removed that we used for RB. Just sit cross legged on the floor."

I don't know about anyone else, but the days of sitting cross legged on the floor, listening to Cream and Mothers of Invention and ingesting non-prescribed pharmaceuticals, ended about 40 years ago. Good luck getting up after The Last Bid is played to completion.

David "72 is the new 60" Goldman
Lol well I was listening to the Mothers and Cream today at work while sitting cross legged on the floor prepping a range. No pharmaceuticals though, prescribed or otherwise.

I still usually sit on the floor. Relatively limber for a 69 year old. I will admit though that after about an hour sitting cross legged in front of the computer I have to stretch out a bit. A lot of creaks and pops when I stand up that I dont recall from even ten years ago.

I must compliment you on your musical tastes.🥰
I reccomend Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Uncle Meat and One Size Fits All by Zappa and the Mothers.

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All in all, I think I'd prefer licensed (annual subscription?) software to allow the maps to be printed at home or at a print shop - along with SSR deformations, overlays etc. - kind of like what you can do with VASL (or even through VASL with a licenced set of 'high res' VASL maps and overlays).

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd also much prefer print on demand, even though it would be more expensive. But I would not sign up for any subscription.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All in all, I think I'd prefer licensed (annual subscription?) software to allow the maps to be printed at home or at a print shop - along with SSR deformations, overlays etc. - kind of like what you can do with VASL (or even through VASL with a licenced set of 'high res' VASL maps and overlays).
Use VASL maps and the free tool PosteRazor and you have it now.

1. Create the VASL map with all terrain changes.
  2. Save with VASL as a File.

1. Open that File with PosteRazor, set paper format, margins, overlap, output size, save it.
  2. Print on your printer at home.
Quick and easy to do. No cost of the tool. Printing cost at home is entirely neglible.

Unless you want to cover very large maps, where the screenshot that VASL takes might be insufficient, I see no need for anything else.

von Marwitz

Reactions: MTL

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Use VASL maps and the free tool PosteRazor and you have it now.

1. Create the VASL map with all terrain changes.
  2. Save with VASL as a File.
View attachment 20102

1. Open that File with PosteRazor, set paper format, margins, overlap, output size, save it.
  2. Print on your printer at home.
Quick and easy to do. No cost of the tool. Printing cost at home is entirely neglible.

Unless you want to cover very large maps, where the screenshot that VASL takes might be insufficient, I see no need for anything else.

von Marwitz
Oh, I know - and I do just that, especially for winterised, pto and maps heavily morphed by overlays / SSRs - but having high res, MMP quality maps & overlays rather than the rather low res VASL ones would be really, really nice. I'd happily licence a set of those from MMP.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I play on 130% upsized geomaps, enlarged at FedEx. Cost to do so is high for colorized 11x17" (per half board) using high quality paper. MMP's estimated cost of $240 would be a bargain by comparison, especially if produced on cardstock.

Play on larger hexes makes a lot of difference IMO. No crowding, less stack toppling, etc.. No question - getting 130% upsize is great.

(PS - downsizing the DASL maps to 75% which is also recommended - can much better grok the whole field)
100% agree
Once you play on these boards you'll hate the regular boards.
But it's far too late in the game for MMP to when contemplate this.

I've simply done it myself. It takes time but worth every second done.
Laminated allows you to eat spaghetti while playing.

Cost isn't an issue, storage either,

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Whenever you should quit ASL altogether, I'll take your kit. ;)

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
having high res, MMP quality maps & overlays rather than the rather low res VASL ones would be really, really nice. I'd happily licence a set of those from MMP
I'd be interested in doing these. Now a good number of you people need to convince MMP to ask for them.

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
100% agree
Once you play on these boards you'll hate the regular boards.
But it's far too late in the game for MMP to when contemplate this.

Yep. How would action packs and other future releases work? Two sets of boards and overlays in different sizes?

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would buy enlarged maps. I've played on custom maps created by other players, always a delight and make regular maps feel cramped, especially when trying to stack infantry and bypassing vehicles.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Yep. How would action packs and other future releases work? Two sets of boards and overlays in different sizes?
I presume MMP would produce Action Packs and Modules with standard-hex-sizes, and make enlarged boards available for separate purchase (as is now done with current boards) or in batches (ala the Supplemental Map Pack). And remember that MMP did at one point produce two versions of the AOO module, some with cardboard-backed maps and some with ASLSK-style maps. (I'm not recommending that as a distribution model, but it has been done.)

Enlarged map sets would have certain parallels with the DASL line: I'm not fond of DASL, but I don't mind MMP releasing more DASL products. ASLers who prefer standard-sized hexes would, I expect, be similarly tolerant of MMP offering maps with enlarged hexes. Especially seeing as the oversized boards would require a lot less manpower to develop than new DASL products would: no new artwork, no new scenarios--just printing the maps on larger pieces of paper and doing a tri-fold instead of a duo-fold. And if, by this, MMP gains access to an additional revenue stream for comparatively little effort, that's surely a benefit to our entire hobby, isn't it?

Last edited:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"If we (MMP) put up a preorder for a map bundle where all the maps are 130% or so larger would you be interested?"

Might need a corresponding furniture product line of 130% larger convention tables....

Seriously, ages ago I got a compliant for setting up DASL on a convention table. But in the Man Cave, should be no social problem.

Personally, I'm almost certainly sure I'd pass on this ~130% variant. Seeing could change my mind, I suppose. If so, I'd need a bigger gaming table.