I don't like cricket...

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
My prediction was that England would win the series 3-1.

Aussie currently 4 down in their 2nd innings, so it still looks on......

What strikes me most about the Australian cricket side is how self-deluded they are. In the past, they were very, very good, and played an aggressive and entertaining style. Now they have shed a good deal of talent, but are still trying to play with the same aggression, but its just not working for them.

I really think that this misplaced tactical approach is contributing to their "bad batting form..."

That aside, I still think the Aussie bowling attack isn't quite good enough to put England under enough pressure. 3-1 England.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
139/5, watching it on cricinfo and it's only a matter of time. Abject batting against some fairly decent bowling - can't bat, can't bowl does not win tests. What happened to the Australia of the WACA? The real Mitchell Johson appears to have turned up this test match too - bizarre.

And The Punter Incident? he still believes it was out if you listen to the ABC interview he did today. Deluded. He deserved his fine and probably a ban too, not that an international plan is going to bother him much after today.....

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
....Yesterday was a masterful demonstration of bowling followed by a lesson in how to bat. Well done England.
+1

Unless the weather forces a draw, England have this test in the bag, and deservedly so. Australia have been outplayed.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Can someone post a Youtube link to the "Punter Incident"? -- jim

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WvmNamx3TU

He got all upset with the umpires about the fact that Pietersen wasn't given out and the 3rd umpire upheld the not out decision after reviewing hotspot and snicko (thermal camera to see if the ball touches a bat edge and an acoustic tool to hear the ball snicking an edge). As captain, at best it was unsportsmanlike at worst it was clear dissent. I think it's just a sympton of the pressure he's under both as a player and a losing Australia captain - he just lost it a wee bit, and maybe if he'd had some older wiser, more experienced heads around him they'd have had a quiet word in his ear to defuse things before the umpire arguments ("come on Ricky, stop being a d1ck" ;) )

Shame, he's a very fine player.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WvmNamx3TU

He got all upset with the umpires about the fact that Pietersen wasn't given out and the 3rd umpire upheld the not out decision after reviewing hotspot and snicko (thermal camera to see if the ball touches a bat edge and an acoustic tool to hear the ball snicking an edge). As captain, at best it was unsportsmanlike at worst it was clear dissent. I think it's just a sympton of the pressure he's under both as a player and a losing Australia captain - he just lost it a wee bit, and maybe if he'd had some older wiser, more experienced heads around him they'd have had a quiet word in his ear to defuse things before the umpire arguments ("come on Ricky, stop being a d1ck" ;) )

Shame, he's a very fine player.
Might be time for Ricky to retire and move on.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. There is definitely a hot spot on the tip of the bat but that likely comes from banging the bat into the ground or something. Seems like the technology was pretty solidly not out IMO. FWIW, maybe cricket is too gentile. That's nothing like a good Lou Piniella ejection. Now that's style. -- jim

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Thanks. There is definitely a hot spot on the tip of the bat but that likely comes from banging the bat into the ground or something. Seems like the technology was pretty solidly not out IMO. FWIW, maybe cricket is too gentile. That's nothing like a good Lou Piniella ejection. Now that's style. -- jim
Cricket is very strong in upholding principles and tenets of sportsmanship.
Many batsmen (probably still MOST), purely as an example, will automatically walk off the field if they KNOW that they have snicked the ball, even before the umpire gives them their marching orders.
One of the things the sport has very little tolerance for are displays of anger or impatience directed at the umpires.
There are only two sports which I absolutely enjoy passionately, cricket and football....and by God I wish football operated by the same rules

On the issue in hand, Ponting even after the event believes that the hot spot on the tip of the bat is indicative of a ball strike...despite the fact that the ball is a long way from being anywhere near the hot spot.
Personally I believe Ponting's apology and attitude of denial ("I pointed my finger but I was respectful....HUHUHUH ?????") got the guy off with a very light penalty...which is bullsh1t and offends me to be honest....but what's worse is some of the drivel he's spouted in the press since....and I would have liked the ICC to have NOW gone back to him and said "right...we gave you a chance...you've spurned it...you couldn't keep your big fat gob shut.....so here's a ban and a larger fine....now stop acting like a spoilt tw@t"

It won't happen because the ICC are a gutless bunch of w@nkers when it comes to the way they handle the big players (of all nationalities).

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Cricket is very strong in upholding principles and tenets of sportsmanship.
FWIW, this is the thing I like about hockey the most. Many people just see goons running around and don't realize not only is there a code, but they players police themselves when the referees don't want to do it.

It won't happen because the ICC are a gutless bunch of w@nkers when it comes to the way they handle the big players (of all nationalities).
Maybe they are also on the committee awarding World Cup venues? :hmmm: :D -- jim

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Hark the Herald Sun Sings
Time to get rid of Ricky Ponting""

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/the-ashes/we-were-right-ricky-ponting/story-fn67w6pa-1225977123011

The video you see on You Tube is edited down compared to what we saw on Sky. I'm pretty sure that Channel 9 were on a break while the review was on.

Ponting was fined the least he could be while it seems apparent to everyone else in the cricket world he should have been suspended. What annoys me is that having plead guilty and got off lightly he was interviewed by ABC radio the morning of the third day and STILL insisted that Pietersen was out!

I can not begin to bring myself to feel sorry for this whingeing git (he has always been the first to create a stink should things not go Australia's way), however part of me will be saddened that most people will remember this side of Ponting rather than the accomplished batsman (14,000 Test runs) that he undoubtedly was. Its just like that Zidane football wallah... the head butt into the chest in that final is all people will remember.

Anyway, I think he'll lose the captaincy and be moved down to No. 5 by this time tomorrow. It will all be over by lunch at the MCG. I'm glad cause I've got work tomorrow.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just settling down with a bottle of fizzy wine to celebrate the impending triumph over the old enemy. As I put it down on the table with the glasses I remarked that the people who grew the grapes, fermented the wine and bottled it would have been horrified at what we're using it for.

Wolf Blass is Australian wine.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well that didn't last. Opening a bottle I set aside for new Year. Oh noes it's Jacob's Creek!

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Kerching
Spot on pal !!
And he definitely, 100% for certain, chucks
His "doosra" which spins back the other way REQUIRES chucking to bowl it. It cannot be done without flexing the arm 15 degrees (or more). The rule used to be 5 degree flex for a slow bowler - now it is 15 degrees for everyone. That is an invitation for every spinner to chuck - and they might as well do it, since the rules allow it.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
++Missing Persons Report++
29 December 2010 Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Today Victoria Constabulary issued a missing person report for 80,000 Australian cricket fans. They were last seen in Perth.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well played England. I don't know if any team could beat them this summer. Not only are England at their peak, the Aussies have shrunk to a low ebb.

We have been here before, and got back up on top again, but I suspect it will take a few years.....

Sapper_D

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Fat Lady has broken out in song...I hate to say it but well done to the Poms they certainly out-played the Aussies and deserve the victory they have gained. I can't believe they have actually won the Ashes in Australia - what is it, 20-odd years since they last did it?

Once again, well done and I just hope we have a real cricket team next Ashes series...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am very happy and a little bit worse for wear, having stayed up late and drunk Aussie Champaign (anything is better than the French slop) since three hours ago. This is a greet night for sport here. I am so happy that turning up at the office with a hangover will be a badge of honour.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
His "doosra" which spins back the other way REQUIRES chucking to bowl it. It cannot be done without flexing the arm 15 degrees (or more). The rule used to be 5 degree flex for a slow bowler - now it is 15 degrees for everyone. That is an invitation for every spinner to chuck - and they might as well do it, since the rules allow it.
So pace bowlers should receive an advantage over spinners?

The bio-mechanics analysis was done by an Australian yet Aussies seem least able to accept the results.