I don't like cricket...

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
So pace bowlers should receive an advantage over spinners?

The bio-mechanics analysis was done by an Australian yet Aussies seem least able to accept the results.
Aaron, it seems that it wasn't just Australians that found that analysis a bit unconvincing.....

I personally found the bio mechanics analysis about as convincing as the "birth defect" story (remember the first excuse for Murali's bowling action?). Its a bit hard to swallow when the news of an "elbow birth defect" of a major cricket icon suddenly (and very conveniently) comes to light in this fashion. What next?

Oh, I know, play the race card. Anyone skeptical of Murali's action is obviously a racist. That's where we're currently at with Murali's defense. Sad.

Shohab Aktar and Brett Lee look rather suspect with their actions, too (especially when viewed from the strikers end of the wicket).

No matter which way you spin it (pardon the pun), changing rules so as to allow someone to CHEAT is reprehensible.

Last edited:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I think Murali's a freak of nature - it's that 15 deg bend that he can straighten which gives him an unfair advantage over everyone else, because bowling that way is unnatural.

Saying that, if anyone's a chucker, it's him! Malinga from SL looks like a chucker but he's just got a low wide slingy action - what is with SL and weird bowling actions?

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
So pace bowlers should receive an advantage over spinners?

The bio-mechanics analysis was done by an Australian yet Aussies seem least able to accept the results.
Utter, utter bollox.

The rules of the game, before the Murali saga, were as follows:
Slow bowlers - allowed 5 degree elbow flex during delivery
Medium pace bowlers - allowed 10 degree elbow flex during delivery
Fast bowlers - allowed 15 degree elbow flex during delivery

Murali bowls with around 15 degrees of flex, particularly when bowling the "doosra". That is chucking under the rules as they stood then.

It was the ICC who decided to change the rules to allow every bowler to flex 15 degrees. The rules of cricket were changed to accommodate one bowler (chucker).

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Didn't they put his arm in a cast so he couldn't flex it and he still bowled them?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I keep on banging on about the Poontang pointy incident. This piss-poor you tyoob vid I made shows what we saw here in the UK.

[video=youtube;Z0jQia9Lyc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jQia9Lyc0[/video]

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well, he has been dropped from the Australian side for the last test, supposedly because of his broken finger. Perhaps he should not have played in Melbourne...

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Utter, utter bollox.

The rules of the game, before the Murali saga, were as follows:
Slow bowlers - allowed 5 degree elbow flex during delivery
Medium pace bowlers - allowed 10 degree elbow flex during delivery
Fast bowlers - allowed 15 degree elbow flex during delivery

Murali bowls with around 15 degrees of flex, particularly when bowling the "doosra". That is chucking under the rules as they stood then.

It was the ICC who decided to change the rules to allow every bowler to flex 15 degrees. The rules of cricket were changed to accommodate one bowler (chucker).
"Biomechanical tests conducted in the 1990s revealed that during a delivery, a bowler's arm naturally flexes laterally as it rotates around the shoulder. This means that no bowler could strictly comply with the Laws of Cricket, as bowling without any flex of the elbow was virtually impossible. Even orthodox actions of bowlers assessed by visual means as legal were all technically illegal. The ICC decided to set a realistic elbow extension limit. This was 10 degrees for fast bowlers, 7.5 degrees for medium pacers, and 5 degrees for spin bowlers.
The ICC carried out a test on all bowlers through video footage during the 2004 Champions Trophy in England. The test brought up some startling results: ninety-nine percent of all bowlers tested were found to flex their elbow to some degree, and often flexed it much greater than the limit set at the time. After a review by an expert panel, the ICC decided to raise the limit to 15 degrees for all bowlers. This limit was chosen as the ICC believed that any flexing of the elbow above 15 degrees would be visibly noticeable"

From Wikipedia

Ahktar and Lee were actually found to flex about 12 degrees when the limit had in fact been set at 10. Visually enforcing the 3 limits for different bowling types was utterly impossible and flexes of less than 15 degrees were visually hard to uniformly detect as well

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not a bad start to the fifth test. Rain interrupted with the Aussies 4 for 130 odd. Given the weather forecasts for NSW, I think it could be a wash out....

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not a bad start to the fifth test. Rain interrupted with the Aussies 4 for 130 odd. Given the weather forecasts for NSW, I think it could be a wash out....
Lucky escape for you lot if it does

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well, well, well,

Day three and it looks like we may even get a day four! Aussies finally found some form with the bat and set a reasonable total. The Poms are well on their way to matching it though. Might be an interesting contest if the rain holds off.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ooooooh, Cookie Monster survives on 99! Will Beer ever get that elusive first wicket? I have to admit he looks way better than Doherty.....

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can't beleive the shot Collingwood played.

Shame lunch came when it did because Cooke and Bell actually looked very comfortable. Also it means time for bed for me sadly.

AndSydney is Pink! Really cool thing to see the English team taking the field and as they stepped out taking off their signed pink caps off to hand to McGrath. The one time enemy of English cricket now so admired for what he has done with that tremendous charity. He got a lot of room to talk about it in the Sky commentary booth to explain what his charity was about and exchange banter with his victims of yesteryear.

What Oz cricket wouldn't do for a player like him right now.

Martin Mayers

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Can't beleive the shot Collingwood played.

Shame lunch came when it did because Cooke and Bell actually looked very comfortable. Also it means time for bed for me sadly.

AndSydney is Pink! Really cool thing to see the English team taking the field and as they stepped out taking off their signed pink caps off to hand to McGrath. The one time enemy of English cricket now so admired for what he has done with that tremendous charity. He got a lot of room to talk about it in the Sky commentary booth to explain what his charity was about and exchange banter with his victims of yesteryear.

What Oz cricket wouldn't do for a player like him right now.
England firmly in control
:)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Happy with a draw!!??

No more than they'd have taken their foot of our throat a decade ago!