Festung Budapest CG2 AAR

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished 1 day of this CG with Paul Sidhu. It was to say the least, very interesting. We decided to play this one with no house rules to see how it would play out.

I think both of us surprised the other with our purchases since NEITHER of us bought any infantry.

I bought AG1, AG3, and AH2. Basically Mk4s, Stugs, and Italian tanks. Paul bought 150 OBA with OBO and prereg, prereg for the starting module, T34-85 tanks, and FBs at 1 pt. I had the ACM deplete, and Paul had no losses due to depletion.

Here is my setup:

View attachment 35882

I had an Italian tank in A34, A30, and I39. My Stugs were in E30 and O38 (hip). My Mk4s were in F31, C30, and N39(10-2 AL and hip). The 75L was in N30L2, the 76L in D30, the 40L in O39, and the Mtrs in T39 and X38. The 9-1/2HMGs were in Q36L1. Wire was in B30, C31, and D31 and minefields were in C30 and F31.

All in all, I thought it was a very nasty defense. However, I didn't count on the 150 OBA! I thought Paul would buy an INF coy of some sort.

Turn 1, Paul drops the 150 as a barrage in H29 and pulls the extra black to land it. Fortunately, I knew Paul had seen my sample setup and I had moved the 75L from its original position. So this barrage did nothing except to break and ELR the 8-1/447v/MMG in E30L2 and reveal the Stug while creating misc shellholes. The 80 OBA was pre-reg'd in E34 but drifted to F33 as smoke.

Paul uses 2 T34s to attack the Italian tank in A34 and managed to kill it with a low odds advancing fire shot rolling a 4. The tank did kill a 628 who got too aggressive and ran into 8 resid trying to place a DC. The rest of the turn passed with small losses on both sides.

Turn 2 became interesting. Paul moved 2 T34s to A31 and A32 trying to challenge my A30 and C30 tanks. My C30 tank managed to shock his 8-1 AL tank in A32 and a Pak40 from N30L2 took care of the A31 tank. My E30 Stug also turned to face them. Paul moved 2 tanks in LOS of the Mk4 in F31 behind 2 smoke hexes (+4 hindrance). The 150 OBA had started a flame in the hex in the previous turn (and also destroyed the minefield) so I decided to take a calculated risk and move it instead of prep-firing. Paul's tanks needed a 4 to hit, and he managed to kill it in F32. That rather sucked. I reveal the 10-2 AL tank in N39 but didn't realize that his target was blocked by smoke. This almost cost me dearly.

Turn 3, Paul got his FBs! Paul moved forward his infantry aggressively and was beaten back from the HMG in A26L2, the 76L in D30, and the squads I had in the area. He challenged my Stug in E30 which was facing the wrong way. As I tried to shoot them, I bogged! All of a sudden it was facing the wrong way and had 3 tanks staring down at it. My Pak40 took out 1 tank, but I still had 2 in my face. I used my SD, got started and unbogged and turned to face him. He needed 5 to hit in prepfire and managed to nail this Stug as well. His 150 rolled snakeeyes and killed the Mk4 in C30 (destroying the minefield in the process) and a crappy 6+2 advancing fire shot broke the gun crew in D30. All of a sudden, the defense which looked so solid looked like Swiss cheese. His 8-1 AL tank managed to recover from UK, but I revealed a HIP 237/PSK in A30L1 and killed it at the cost of breaking myself. My Pak40 killed yet another tank. Some excitement occurred when Paul used all 3 FBs on the tank in N39. I shot down the first one with a 3, but malfed the 40L at the 2nd one. My tank bounced 2 or 3 MG shots and thankfully the bombs missed. His 150 OBA clears 2 wires.

Turn 4, the 150 OBA finally draws a red. There is a ton of smoke everywhere from burning buildings and blazing wrecks. I am barely hanging on due to the Italian tank in A30, the Pak40 in N30L2, and the killstack in Q36L1. The HMG in A26L2 also does awesome work when it rolls snakeeyes on 8+1 on a stack of leader and 3 squads and RS gets the leader and 2 of the squads. And the HMG was fired by a conscript! It did break the next shot but managed to repair it. I fire into a melee with a 628 and 247v and break both units, but Paul's FBs manage to break my squad before I could advance in and kill the 628. Net result is both of us survive.

Turn 5, Paul pushes forward slowly. He's making incremental progress at the cost of some heavy infantry casualties. My killstack is earning its pay although it does break a HMG but immediately repairs it. Paul drives a tank in E29 in bypass to freeze a 237/mmg. And then Paul launches his FBs on the tank in A30 and burns it with a snakeeyes on the results! I get a measure of revenge when a 8-1/467 advances in and kills his E29 tank after finding ATMM. The game does not end.

Turn 6, Paul takes some key hexes. He has C30, D30, E30, F31, G31, and G35. I get overagressive in attacking some of Paul's units in CC and lose 1.5 347s for no result and give Paul a psk as well. An epic disaster occurs when the 75L malfs on the last shot! The game ends.

Here is the map of the end game after all blaze spreads and rubbling:

View attachment 35887

Russian losses were:

5 T34-85s with 8-1 AL. 1 crew survived. The 6th T34 is immobilized in A31.
9 Squads, 8-1, 8-0. 56 total CVP. The Russians have 15 total squads left but they do have a 9-2.

Axis losses were:
2 Mk4s, 1 Stug, 2 Italian tanks
6.5 squads, 8-0, 228, 40L, 75L. 48 CVP. The Axis have 22.5 squads left with a 9-1 as their best leader. I do have a Mk4, Stug, Italian tank, and 2 81 Mtrs left. It's interesting that during the scenario, I broke the 75L, 40L, both Mtrs, German HMG, and Hungarian HMG and repaired everything except the 75L and 40L.

During refit, I BH'd 2 467 to 468 and a 7-0 to 8-0. Paul BH'd a 7-0 to 8-0. I chose a night assault, so I have 13 GCPP and 3 SCPP and Paul has 9 GCPP and 3 SCPP. My ELR increased! So now it's 4 for everyone except Hungarian non-elites where it is 3. AS did not increase.

As an overview, I think Paul's 150 OBA was the difference maker. If he had bought an infantry coy and 'standard' purchases, I think he would've been stuffed by the tank/gun line. The cost is that he has far less infantry than usual as do I. I outnumber him significantly, but he has a quality advantage with 8.5 of his 15 squads being Elite.

The night assault should be fairly interesting. There is going to be a lot of illumination and it should spread even further with Heavy Winds in effect.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One possible Soviet tactic for the night assault is to leave all the MMC on-board, but enter some of the leaders. Any Axis attack will be met by a fully-manned line. Those Soviet units that can't gain Freedom of Movement naturally (i.e. they are in a quiet sector) will have those Soviet Leaders that enter from offboard grant it to them. It doesn't look like that will be a problem in your playing, however.

JR

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome report Gary. Great memory you have. Enjoyed it very much and am still glad that I am playing CG III.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice aar Gary, I'd add I captured the 76l gun so go from facing 8 afv, 2 gun, 2 mortars, 1 aa, 3 hmg to 3 afv, 2 mortar, 3 hmg. if Gary's going to use his 2 Oba effort on day 3 he needs to save some of his Cpp.

Also he only has a few good tank/atg platoons left. The Russians can add 11 more t-34/85 platoons!

The smoke Oba saved my bacon from long range fire of the hill. Gusts one turn allowed a nasty fire phase though.

Definitely an exciting and interesting cg day, lots of choices and good replay value.

Paul

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brother and I will kick off this week i think, I haven't seen his setup yet. In all the talking about gettign on board, I don't know if "blasting" my way on board occurred to me...

Steve

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Does a 150mm Barrage actually create shellholes? I wonder because it is resolved on the 120mm column.

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The CG is over. It was so gruesome that Paul conceded after 1 turn.

I bought a Vannay coy entering onboard (5) Alarm coy in reserve (3) SS HW pltn (4) Pak40s (2) and 75* Inf guns (2). So I had a total of 6 HMGs, 5 MMGs, 6 75mm guns with ROF 2, 3 tanks, and 4 81 Mtrs as well as more squads than the Russians. Paul bought a SMG coy (5), HW pltn (4), and 122 Art (2).

After 1 turn, losses were only 3 squads plus 1 tank for the Russians and 2.5 squads and 1 Mtr for the Axis. But Paul could see the writing on the wall with so many long range high ROF weapons staring down at him and not much to fire back with. And he was outnumbered with enfilading fire coming from all around. I had killstacks of 24, 24, and 16 FP manned by HS and -1 leaders plus all the mortars and 75mm guns shooting everything in sight plus more squads than he had and a full Vannay coy just about to reach his lines. If we had played the full scenario out, there might not have been any surviving Russians.

Paul thinks the CG is even more unbalanced than I do. I'll let him post his thoughts, but he has some radical ideas to address the balance issues.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi ya-

Sorry to hear that the CG might be unbalanced, alot of work obviously put in by both you guys but for not much gain. Still, I enjoyed your AAR and your honest input, very rare with official stuff nawadays. As a side note, I think the OtO CG my buddy and I are playing might be ending soon too, the OBA is just such an infantry killer used against the Russians. It also sounds like the German OBA is pretty devastating on the Russians in FB too.

Scott

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It also sounds like the German OBA is pretty devastating on the Russians in FB too.
It didn't sound like that to me at all, especially since the Germans can't buy OBA until the third day, and they called the CG on the second. But I might have missed it ;-)

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

I bought a Vannay coy entering onboard (5) Alarm coy in reserve (3) SS HW pltn (4) Pak40s (2) and 75* Inf guns (2). So I had a total of 6 HMGs, 5 MMGs, 6 75mm guns with ROF 2, 3 tanks, and 4 81 Mtrs as well as more squads than the Russians. Paul bought a SMG coy (5), HW pltn (4), and 122 Art (2).

After 1 turn, losses were only 3 squads plus 1 tank for the Russians and 2.5 squads and 1 Mtr for the Axis. But Paul could see the writing on the wall with so many long range high ROF weapons staring down at him and not much to fire back with. And he was outnumbered with enfilading fire coming from all around. I had killstacks of 24, 24, and 16 FP manned by HS and -1 leaders plus all the mortars and 75mm guns shooting everything in sight plus more squads than he had and a full Vannay coy just about to reach his lines. If we had played the full scenario out, there might not have been any surviving Russians.

Paul thinks the CG is even more unbalanced than I do. I'll let him post his thoughts, but he has some radical ideas to address the balance issues.
Well played, Gary.

The Soviet SMG Coy is obvious. Perhaps 80+ OBA & two Fortifications, plus either 76 (ROF) or 122 (FP) using the SCPP. The 80+ brings down Smoke defensively for as long as possible. That allows the Axis to approach concealed, but also mitigates the effects of all those guns/MGs. Or it might engage Axis Infantry moving around in the open, perhaps even harrassing fire. Still it would be a long night for the Soviets.

Where was the Soviet front line?

JR

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well played, Gary.

The Soviet SMG Coy is obvious. Perhaps 80+ OBA & two Fortifications, plus either 76 (ROF) or 122 (FP) using the SCPP. The 80+ brings down Smoke defensively for as long as possible. That allows the Axis to approach concealed, but also mitigates the effects of all those guns/MGs. Or it might engage Axis Infantry moving around in the open, perhaps even harrassing fire. Still it would be a long night for the Soviets.

Where was the Soviet front line?

JR
Paul defended right at the perimeter heavily.

If he was going to use your option of defending back and fortifying like crazy and buy OBA, he might as well just setup offboard and leave the whole area for the Axis as that would result in fewer Russian casualties and saves a few GCPP. I would simply gobble up the perimeter strategic locations and take random potshots at him when IR from the 81 Mtrs land and there was no smoke. I wouldn't actually approach with my squads. This approach still allows me to buy pre-reg OBA the next day as well as have 20+ ROF 2 or 3 weapons aimed at him and more defending squads to boot. He would still be stuck in the narrow A-C row area with a lot less cover as many buildings had burned down already.

We both concluded that there was literally NO combination of purchase/setup options that gave the Russians a chance at that point vs the Night counterattack.

BTW, it was heavy winds and thus no smoke, but it doesn't change the above analysis even if it wasn't.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

oops my bust on the arty thing. Anyway, was the CG fun? Are all the CG's the same at start? IE the Russians have to enter a limited area to gain elbow room?

Scott

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Was hoping against my analysis that Paul would come up with something to save the CG, but after your 1st days AAR I thought he had about 10% chance of having anything left alive on board at all after the night attack.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Paul defended right at the perimeter heavily.

If he was going to use your option of defending back and fortifying like crazy and buy OBA, he might as well just setup offboard and leave the whole area for the Axis as that would result in fewer Russian casualties and saves a few GCPP.
Since the Soviets (and the Hungarians) only get 20FPP per CPP, buying 2 CPP worth isn't quite "fortifying like crazy." You can buy a, what, two trenches, two fortified buildings and some miscellaneous stuff. I'm afraid that is another point in favor of your analysis of the CG.

JR

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I have FB but haven't even opened it and thus have not read any of it yet. That being said, what about the fact that the Russians bought zero infantry for the first day? If this CG is anything like other CGs of this size, not buying all the infantry you can is like a cardinal sin. I haven't read any other AARs for CGII yet so I think it's a little premature to be calling it unbalanced when possibly unorthodox strategy was used in purchasing.

MikeS

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

I do not know if you have seen them (probably but you never know), but the following threads got some talk about purchases:

Check out this thread where people are talking about the FB CG 2 at length:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?105736-Festung-Budapest-Strategy

Also, here is another thread someone started on the purchase strategy (for CGI):

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?105714-Best-initial-FB-CG1-purchases-ideas

<SHRUG>

Some pretty dang good players are concerned about CG2, but Brett who was pretty deep in the playtest does not seem as concerned. Clearly Paul, Gary and Fort are all way better than I am at ASL so, I value their opinion on the CG, but, I will still probably give it a go at some point, as it does seem pretty early to call it a dog. But who knows.

Peace

Roger

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Okay, I have FB but haven't even opened it and thus have not read any of it yet. That being said, what about the fact that the Russians bought zero infantry for the first day? If this CG is anything like other CGs of this size, not buying all the infantry you can is like a cardinal sin. I haven't read any other AARs for CGII yet so I think it's a little premature to be calling it unbalanced when possibly unorthodox strategy was used in purchasing.
If you study the CG and read the analysis, you will see that any Soviet infantry purchase on the first day will not solve their fundamental problem, having to enter a restricted area with limited cover facing lots of enemy FP, and will, if anything, just add to their body count.

JR