Dinant HASL

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is this action in Dinant covered in any books? I'm considering taking my wife on a romantic weekend to France or Belgium, wait until we get there and I start babbling about WW2 :devious:

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Is this action in Dinant covered in any books? I'm considering taking my wife on a romantic weekend to France, wait until we get there and I start babbling about WW2 :devious:
Mate, it's a beautiful town and it, and the area, are really quite cosmopolitan and romantic.

My wife has ZERO interest in WW2 but was absolutely blown away by the place.

There's also a Leffe museum there and it's where Adolph Sax came from so a lot of references to him there (giant saxophones on the main bridge for example).

LOADS of really pleasant restaurants down the riverside....they do this really cute thing whereby even though there's a main road between the restaurants and the river they set up a sort of annex restaurant across the road where you can eat and drink next to the river. Imagine a row of restaurants with waiters flitting across the road with trays full of food and drinks dodging the traffic. It's really quite amazing to see.

Also a nice bistro at the top of the cable car next to the WW1 military cemetary. You MUST visit the citadel just for the views !

And the Belgians there are really friendly to. We were treated like kings at the restaurant we visited.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't intend uploading my photos. I'd be basically uploading the same as you. And your's are better presented.

I found it an amazing place.

One thing which intrigues me. Do you intend making any changes to the map based on what you saw?

Three things struck me. Firstly that the buildings on the map down South (ie. right at the bottom on the French side) seem too sparce compared to the place itself. I took a good walk around the German side of the river looking across towards the French side down South. Struck me there are some open LOS on the map which just don't seem to be there. The buildings, I don't think, are new and presume it wouldn't have changed much from the war (ie. I presume there haven't been a pile of buildings built post war. But I guess they could be, especially if you based on the drawing of the map on wartime pictures?

Secondly, I took a stroll along the river to see some of the little cullis type bridges cutting from the town to the river and also studied the embanked railway. Struck me that you really would need to be in an upper story building to see over the embanked railway and I wondered if the LOS special rules do enough justice to just how high the embanked railway actually is. For example, stood in a doorway of a building behind the embanked railway, you aren't seeing anything beyond the embankment of the railway....not even the citadel in some cases (despite it being astonishingly high up).

Finally. Convinced that the strange little road tunnel (the one with the woods on top down near the Leffe Museum) is actually drawn in the wrong direction on the map. If you looked towards this from upper levels of the Citadel you could basically look through the tunnel along the road. On the map is's pointing (if I recall correctly) from hexsides 1-4 whereas I'm convinced it should point from 3-6.

Just wondering whether you'd change this (or even agree) and whether, in scenario design, this is a part of the process or whether once the map is drawn, it's drawn. Intrigued really and nothing more.

It's a great campaign by the way and I urge everyone to buy this when it's out. I firmly believe that it buries anything that's ever come before even having only done a small level of playtesting. It's got pretty much everything in terms of interest levels and excitement. And it's a really original and clever setting. I'm just a little sad that my playtesting with Carl seems to have gone by the wayside. My fault. I thought late evening sessions would be more feasible than I'm finding them to be.
Not all your fault Martin. My only spare time is on weekends until January. With everything I have going on, including keeping up with changes/editing/reformating Dinant, playtest time has become tough. Still, it is saved and it would be worth restarting. When you have a chance, have a gander at some of the changes. There have been some other tweaks as well as we continue to tighten this up. Those releases are down the road. The next set of tweaks I suspect will get the CG to near done status.

There are still several groups playtesting as we speak. The feedback as always is priceless.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mate, it's a beautiful town and it, and the area, are really quite cosmopolitan and romantic.

There's also a Leffe museum there and it's where Adolph Sax came from so a lot of references to him there (giant saxophones on the main bridge for example).

LOADS of really pleasant restaurants down the riverside....they do this really cute thing whereby even though there's a main road between the restaurants and the river they set up a sort of annex restaurant across the road where you can eat and drink next to the river. Imagine a row of restaurants with waiters flitting across the road with trays full of food and drinks dodging the traffic. It's really quite amazing to see.

Also a nice bistro at the top of the cable car next to the WW1 military cemetary. You MUST visit the citadel just for the views !

And the Belgians there are really friendly to. We were treated like kings at the restaurant we visited.
Dan stayed at a hotel that was owned by the son of the man who owned it during the war. When he asked Dan what brought him to Dinant, Dan gave an honest answer and the guy was apparently beside himself with interest and joy. Showed some rare pictures of the battle to Dan and drove Dan and his wife around town as Dan inquired about the various places of interest on the map. The map particularly intrigued him. He said it was so accurate, you could use it to get around town even today.

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Thanks Martin, I am seriously going to look into planning this trip, me and the missus are just getting to that point with our kids where it's time to make a bit of time for the two of us - it's been a good long while. It might be a stretch to bring along the HASL and convince the wife to have a CG game overlooking the spot! :)

And thanks to Carl and the many folks who are collaborating on producing this labour of love. This is the side of the hobby that blows me away, not the bile on the Quality thread. Cheers to you all.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is planning to stay a night or two in Dinant the place you want to stay is Auberge de Bouvignes.

Here's the info

Vincent Lagneau
Auberge de Bouvignes
Rue Fétis, 112
B-5500 Dinant
Belgique
Tel : + 32 (0) 82 61 16 00
info@aubergedebouvignes.be
BE 0.430.075.036

It was the nicest experience I've ever had in any hotel. Vincent was a great host. Tell him you're an ASL player and you know me.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sounds like a beautiful setup for an annual tourney?

If anyone is planning to stay a night or two in Dinant the place you want to stay is Auberge de Bouvignes.

Here's the info

Vincent Lagneau
Auberge de Bouvignes
Rue Fétis, 112
B-5500 Dinant
Belgique
Tel : + 32 (0) 82 61 16 00
info@aubergedebouvignes.be
BE 0.430.075.036

It was the nicest experience I've ever had in any hotel. Vincent was a great host. Tell him you're an ASL player and you know me.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
The story of that hero screams for an SSR that allows a Belgian Hero to detonate a DC in his own hex.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The story of that hero screams for an SSR that allows a Belgian Hero to detonate a DC in his own hex.
Agreed

This is an example of why the HOB / random events are some of my favorite features of ASL.

I wanted to 'rep' Phlegm for the After The Battle-esque pictures and hero reference, however my rep gun is X6 apparently.

Last edited:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wanted to 'rep' Phlegm for the After The Battle-esque pictures and hero reference, however my rep gun is X6 apparently.
I gave him some. Anyone else should feel free to give him more.

[I want a copy of that comic book photo album, too.]

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm trying to do a scenario on this action. But right now it's just an idea.

It does scream out to be done. Just have to make it into something that plays well. The German will have probably less than a company of motorcycle troops possibly an armored car. The Belgians ... .??? An engineer platoon possibly HIP charged with detonating the bridge.

Now making it into a playable scenario that's the fun part.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting the big geo board scenario FINALE ONHAYE a run through. Getting things ready to submit to MMP. Carl's getting the CG testing and rules ready and Nadir is putting in the changes based on my trip to Dinant.

It'll ship on a Monday.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had no idea what anyone was referring to in the French module update thread, but I take it *this* is the Dinant that will be included in the Croix de Guerre reprint?