Dinant HASL

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, you have to establish a method of dealing with prisoners. Early on they can be a problem.
Indeed. It took the Stalag kitchen staffs MONTHS to get the Vichyssoise just right.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then how can you build the Atlantic Wall?

JR
The prisoners have to be "Retrained" to get that engineer vibe.

Prisoners can be a real concern for the Germans in the early going. Dragging a squad of prisoners around into CC isn't something you want to do on a regular basis. The German has to use some of his forces to manage the prisoners and get them back,across the river.gathering and moving 8 or more squads and HS can be like herding cats.

Both sides have some unique problems to deal with in the CG. The french have to buy their reimforcement groups a CG Date in advance. This makes anticipating what is going to be needed quite important. While on the German side in addition to the aforementioned prisoner infestation. There is the problem of moving what you need where you need it on the east side of the river. Getting the trucks carrying the bridge sections through Dinants narrow streets to the river and hooked up with sufficient engineers while trying to secure the far shore and cliffs is something very different to what most ASLers are familiar with.

By themselves these things are simply tactical puzzles. But when you're under heavy fire they can become major problems quite quickly.

I've attached a picture of the congestion around the area where a ferry is operating and bridge construction has begun.

It more fun than it looks. Until you hear artillery or planes.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, needless to say....I am super stoked about ordering this HASL for my gaming table! I would like a good playtesting and solid research, but being 55 years old, its also about time! LOL

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am interested!! I have been looking at photos of Dinant on the internet and I am amazed also at how great a job Nadir Elfarra did translating all that into a spectacular game map!!

Please post. I think Dan is heading for Dinant himself this weekend as well ~~

Rgds,
Jack

I went to Dinant a few weeks back. It's an amazing place. The citadel is especially stunning.

I'll post some photos if anyone's interested

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interested!! I have been looking at photos of Dinant on the internet and I am amazed also at how great a job Nadir Elfarra did translating all that into a spectacular game map!!

Please post. I think Dan is heading for Dinant himself this weekend as well ~~

Rgds,
Jack
Packing as we speak! Looking forward to spending a couple of days there.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Packing as we speak! Looking forward to spending a couple of days there.
Loads round there...short train rides/car drives to all the early WW2 sites. If you're into WW1, a half hour train ride from Verdun, and the US fighting there around the Argonne.....found lots of US monuments an cemeteries there and around Reims when I was driving around there last week.

And Dinant is only an hour drive from Bastogne also.

Dunno why I'm telling you this....you probably know it all already :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well......if no one else is interested I certainly am!! Please describe everything on your trip. I am personally a HUGE fan of the After the Battle series of volumes on WW1 and WW2. I find incredible fascination at reviewing those comparative photographs and wish I could travel Europe extensively to stand there myself.

From the pictures that I have seen of the Dinant surroundings it is rather a dramatic looking town and landscape, isn't it?

Stephen

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please Martin, do post away. Skype butchered those shots you sent me a while back.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin, please post any pictures you might have of Dinant and surrounding areas. We'll tell stories when I return.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dan,
What new types of counters will represented in the Dinant HASL?

French only have three types in the basic French core OoB.
I believe there's a new German unit.

It's the drunk 1-(1)-10 squad.

At the beginning of the German RPh any German MMC in a cellar must take a NTC (leadership NA). Failure of this roll will cause replacement by a Berserk 1-(1)-10 but are TI for the remainder of the turn. In their next MPh they will charge the nearest brothel. They may enter enemy unit's locations without stopping. They have 1FP factor (representing full bottles of champagne) that can only be used as PBF/TBPF/CC with no modification for range. Upon reaching a brothel the unit becomes TI for a number of turns equal to a dr (or a DR if it is the Moulin Rouge). Upon the end of this time, the unit is replaced with a conscript 436/226.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that I need another Session Lager....

In any event, quite excited to see this HASL see print -- the teaser here have been quite enticing....

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan,
What new types of counters will represented in the Dinant HASL?

French only have three types in the basic French core OoB.
Hi Kevin. Not much in the way of new counters. 4-6-8 AE's for the Germans. Pontoon bridge sections will be a little different, along with ferries and pulley counters. The French get their own planes, which until now I believe, they do not have.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Kevin. Not much in the way of new counters. 4-6-8 AE's for the Germans. Pontoon bridge sections will be a little different, along with ferries and pulley counters. The French get their own planes, which until now I believe, they do not have.
Carl, thanks.

The French airplanes, are they "Bi-planes"? Don't remember ever seeing pictures or reading about French aircraft involved in any fighting.

Cool, another "new" German counter to the counter mix. Going to need another Plano 3750.