CG organizational advice

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My resistance to VASL is not about dissing the value of VASL. I'm "pro" VASL. I'm happy it exists and that players, such as yourself, are able to play opponents regardless of location, etc. The merits of VASL are well accepted by the community and I'm not challenging that. I don't want to play VASL for a very simple reason. I work as a systems administrator and have my face buried in computers all day long. I don't want to play ASL that way. I came back to ASL after playing computer games exclusively for 15 years specifically for ftf play and the tactile feel of game components. It's a preference I'm not willing to compromise. We humans aren't built to sit and stare at a computer monitor all day. I tolerate it for my occupation but not in my hobbies. I'd rather not play. If local play completely dried up, I'd wait for one of the ASL players I know in the Seattle area to travel my way (I live in eastern Washington state), or vice-versa, or I'd strive to make a trip every couple of years to one of the ASL tournaments in my state to see folks and get my games in.
In that case I'd second the recommendation for a Lone Canuck CG or something smaller from MMP such as Gavutu-Tanambogo or Singling where the CG dates are more along the lines of large scenarios and might be able to be played in a day on smaller maps.

Either way - good luck - face to face is my preferred option too.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Why no VASL out of interest?

If you simply don't like it, having tried it, then that's understandable. But get over the initial quirkiness an it's wonderful.

I actually think vASL is easier than FTF these days for me. I love both. And love meeting my ASL friends and playing across the table. But vASL has so much going for it

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
All this talk of board setups...

When me and my pal were in our early twenties he had the good fortune to have a cellar which we set RB up in for long term play. Problem was the cellar would drop little specks of black dust down onto the map. He decided one evening to use one of those small hand held hoovers to pick up the specks, assuming that it wouldn't be powerful enough to pick up the counters with it if he was careful.....WHOOOOMMMM, and half the Russian defenders were sucked up the tube

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If you simply don't like it, having tried it, then that's understandable. But get over the initial quirkiness an it's wonderful.

I actually think vASL is easier than FTF these days for me. I love both. And love meeting my ASL friends and playing across the table. But vASL has so much going for it
It's a preference. I spend all my work day sitting in front of computers and before I was married (2nd time) and had children, I used to spend all night in front of them too at home playing PC games. As gamers, we all know the pitfalls of sedentary lifestyles. Weight issues not withstanding, sitting in that idle position for so long led to physical problems including lower back disc pain, overworked neck and shoulder muscles from working the mouse (right hand ... I used to call it the "claw") and keyboard extension gamepads (left hand) for hours and hours on end, etc. I've actually had to do physical therapy for some of this stuff. The occupational hazards are one thing. I'm a sys admin (primarily Linux). That's how I make my living. But entertainment/hobbies are something different. So I decided to cut the computer games out of my life when my son was born 5 years ago and went back to analog gaming which rekindled a 20 year old flame for tabletop ASL. I haven't looked back since. I also play FFG's X-Wing Miniatures game and am an old Starfleet Battles player. And despite both of these games, like ASL, having online communities that play together using VASSAL, I won't play them that way.

As I stated in a previous post, I'm thrilled VASL exists because it keeps a lot of people playing that otherwise would have no opponents because of locale and ASL being a niche hobby within a niche hobby. It's just not for me.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

When me and my pal were in our early twenties he had the good fortune to have a cellar which we set RB up in for long term play. Problem was the cellar would drop little specks of black dust down onto the map. He decided one evening to use one of those small hand held hoovers to pick up the specks, assuming that it wouldn't be powerful enough to pick up the counters with it if he was careful.....WHOOOOMMMM, and half the Russian defenders were sucked up the tube
OH NOES!!!

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In that case I'd second the recommendation for a Lone Canuck CG or something smaller from MMP such as Gavutu-Tanambogo or Singling where the CG dates are more along the lines of large scenarios and might be able to be played in a day on smaller maps.

Either way - good luck - face to face is my preferred option too.
Yes, I think that might be a good consideration. I think we'll look at some mini-CGs too.

generalzhukov

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Wow! Hilarious story! Was he able to extract his card board comrades and defenders of Mother Russia from the bowels of the vacuum machine?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm remember someone having a table with a second top. It was a thick plywood table top with an identical piece of plywood as a second layer. After you're finished, you leave the game setup then lay down pieces of 2" x 4" on the edges and in the middle for support where there's no counters. Then lay the second piece of plywood over the top. The kid(s) don't see what's underneath and you can use the table top for other games, activities etc.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Look into jigsaw folders. You get sets that allow you to build the jogsaw on a board and then it goes into a case with a foam overlay to be put away.
Consider the use of VASL for retaining situations.
It will take a fair time to set up in the first place but the take down of the forces should be fairly quick as generally, although there is some movement, not all the forces need moved. Each player can keep his own sides recorded. Then the counters go into small boxes with a note of roughly where they were taken from. Again, this is not ideal but I have doneit and it added half an hour set up time to each session.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It's a preference. I spend all my work day sitting in front of computers and before I was married (2nd time) and had children, I used to spend all night in front of them too at home playing PC games. As gamers, we all know the pitfalls of sedentary lifestyles. Weight issues not withstanding, sitting in that idle position for so long led to physical problems including lower back disc pain, overworked neck and shoulder muscles from working the mouse (right hand ... I used to call it the "claw") and keyboard extension gamepads (left hand) for hours and hours on end, etc. I've actually had to do physical therapy for some of this stuff. The occupational hazards are one thing. I'm a sys admin (primarily Linux). That's how I make my living. But entertainment/hobbies are something different. So I decided to cut the computer games out of my life when my son was born 5 years ago and went back to analog gaming which rekindled a 20 year old flame for tabletop ASL. I haven't looked back since. I also play FFG's X-Wing Miniatures game and am an old Starfleet Battles player. And despite both of these games, like ASL, having online communities that play together using VASSAL, I won't play them that way.

As I stated in a previous post, I'm thrilled VASL exists because it keeps a lot of people playing that otherwise would have no opponents because of locale and ASL being a niche hobby within a niche hobby. It's just not for me.
Totally understand that.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Wow! Hilarious story! Was he able to extract his card board comrades and defenders of Mother Russia from the bowels of the vacuum machine?
They fought their way through dust, dirt, and hell, but made their way back to friendly lines yes :)

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snap pictures of the map. The home player sets it back up before each session. A pain and big stacks would have to be written down, but it will work and is cheap, too.

Use containers only for the pieces on the map...don't throw them back in with your regular pieces.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snap pictures of the map. The home player sets it back up before each session. A pain and big stacks would have to be written down, but it will work and is cheap, too.

Use containers only for the pieces on the map...don't throw them back in with your regular pieces.
Basically this is what we do...and since we usually play at a local game store, we allow extra time for set up and take down. Cell phone photographs at the end of the session are a big help in clarify mistakes during the next set up.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
He decided one evening to use one of those small hand held hoovers to pick up the specks, assuming that it wouldn't be powerful enough to pick up the counters with it if he was careful.....WHOOOOMMMM, and half the Russian defenders were sucked up the tube
Those Russians apparently had an encounter of the third kind with a yet unknown German Wunderwaffe. Oh, the ingeniuety, the triumph of engineering...

von Marwitz

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I wish I was more computer savvy. I tried to download it a few years ago and just couldn't do it right. The only thing I can do computer wise is point and click, past that, I'm totally lost..

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia

Put a numbered chit on each stack & the stack goes into that numbered container cell. Can have several colors of chits so you can label a group of stacks with the same color, and don't have small font 3 digit numbers to read. Can use alphanumeric as well.

A radical solution is to mount the map on a thick board, and drill a hole in the center of each hex. You drill holes in the counters, and stick a wire thru the stack. Using a drill press & a fixture it should take less time than clipping a counter. The upper end of the wire has an L shape. Then you can hang the map up on the wall, or lean it slightly against the wall. Might want to create a child-proof cover for it. Some sort of self-healing polymer as a final layer would keep the pin tight.