Country
llNew Zealand
Hi Everyone,

I think the list of official ASL releases this year has been the following:
  • AP4
  • VOTG
  • Singling HASL
Have I missed anything?

I am assuming that we won't be seeing the BRTGG / Map Bundle / DB3 reprint / J2 reprint / J8 / AP5 this year. Hopefully these can make their appearance early in 2009, along with COB later on (I'm an optimist) :)

So what do people think about the official releases from 2008?
Where you expecting more/less?
Are you happy with the product that was released?

My own 2 cents - VOTG appears to be a winner, and for those that can get their heads around the Bocage/Wall Advantage rules AP4 seems to offer some very fun scenarios.

CraigBenn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VOTG was fantastic - best ASL I've played.
AP4 I have but not played yet.
Singling didn't really appeal.

Through various arcane incantations, pentagrams and threats I made a copy of COB appear, so I now have all the core modules except DB3. Allthough I can live without the allied minors - I need those overlays.

I'm now at the stage where I have far more than I can possibly play, so I don't really need anything but...

Nothing's in print! No Desert, No PTO - even no Beyond Valour. That sucks.
Part of attracting people into the system is them having their own kit, and slowly expanding their collection - it appeals deeply to "the kid with a sticker album" nestled within our psyche - if you don't have counters to fondle, why bother with the rulebook? - if you don't have the rulebook - why not keep with Starter Kit?

And before anyone starts on business realities - I know things are realistically as good as they are going to get - and I am part of a really really small group. But it still sucks.

Last edited:

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
VOTG was fantastic - best ASL I've played.
AP4 I have but not played yet.
Singling didn't really appeal.

Through various arcane incantations, pentagrams and threats I made a copy of COB appear, so I now have all the core modules except DB3. Allthough I can live without the allied minors - I need those overlays.

I've now at the stage where I have far more than I can possibly play, so I don't really need anything but...

Nothing's in print! No Desert, No PTO - even no Beyond Valour. That sucks.
Part of attracting people into the system is them having their own kit, and slowly expanding their collection - it appeals deeply to "the kid with a sticker album" nestled within our psyche - if you don't have counters to fondle, why bother with the rulebook? - if you don't have the rulebook - why not keep to Starter Kit.

And before anyone starts on business realities - I know things are realistically as good as they are going to get - and I am part of a really really small group. But it still sucks.
The optimist in me is hoping that once the conversion to digital format is complete (2 or 3 years away?) we will see a much reduced OOP time for each of the core modules. :)

In the meantime MMP are in a difficult position - they have to rebuild the core module artwork into digital format - a mammoth task. Getting the Map Bundle completed should help with the reprint of the modules already converted to the digital format (BV3, FKAC). The current situation with the core modules is not good, and is going to get worse when YANKS goes OOP. We should see reprints of FKAC, BV3 and DB3 next year and hopefully COB also. This will put a lot of the missing core back into gamers hands. I wouldn't hold my breath for HL and YANKS next year though.

This is all guesswork on my part, of couse. It would be great to hear something from the good folks at MMP.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
IMO and with MMP's performance history in mind, there is no way we will see DB3 or a Map Bundle in 2008.

2008 had promise at the beginning of the year, but I'd call it an average year at best at the end of the day. I don't consider VotG to be a 2008 product as it was well due in 2007, but MMP failed to deliver on that timeline.

AP4 and Singling are decent releases, but I don't consider them "essential ASL". More important stuff like DB3 and the Map Bundle still haven't happened, with no comprehensible timeline in store. More stuff slipped in and out of print this year.

A better year than the near train wreck of 2007 but MMP could do a lot better. Cheers to Chas Argent for his effectiveness with APs, but I don't think MMP should be emphasizing scenario packs when there are more important ASL releases to get done, IMO.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Portal baiting aint kool, you should be ashamed of yourself :p

Scott
I know you are kidding :D but just to be clear - I am not looking to start a flamewar or to MMP bash.

What about you Scott - any thoughts on AP4/VOTG/Singling HASL that you would like to share?

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
AP4 has been excellent so far, although I have opinions as to the balance on some scenaria after having played many of them twice and some three times.

VoTG, nice product but I've only found time to play one small scenario.

Bought Singling. Thinking now I could have not bought it and wouldn't miss it.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers to Chas Argent for his effectiveness with APs,
Yep.
Chas has done a GREAT job with shepherding the scenario designers,
board designers and playtesters for the AP's!:hail:
VOTG was/is fantastic!
co

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Things are progressing, not as fast as most would want, but again it's not MMPs day job.
This is still an after hours operation done mainly for the love of the game.
The thankless task of rebuilding takes time, but has to be done to facilitate speedier production later.

2008 has added some nice official products, and the TPPs have contributed with quite a bit of nice stuff.

Next year should be even better.
Here's hoping that the backlog of reprints gets dealt out and some fresh material surfaces.
Obviously at least one AP and a Journal will.

scrub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just want to say that my introduction to ASL was this year and I'm not an old school player or grognard so I have to voice my disappointment with the difficulty I've had produring product.

ASLSK2 was actually the first thing I picked up because SK1 was OOS and I had to hunt around online for it. As it turns out, online seems to be the best place for finding any ASL/MMP product. I was informed by my FLGS that MMP has no Canadian distributor and I had to rely on ye olde Internet for everything. (Let's not get into the problem of all my MMP stuff going through Sweden before crossing in Canada...)

It is kind of weird that the only ASL product I've been able to get from the actual publisher has been back issues of Operations (for their SK scenarios -- thank God I actually like the other MMP wargames and have been hooked on Gamers stuff so the content has actually been relevant). It absolutely boggles my mind that as I think about graduating from SK to full ASL I have come face to face with the OOS wall. How is it possible that a critical module like Beyond Valor is unavailable anywhere?

Though it's probably been said here a million times and I don't want to start another flame war... let me just join the chorus then. I like ASL. I like the product, the game, and the idea of ASL. I like MMP and the Gamers and for my own selfish reasons I want them to be successful so I can continue to enjoy their products for a long time. They have got to get their stuff in order and at bare minimum carry ASLSK 1-3, the RB, and BV with mapboards for individual order. Who knows how many potential ASLers are lost to this logistical nightmare?

Anyways, knowing what I know now I realize that the ASLers' adage of buying anything ASL related whenever it's in print is no exaggeration. I'll be picking up VotG and AP4 asap.

Last edited:

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Anyways, knowing what I know now I realize that the ASLers' adage of buying anything ASL related whenever it's in print is no exaggeration. I'll be picking up VotG and AP4 asap.
If you don't already have YANKS I would suggest getting it soon - MMP have flagged that stocks are getting low and it might be some time before we see it again as it will need rebuilding in digital format (after DB3/COB/HL).

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pick up Pegasus Bridge while you can. It's only $15 and it's very fun.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
VoTG is excellent - played 3 or 4 from it and would love to play a CG.
AP4 - haven't got it yet.....
Singling - kind of had to, disappointed that there are only 2 scenarios for it in the mag (but there is a nifty one on the Singling map in the MwT Carpiquet scenarios :) Just tooting mu own horn shamelessly......)

I'll be surprised if there's anything else. I've no money so it doesn't bother me.......

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Yep.
Chas has done a GREAT job with shepherding the scenario designers,
board designers and playtesters for the AP's!:hail:
VOTG was/is fantastic!
co
Ditto that on the Chas front. Best thing that has happened to MMP this year. The AP work has been streamlined and is progressing nicely. Way to GO!!!!

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
scrub,

Be sure to try the Sentry Box in Calgary if you want ASL through a Canadian source. They have lots of good stuff in stock, including a bunch of different SKs and BV3.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
scrub,

Be sure to try the Sentry Box in Calgary if you want ASL through a Canadian source. They have lots of good stuff in stock, including a bunch of different SKs and BV3.
Finally saw the new rules binders in there the other day; nice work on them. I mentioned in the other thread - Sentry Box prices are due to go up again soon due to rises in the value of the U.S. dollar so best to do your shopping soon, if they changes haven't gone into effect already.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know you are kidding :D but just to be clear - I am not looking to start a flamewar or to MMP bash.

What about you Scott - any thoughts on AP4/VOTG/Singling HASL that you would like to share?
AP 4 is great if your an official only type of player, but too me, this scenario pack was very bland IE most of the scenarios pretty much looked the same kinda reminded me of Shwerepunkts design style. The VC's are pretty much the same, take x number of buildings and so on. Now if you want a great pack of scenarios on D-Day, get HoB Hitting the Beachead or CH! Busting the Bocage.

VotG is ok if your a big fan of Stalingrad city fights and enjoy grinding your way around rubble, burning terrain and fortifications. Some huge rules changes from the official core rules could have been left out IE Recon and radios for Russian Armor in 42. Heck, in the core rules, umits lose concralment via recon, now they dont in VotG. Makes buying recon a fairly worthless move. Anyway, many other problems with this module that should have been thought through before release, hard to read map, the depleted status of units can really cause both sides serious problems in trying to play out the campaigns also. Lastly, it really is no fun playing the Russians, your just a punching bag for the Germans.

Did not buy Op 1, not gonna pay 40+ bucks for a map and two scenarios. All in all, for those whom are serious MMP fan boys, this is good year, for the rest of us, we got VotG with warts and all, a bland pack of scenarios on a tired and over used front of the war. Too me, MMP does not have their hearts in this game anymore and its showing.

Scott

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
VotG is AWESOME! No doubt about it. AP4 very cool. Couldn't get into Operations Special. But is that ALL? Lame: need more please

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AP4 is very good, AP5 will be as good, if not better. Both are a marked imprvement over AP3.

I have played more VotG than all my other AH/MMP HASL put together. I have enjoyed every scenario I have played. The Germans certainly push the Russians around in The First Bid, but have to be careful doing so or they will not have the concentration needed to win the end game.

Eviction Notice sees the Russians pushig the Germans around a fair bit.

I have'nt played the CGs so cannot comment on that.

I didn't buy the Operations special addition and probably will not. To little return for the outlay.

There was some really good TTP stuff this year as well....

Bill