Which of these will be most likely published next?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have a similar saying here in the USA--all women are beautiful in the dark.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just hope they redesign the French OOB to make the Free French represented by their own counters and not a wacky mix like we have now.

The way I see it, originally it was a cost cutting measure for something they probably though would have few scenarios, so the effort wasn't worth it. Now I think things are different, so hopefully it is changed for the next release.
At a minimum, any 'new/improved ' Free French counters should have an increased broken morale level, i.e., the same as that on the unbroken side.

The combat record of Free French forces in North Africa, Italy, France 1944 would certainly seem to support this change.

Excellent avatar BTW.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
At a minimum, any 'new/improved ' Free French counters should have an increased broken morale level, i.e., the same as that on the unbroken side.

The combat record of Free French forces in North Africa, Italy, France 1944 would certainly seem to support this change.

Excellent avatar BTW.
Free French infantry are represented by British counters anyway, so there is no need for such a change.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Free French infantry are represented by British counters anyway, so there is no need for such a change.
Thank you, I'm aware of A25.5.
My point is that with the recent tendency by some TPP's to produce new, nationality -specific counters, I would hope that the Free French would be assigned a higher broken side morale value to distinguish them from their 1940 comrades.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You want the Free French to have a higher broken morale than British counters? Sounds unlikely to me (pending yet-to-be-cited historical evidence to the contrary, of course).

If you want them to have higher broken morale than regular French counters, then with a wave of my magic wand, I declare that to be already and always true. Free French don't use French infantry counters. A25.5 is not the rule that you need to be aware of, it's A25.53. All the details are there.

It's a silly debate regardless. MMP are not going to introduce a new counter set that would require revision of existing scenarios, and no-one has yet provided evidence that the Free French need the additional squad types that the Finns needed (and received).

Now, whether the Free French should use British counter values with a different colour scheme -- that's a separate question (and one which I have no great interest in, personally). Were there many situations where British and Free French forces fought side-by-side, which might cause confusion in an ASL scenario? (Honest question, I don't know the answer.) If not, then I don't see a lot of point in providing alternate counters.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
You want the Free French to have a higher broken morale than British counters? Sounds unlikely to me (pending yet-to-be-cited historical evidence to the contrary, of course).

If you want them to have higher broken morale than regular French counters, then with a wave of my magic wand, I declare that to be already and always true. Free French don't use French infantry counters. A25.5 is not the rule that you need to be aware of, it's A25.53. All the details are there.
Those were the points that I was underlining in my question.
I don't see why Free French should have better broken morale than British.

About having Free French in another colour than British tan, it could be anoying when they are opposing Vichy units (in Syria, for example).

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those were the points that I was underlining in my question.
I don't see why Free French should have better broken morale than British.

About having Free French in another colour than British tan, it could be anoying when they are opposing Vichy units (in Syria, for example).
Depends on the color chosen. I personally would like to see them have their own nationality color.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'd rather keep the set of "official" counter colors at its current level - my tower of Raaco boxes is high enough as it is (the ASL gear lies in a spare bedroom, and I have to explain the thing to each incredulous guest that stays home for a night or two).

So, I'm perfectly happy with the Free French using British counters. I did buy BFP's Poland in Flames, but I'd be even happier with it if it had just used the standard Allied Minor color scheme for the Poles. More of the same isn't what I'm after, even to represent my own nation's Free French.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You want the Free French to have a higher broken morale than British counters?
When did I ever say that?

I was referring to the Third Party Producers who are/may/might be producing Free French counters for use in place of the MMP British MMC counters. It would appear that Broken Ground Design is in the process of doing so. My point was that such new, TPP counters should include a higher broken morale level than the BLUE MMP FRENCH counters.

And since we're quoting the ASLRB, any NEW, TPP, FREE FRENCH counters could include the markings for Assault Fire (7.36) capability per the exception listed in A25.53.

Personally, I don't have a huge interest in playing the Free French (EXC. North Africa). My personal preference is that it is nice to have special capabilities (assault fire, smoke exponents, AE, underlined morale) included upon the counter itself rather than buried within a parenthetical exception inside the ASLRB.
Again, personally, using British counters to play as the Free French is mildly annoying in the same manner as those SSR's proclaiming 'all level one hills are open ground; all grain is brush, etc.

The debate truly becomes silly when someone assigns statements to another which were never stated.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'd rather keep the set of "official" counter colors at its current level - my tower of Raaco boxes is high enough as it is (the ASL gear lies in a spare bedroom, and I have to explain the thing to each incredulous guest that stays home for a night or two).

So, I'm perfectly happy with the Free French using British counters. I did buy BFP's Poland in Flames, but I'd be even happier with it if it had just used the standard Allied Minor color scheme for the Poles. More of the same isn't what I'm after, even to represent my own nation's Free French.
This!

von Marwitz

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Whether they have higher morale or not, it just makes not very much sense seeing them represented by British (so none of the Garands they would have been using in the late war) but without the No Cowering rule that British, Canadians, and even French Canadians get. Yes I looked through my scenarios and French Canadians are 'better' than actual French in late war.

I'm not one for unnecessary counters - I don't use Critical Hit counters even for their modules I do have, and I haven't yet unpackaged Poland in Flames because it's more than is necessary. We're not talking about some chrome for one thing - it's a nation which already had its own unique and distinctive color, and the irritation factor as of right now is exactly because the current setup is dumb and makes for actually more clutter and nonsense than if we would just have straight up French OoB.
Another thing is like I said a product of the time. They were just getting things out the door when CdG was released, and nowadays we expect and demand a more complete product that doesn't have any twisty loose ends. I know some people want less for more money but I'm not a rubber band man - I don't buy two of everything, and I have to think my purchases out.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
One could conceive two tone Free French counters : blue in the center, tan on the border.
That way, they could use British equipement and would be distinguished from the Vichy French.

One thing that I don't quite understand in the present CdG mix, are the American green coloured vehicles.
I would make them tan, as I don't recall any Free French infantry using American infantry units.
BTW, I don't seem to remember any scenario with those green coloured French vehicles ever being used...

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I simplify the problem by only playing 1940 France scenarios. Still some of my very favorites. I haven't played in a while and the best thing is knowing quality scenarios that will make it easier to relearn some of the wackier rules.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One could conceive two tone Free French counters : blue in the center, tan on the border.
That way, they could use British equipement and would be distinguished from the Vichy French.

One thing that I don't quite understand in the present CdG mix, are the American green coloured vehicles.
I would make them tan, as I don't recall any Free French infantry using American infantry units.
BTW, I don't seem to remember any scenario with those green coloured French vehicles ever being used...
Almost all of the Provence Pack, for 1.

Quite a few Free French scenarios- in N/W Europe, '44-'45, use yhe US colored vehicles.

I like you color idea for the Free French.