VASLeague 2016, general discussion

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looking for Steffen Knippel. Lets get our round started.
We have begun Parry and Strike (OA18), with my Soviet armour poised to enter. MrHonus's German panzers almost own the heights already. Almost.

Fun opponent.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Langer and I are playing SP242 Ciao Gurkha Ciao! I have the Italians, and David the Gurkhas.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
My US attackers overcame Mark Humphries' German defense in AP 100, Coal in their stockings. It is a very interesting and intense scenario, though the margin for error for the Germans is very small indeed.
Alex

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AP100 is very scripted (a hallmark of this designer), if you follow the script, you should have no problem winning as the Americans. Keep a couple of AFV's in the middle to basically guard against an exit attempt by the Germans, then use the overwhelming numbers of HS and armor to take out the Germans from their positions. There are not enough Germans to really stop the Americans and with Halftrack freeze sleeze you should have no problem taking the buildings. Very very tough on the Germans, especially if your good with your gyro rules and infantry smoke rules. On Roar it shows the Americans a little bit ahead but I think American losses were due to poor use of armor. Out of thousands of scenarios pete designs each month, this one was not a good one.

Scott

My US attackers overcame Mark Humphries' German defense in AP 100, Coal in their stockings. It is a very interesting and intense scenario, though the margin for error for the Germans is very small indeed.
Alex

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,
I have not yet played this scenario: AP100 Coal in their Stockings.
However, I find your analysis a little one sided. In reviewing past AARs from Albany, ASLOK, March Madness, St. Louis, and the Bitter Ender, all written by such luminaries as JR Tracy, Stan Jackson, Phil Palmer, Paul Sidhu, (the list goes on), I cannot find even one posting that concurs with yours.
All posts that I reviewed seemed to indicate that this scenario was balanced, fun, and a pleasure for the opponents who commented on it. Also, the winning side seemed to be split right down the middle.
With this in mind, I would be glad to take either side across the table from you if you are coming to ASLOK.
NOw I am not just playing the devil's advocate here. I do agree that certain scenarios can be very unbalanced as is seen in my former posts on Lion in the Field. (Which, BTW, I also was willing to sit down against a good friend who disagreed.) Also, I am not defending any "particular" designer just because he is a local. Again, Lion in the Field is a Bill Sisler design, and their are few whom I have known or gamed with longer than Bill. (BTW, after playing, Bill concurred with my analysis).
So, in closing, everyone is titled to their opinion and free to express. However, I believe when these opinions are expressed, and thusly challenged, one should step up to the plate to defend such positions.
So, I guess I will see you at ASLOK?????

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Dave-

Prefer to play something that is not scripted. Maybe RB One down Two to Go might be the ticket.

Scott

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,
Since one of my degrees is in theater arts, I wouldn't mind playing something "scripted"; and you can play the "lead".....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Dave, the scenario is not fun to play, the movement alone for all those AC's is a real pain in the ass to deal with. My offer stands, if I make it to ASLOK we can do a well designed and fun scenario like RB's One Down, Two to Go. Or some other well designed classic that does not make playing this game a chore.

Scott

Scott,
Since one of my degrees is in theater arts, I wouldn't mind playing something "scripted"; and you can play the "lead".....

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich Domovic's Brit/Amis defeated Jon Cole's Germans in J167 - Hart Attack by the skin of their chinny, chin, chin.

I will post a separate AAR in the appropriate section.

Enjoyed playing Jon for the second time in the VASL league and hope we meet again.

Rich

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ZINSELMEYER robert (American) vs LUNDY darryl (German) will play DB063 - "Murphy, Go Help The British" in the West/Central Region.

Cheers
Darryl's Germans were victorious as he repeatedly hammered my Americans' attempts to get up the Board 9 hills on the south flank. Well played game by a very good opponent. Thanks for the game, Darryl and I look forward to the opportunity to play again.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Eoin Corrigan's Soviets defeated Jason Burnette's Germans in FrF68 No Glory in War.

Great scenario - a whirling AFV battle over one or two crossroads while infantry slog forward in the mud.

Thanks to Jason for an enjoyable game!

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening all you ASL Berzerkers!!

Reporting that Chris Trout's IJA defeated my Americans in our match of J159 "Tropic Lightning."

Good defense. If the American player doesn't properly coordinate his combined arms, I found it
tough going. Got a bit too aggressive with my armor and paid the price for it.

Good Luck to Chris is the next round.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce:nuts:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl Nogueira's Americans defeated Brian Roundhill's Germans in G29 Shoot n Scoot. Things were looking grim for Biran, but real life interuppeted on him to prevent a conclusion of the match. He graciously resigned.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We have begun Parry and Strike (OA18), with my Soviet armour poised to enter. MrHonus's German panzers almost own the heights already. Almost.

Fun opponent.
Steffen Knippel's Russians defeated David Perham's Germans in "Parry and Strike" (OA18). (I updated ROAR)

Board 47's poorly located hex centre dots on the hill caused some consternation, briefly, but we resolved the matter quickly and amicably and moved on. (I'll have to watch out for that board from now on.)

David (MrHonus) is a skilled and patient opponent, and I'd gladly play him again.

Last edited:

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Langer and I are playing SP242 Ciao Gurkha Ciao! I have the Italians, and David the Gurkhas.
Mike's Italians squeaked by with a win against David's Gurkhas. Good game played with a good opponent

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
hello
finally the rally phase has ended. The new site seems ok. It has taken too much time make this self rally but at least we are back.
I already have most results of the 4th round. VASLeague 2016 continues with the 5th round ( hopefully in a couple of days) for the TOP League and for the Second Line League only. The last (5th) round will end at mid-October given the fact that the start has been delayed so much. As per tournament rules European/Oceanian, East and Central/West Leagues instead have only four rounds, thus they ends with this (last) Fourth Round. Wait for a general update in a few hours.
thank you

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hello
finally the rally phase has ended. The new site seems ok. It has taken too much time make this self rally but at least we are back.
I already have most results of the 4th round. VASLeague 2016 continues with the 5th round ( hopefully in a couple of days) for the TOP League and for the Second Line League only. The last (5th) round will end at mid-October given the fact that the start has been delayed so much. As per tournament rules European/Oceanian, East and Central/West Leagues instead have only four rounds, thus they ends with this (last) Fourth Round. Wait for a general update in a few hours.
thank you
I hope that you meant mid-November since over the next couple of weeks I will have very limited availability.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I still wait three results, but since only TOP VASLeague and Second Line League have five rounds, We have the first virdicts:

Chris Mazzei wins the European/Oceanian League, while for the silver medal ( to get the card to play in the TOP VASLeague nex year) we still have to wait two results Biserni - Penabella and Hofland -Sauliere that could change the buholz coefficent of the players currently running for the second place.
Jim Taylor wins the East League, silver medal for Brian Wiersma beating Kevin Killeen for a better buholz coefficent and Jason Wert because he won in the h-t-h game they played. They are both promoted in the TOP VASLeague 2017.
David Perham wins the Central/West League, while for the silver medal ( to get the card to play in the TOP VASLeague nex year) we still have to wait one result : Bock - Lehman. Darry Lundy and Lawrence Rohlfing could both reach the second place, all depends on Bock -Lehman result, since they could give Buholz points changing the actual standings.

congrats to Chris Mazzei, Jim Taylor, Brian Wiersma and David Perham that are already sure to play in the TOP VASLeague 2017!

VASLeague Round 5

YOUNG kenneth vs FORTENBERRY gary
CLEAVIN aaron vs CARIOLATO paolo
DOMOVIC rich vs LAUGER paul
CATANZARO enrico vs GARCIA SILVA pablo
HAMMOND charles vs PAGNI andrea
WITHAAR hank vs FEINSTEIN robert
COLE jon vs NOGUEIRA carl
BEEKMAN edward vs CHAMBERLAND paul
ROSSO vic vs CORRIGAN eoin
WASSERMAN jeff vs KLAUTKY mike
LOPER robert vs ROUNDHILL brian
BOUDRENGHIEN françois vs BRACKIN jim
VOZNIC ryan vs FLEMING will
KOESTLER alex vs BURNETTE Jason
HOULISTON craig vs HOLST scott
LE BILLAN laurent vs HUMPHRIES mark

Second Line League Round 5

BENDAZZI davide vs BAL jas
VICCA martin vs GUERRERO miguel
ROUTH brian vs JENSEN lars peder
CHAPMAN chris vs WILLOW will
MARTINEZ juanjo vs MORO joe
MCDOWELL miguel vs ARRIETA rob
TROUT chris vs HAASL david
TREZZA gary vs BOYLE jack
WATSON mark vs BEATON andy
TEWKSBURY chuck vs GRIFFA alberto
MASON pierce vs DUMMY player

As this round begins with an heavy delay for the known long malfunction of GS, it seems fair give more time to end the games. Thus for the second time in history a VASLeague round ends officially not at the usual last day of the 2nd-4th-6h-8th or 10th month of the year but at the 15th day of 11th month (i.e. 15 November)

Please let me know as soon as possible scenarios, sides and results.
Thank you

Attachments

Last edited: