VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm, while the 120% size would be great for FtF, I do not think it is critical for VASL. You can press the button to make all units disappear/reappear if unsure of the terrain, after all. And in case you need to figure out of a LOS exists or not, that 20% extra without removing the units will not help much.

von Marwitz

mryder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, while the 120% size would be great for FtF, I do not think it is critical for VASL. You can press the button to make all units disappear/reappear if unsure of the terrain, after all. And in case you need to figure out of a LOS exists or not, that 20% extra without removing the units will not help much.

von Marwitz
I was just thinking (watch out) that it would save time for me while playing SASL because I sometimes make more than 1 LOS check when I need to check for S? activation. And maybe 120% isn't enough, maybe 130 or 140%? To be clear, I have to disappear the units to check where the obstacle is and if I'm in Orchard, Woods or what have you.
Matt

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
It's useful for VASL when you are a "wall of counters" mode. There was a decent thread on it a couple months back. Short version, allow for map scaling independent of counter scaling (ex: deluxe sizing with more sizes to choose from).

mryder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's useful for VASL when you are a "wall of counters" mode. There was a decent thread on it a couple months back. Short version, allow for map scaling independent of counter scaling (ex: deluxe sizing with more sizes to choose from).
Yes, that's what I would like. I'm new to VASL, so I'm a little behind.
Matt

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was watching a game today using the VASL winter apparel. What was remarkable is that the revised Marsh artwork does not seem to transform to winter (picture attached).

View attachment 40804

All the best
von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am preparing to play J112 "Prelude to Dying".
SSR 2 changes all Marsh to Mudflats.

While VASL v5.9.3 allows to adjust the water-level of the Streams (and thus turn Marsh adjacent to a Stream into Mudflats), I have not found a way to change Marsh NOT adjacent to a Stream into Mudflats.

I have the feeling, that this function must be there somewhere. Can you help me out?

von Marwitz

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am noit sure if this is new, but I have not noticed it before

The new perimiter objects in the lasterst version of VASL do not go away when you press the remove all perimiter button

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Improvement suggestion

New Suggestion

Add capability to mark MMC and SMC counters with the status on the counter itself using quick commands. This would greatly reduce counter clutter

Alternative 1
Mark the counter the same way as berserker but use sides not used before (sides and bottom)

Alternative 2
Create small "boxes" on the side of the counter depiction (pick best side) with colored boxes and text Pin, CS, berserk, TI etc. (See picture)

View attachment 45266

/Stefan

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Re: Improvement suggestion

There appears to be a problem with bd 40 under VASL 6.0.3 (and maybe other boards, I haven't checked) -- if you flood the river under Terrain SSR, the marsh hexes adjacent to the river are supposed to turn into river (or "marsh/river", at least) -- but don't.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

HI

On VASL 6.0.3 when using German SS 658 SQ. Using unit right click menu for HOB and then Berserk the 658 becomes a broken 658 marked berserk. Same result when using quick command for berserk (CTRL-R)

/Stefan

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

HI

On VASL 6.0.3 when using German SS 658 SQ. Using unit right click menu for HOB and then Berserk the 658 becomes a broken 658 marked berserk. Same result when using quick command for berserk (CTRL-R)

/Stefan
Are you sure you're using 6.0.3? I tried unsuccessfully to recreate this.

Anyone else?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

When closing the OBA chit window, it does not reopen. Clicking on the OBA button has no effect. Closing the game and reopening it makes the OBA window reappear. Strange behaviour.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

When closing the OBA chit window, it does not reopen. Clicking on the OBA button has no effect. Closing the game and reopening it makes the OBA window reappear. Strange behaviour.
I cannot recreate this issues. What version of VAS(SA)L are you using?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

Vassal 3.2.10
vasl 6.0.2

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well, now it works...
Must have been a gremlin acting in an irrational way. Sorry.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really neat if there was a program that you could run that compared the maps on a computer's vasl map folder with a list of the most current versions. A player could run the program and generate a list of outdated map files.

Thanks for all you do, you loveable map angels.

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately the map/overlay version can only be gleaned by opening the map files (they are ZIP files) which happens when you choose the map/overlay within VASL. VASL will report if you are using an outdated map/overlay version but only after it loads/opens the map/overlay. I would imagine there are some programmers out there that could write something to perform this exercise in bulk. Perhaps if written in Java it could be included within VASL itself as a button or menu choice... "Check all of my board and overlay versions"... and dump the output to the chat window like when extensions are loaded at startup.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really neat if there was a program that you could run that compared the maps on a computer's vasl map folder with a list of the most current versions. A player could run the program and generate a list of outdated map files.

Thanks for all you do, you loveable map angels.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, a detail regarding mapboard 59 upwards struck me which might also apply to some of the Fort-boards from the Action Packs:

As an example of the issue, have a look at VASL bd 61T7, which is a level 1 hill with grain on it.

The printed SK-style board has the crestline highlighted in brown going through the grainfield, where the hill crest is supposed to be.
The VASL board is missing this highlighting of the hill crest.

This can have some consequences regarding LOS.
IIRC, the rules state, that with non-inherent terrain, the hill crest will be defined by the terrain depiction of that non-inherent terrain. I.e. regarding 61T7, the hill crest would run along the outside border of the grainfield.
Basically, the same holds true for the map with the highlighted hill crest running through the grain, however, in some Journal (I think Journal 10), there is some remark that despite not exactly stated in the rules, it is advised to treat that highlighted hill crest as the relevant hill crest and not the outside border of the non-inheren terrain in such cases.

In many cases, even without a highlighted crestline, the crest can be guessed. But there are cases it which guessing is rather difficult and therefore using the "default" of the rules is probable. Consequently, in such a case the outer border of the non-inherent terrain would be used on the VASL version for the bd61 example while the highlighted crestline would be used for the printed bd 61 if the advice of the Journal is adhered to.

Therefore, it would make sense to edit the newer mapboards in their VASL versions to include the highlighted crest lines.

One thing that I do not understand in this context regarding the printed SK style boards is, that highlighted crest lines seem to exist if passing through grain and brush but not woods, which seems kind of odd but should not be our problem here.

von Marwitz