VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The highlighting of the crest lines is there on board 59. I'm not sure why it wasn't used on all boards. I can tell you that VASL has unique colors for brush and grain on the various elevations and this pattern was used to create the LOS data.

Lobster

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I might have found a very minor bug: I use VASSAL 3.2.13 and VASL 6.1.0

When you break a full squad of SS 5-4-8 AE the reduce to a HS - when you flip them back they are full squads again.
Tried the other squads of the black ones: it only happens with the 5-4-8 AE

PS: Is this the right place to write down such findings?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might have found a very minor bug: I use VASSAL 3.2.13 and VASL 6.1.0

When you break a full squad of SS 5-4-8 AE the reduce to a HS - when you flip them back they are full squads again.
Tried the other squads of the black ones: it only happens with the 5-4-8 AE

PS: Is this the right place to write down such findings?
Yes, this is the right place.Thanks for reporting the problem.

But... I was not able to recreate this. Can you describe the specific steps you used in more detail? I did notice that the broken-side morale of the AE 5-4-8 is wrong - it should be 9. I've bugged that. https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/122

Lobster

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes, this is the right place.Thanks for reporting the problem.

But... I was not able to recreate this. Can you describe the specific steps you used in more detail? I did notice that the broken-side morale of the AE 5-4-8 is wrong - it should be 9. I've bugged that. https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/122
Is it not the broken side morale that is wrong - it is 8 for a HS, the problem seems to be that it turns in to a HS therefore it has a broken morale of 8.
I realized that it is a HS when i recognized that there are only two lying depictions on the back of the 5-4-8 AE.

Just checked if the same happens with the normal Wehrmacht 5-4-8 AE - that one is fine but I saw that instead of the AE there is only a circled E in the upper right corner - another very minor bug.

danielt1263

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David, it happens for me too. Path as follows:

1) Place Waffen SS 4-5-8 AE counter on map.
2) Right-click on the counter and select "break" from the popup menu.
3) Move the DM counter out of the way.
Expected: A counter depiction with 3 men on it with a moral of 9.
Actual: A counter depiction with only 2 men on it with a moral of 8.

At this point, if you select SQ/HS from the pop-up menu, it will become a broken full squad (moral 9,) but when you select break again, it is a HS.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David, it happens for me too. Path as follows:

1) Place Waffen SS 4-5-8 AE counter on map.
2) Right-click on the counter and select "break" from the popup menu.
3) Move the DM counter out of the way.
Expected: A counter depiction with 3 men on it with a moral of 9.
Actual: A counter depiction with only 2 men on it with a moral of 8.

At this point, if you select SQ/HS from the pop-up menu, it will become a broken full squad (moral 9,) but when you select break again, it is a HS.
OK - thanks

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 6 LOS issue.

Hexes K1 and K2 contain a single story house. The LOS engine does not recognize it as having a level 1. I noticed it when using a building transformation making all buildings stone and the board was flipped. I recreated the problem with an un-transformed board with normal orientation. As you will probably notice the building depiction does not touch the hex center dot. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the great work. The LOS is pretty awesome. Well done.

Mike

VASL 6.1.0
VASSAL 3.2.11
Board 06 (v6.0)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 6 LOS issue.

Hexes K1 and K2 contain a single story house. The LOS engine does not recognize it as having a level 1. I noticed it when using a building transformation making all buildings stone and the board was flipped. I recreated the problem with an un-transformed board with normal orientation. As you will probably notice the building depiction does not touch the hex center dot. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the great work. The LOS is pretty awesome. Well done.

Mike

VASL 6.1.0
VASSAL 3.2.11
Board 06 (v6.0)
Thanks Mike - I've bugged it. https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/123

I'm hoping to get the board fixes out in the next week or so. FYI

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SUggestion

Add counter or choice that deactivates/removes capability to expand stacks.

To be used before start of game to prevent accidential peeking when setting up.

/S

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
SUggestion

Add counter or choice that deactivates/removes capability to expand stacks.

To be used before start of game to prevent accidential peeking when setting up.

/S
It is already there:
File/Preferences/"General" tab/option "Disable automatic stack display - Use configured control key (CTRL Space) instead?

Another way to archieve this is to place a "?" counter beneath the topmost unconcealed counter and then HIP the "?" counter.
That way, the opponent will only be able to see the topmost unit unconcealed and the height of the stack is not screwed up as the "?" counter is HIP and not visible.

von Marwitz

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is already there:
File/Preferences/"General" tab/option "Disable automatic stack display - Use configured control key (CTRL Space) instead?

Another way to archieve this is to place a "?" counter beneath the topmost unconcealed counter and then HIP the "?" counter.
That way, the opponent will only be able to see the topmost unit unconcealed and the height of the stack is not screwed up as the "?" counter is HIP and not visible.

von Marwitz
Nice tip, Thanks.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Add capabilty of entering/editing/changing information shown on counters when one uses CTRL+I

Would like to remove Smoke etc when depleted...

/S

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
A "nice to have" feature:

Flooding a river or stream will convert all connected marsh hexes into river/stream hexes. That's working fine under VASL so far as I'm aware. VASL also properly does not convert marsh hexes that are not directly connected. No problem there.

However, if you need to do a mass convert of marsh hexes into water (scenario BC15 has prompted this request) there's no way to do it except by using "Ocean" draggable overlays, which is a pain if you have a lot of marsh hexes in your playing area.

Marsh is already an option in the "Transformations" menu; if "pond" or "water obstacle" or however you want to describe it were to be added to that menu, then you would have the "marsh -> pond" option which would do the trick nicely. (Presumably the easiest way to do that would be to do a colour change on the "xxx -> level -1" transformation that already exists?)

I guess that would require an update on every board that features marsh hexes; maybe it could be done at the same time that the buggy PTO "swamp pattern" transformation is fixed?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A "nice to have" feature:

Flooding a river or stream will convert all connected marsh hexes into river/stream hexes. That's working fine under VASL so far as I'm aware. VASL also properly does not convert marsh hexes that are not directly connected. No problem there.

However, if you need to do a mass convert of marsh hexes into water (scenario BC15 has prompted this request) there's no way to do it except by using "Ocean" draggable overlays, which is a pain if you have a lot of marsh hexes in your playing area.

Marsh is already an option in the "Transformations" menu; if "pond" or "water obstacle" or however you want to describe it were to be added to that menu, then you would have the "marsh -> pond" option which would do the trick nicely. (Presumably the easiest way to do that would be to do a colour change on the "xxx -> level -1" transformation that already exists?)

I guess that would require an update on every board that features marsh hexes; maybe it could be done at the same time that the buggy PTO "swamp pattern" transformation is fixed?
Duly noted - thanks Bruce: https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/161

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Very minor glitch: Board 12 "special overlays" -- "The Marketplace at Wormhoudt" is scenario J114, not J118. :)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Board 39 (v6.0): When you do the "remove road" transformation (e.g., PTO) the spaces in hexes D8 and E9 where the sunken road was are filled with Level 2 hill colour, which is quite confusing because it's actually Level 0.

I haven't specifically checked, but this might affect other boards and overlays using sunken roads too. They are 14 (where the sunken areas should become Level -1), 32 (level -1), 41 (level 0), 55 (level -1), 2a/b (level 0), overlay Hd11 (level -1). Overlay RR13 would have the same issue if the railroad was removed (is that even an option?).

Elevated roads may have a similar issue: boards 13, 40, 3a/b (level 1 in all cases) (and overlays RR7, RR8, RR11 and RR12, if removing the railroad is an option; I don't know if you'd need/want different colouring for an embankment (level 0.5 -- a long thin hillock!) as opposed to elevated (level 1)).

I didn't look at any HASL maps or third-party boards.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A suggestion for the next version of VASL, to make it an even better tool for scenario designers. There is already a tool that allows for the filling in of firepower, squad class and so forth on each nationalities counter tray, on a blank counter. However, there is no way to fill in a broken value for those squads. It would be nice if that feature could be expanded to fuller use for MMC, or even if SW values could be changed and so forth, to allow designers to try out new pieces with it.
It would be a nice design tool and make VASL even more valuable to a wider audience, for more diverse reasons.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 39 (v6.0): When you do the "remove road" transformation (e.g., PTO) the spaces in hexes D8 and E9 where the sunken road was are filled with Level 2 hill colour, which is quite confusing because it's actually Level 0.

I haven't specifically checked, but this might affect other boards and overlays using sunken roads too. They are 14 (where the sunken areas should become Level -1), 32 (level -1), 41 (level 0), 55 (level -1), 2a/b (level 0), overlay Hd11 (level -1). Overlay RR13 would have the same issue if the railroad was removed (is that even an option?).

Elevated roads may have a similar issue: boards 13, 40, 3a/b (level 1 in all cases) (and overlays RR7, RR8, RR11 and RR12, if removing the railroad is an option; I don't know if you'd need/want different colouring for an embankment (level 0.5 -- a long thin hillock!) as opposed to elevated (level 1)).

I didn't look at any HASL maps or third-party boards.
I checked the board and this behavior appears to be by design. I'm guessing the thinking is to match the colors used in the crestlines. While I might tend to agree with your proposed change I'd prefer to have Tom weigh in before doing so. -David