Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I like that wooden handrest with which you can beat your computer to pieces if the dicebot screws up! More ready and handy than other tools. :D

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Today I started learning ASLSK .. or really, UN-learning ASL.

The Taiwan ASL'rs Robin Chung & Tou Mu organised their first ASLSK VASL tournament in Q4!! (John Knowles btw, is a great ASL mentor in Taiwan).

They are kind enough to allow me in and I find myself learning what's NOT in the rules. (I took up ASL directly.)

Violence, as it turns out, is pretty direct in ASLSK.

I am starting up my scenario practise with S14 88 at Zon and S53 Workers Unite!, I hope I will do okay!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got to cross of an ASL Bucket List item as my entire available THH complement generated itself after four yes four banzai charges were declared in a game of Bats Outta Hell. Always wanted to try the make THHs after the banzai declaration - to avoid being pinned by a 6 dr. Quite fun, drew every possible fire, all before two tank platoons moved so they got a freebie exit off the map to put my Japanese back in the game now with Marines at 50 CVP and zero EVP and Japanese at 20 EVP so far. ( VC subtract japanese EVP from Marine CVP+EVP total - the Marines need >=59 to win).

This is one cool scenario design - strongly recommend it - and it seems quite balanced with the japanese balance in effect ( 1 extra DC and 1 extra 4-4-8).

Ryan can win if he gets 5 tanks off out of 7 in good order and one in a CC / melee, not enough marine inf points left to do it alone, but they may help if he can get some off with the tanks. The scenario has flip-flopped in the last 3 turns making it a Marine attacking now instead of defending.

:)

KRL, Jon H

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Working on two projects:

1) A set of charts/tables similar to the Rat Charts but larger for my extremely nearsighted eyes.

2) Sorting all of my counters into the Darice containers that have the fixed inserts and molded rims to prevent counter fraternization. Trying to set things up to keep the smallest number of containers possible, yet still have the ability to quickly find a specific counter.

Cheers,

Mark

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2) Sorting all of my counters into the Darice containers that have the fixed inserts and molded rims to prevent counter fraternization. Trying to set things up to keep the smallest number of containers possible, yet still have the ability to quickly find a specific counter.
I've been doing the same over the last week or so. I have most of the info counters clipped and sorted, and am 2/3 of the way through the Russians. I've also clipped and organized all Russian / German 5/8" vehicles and ordnance into coin envelopes with labels.

Here is tray #1 - informational counters
IMG_20170405_144550.jpg

Alan

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I've been doing the same over the last week or so. I have most of the info counters clipped and sorted, and am 2/3 of the way through the Russians. I've also clipped and organized all Russian / German 5/8" vehicles and ordnance into coin envelopes with labels.

Here is tray #1 - informational counters
View attachment 1507

Alan
Here are my Russians. I still have a few more counters to clip but everything from BV and VotG is in here. I still have to integrate the odds and ends out of the other core modules and I'm not punching and clipping FB right now. I'm sure that when I punch and clip Red Factories I will need to make a revision.

Russian OoB.jpeg

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Here are my Russians. I still have a few more counters to clip but everything from BV and VotG is in here. I still have to integrate the odds and ends out of the other core modules and I'm not punching and clipping FB right now. I'm sure that when I punch and clip Red Factories I will need to make a revision.

View attachment 1516

Cheers,

Mark
Nice labels.

von Marwitz

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Nice labels.

von Marwitz
Thank you!

Avery 5434 (1" x 1.5") for the labels. Used the mapcolors RGB values for the background and Calibri 12pt for the font. Any additional info is in Calibri 8pt.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

View attachment 1516

Cheers,

Mark

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Funny how sometimes the slightest hint or influence from others can change your ASL-path into areas previously unexplored. A treasured opponent from my recent past had suggested trying some VotG stuff, a HASL I hadn't even cracked yet. I declined at the time, but some sort of itch was planted that would eventually need scratched. I've recently played a few of the scenarios and greatly enjoyed them. There are somewhat more Night actions for this HASL than for others, so I also figured this was for a reason; to both underline the importance of Night actions in that urban hellhole, and they were probably judged more than fun enough to merit inclusion in the module/Journals. So, I've been retooling my Night acumen lately as well, in order to have a go at the ones in VotG.

By no means avoiding either Night or HASL before, this recent escapade has been a truly enjoyable diversion from my usual ASL-rote. Thanks, Joss!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a 3 inch 3 ring binder and about 100 of the page protectors, if you want to pay shipping their yours. Send me a PM

daniel

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada

View attachment 1516

Cheers,

Mark
I like those containers.
I use 'em too.
The rounded bottoms make it easy to scoop out the counters.

Grimbeard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hmm, last time I wanted Letter-sized protectors I had to ask a colleague to bring some back from a trip to Canada - and even then they came with only 3 holes, leading to the dual problem of finding 3-ring binders.

Do these guys ship to Europe? (maybe if I order before Brexit?)
I can't think why not.
Drop them an email here: http://www.donsidepockets.co.uk/cgi-bin/mf000001.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM
Mine arrived the very next day.
They give you an invoice to fill out once you've placed your order. I printed it out, filled it in and attached it to an email back to them. They processed it withing 2 hours!
I'm glad I bought so many. Should last me a while.
Now to find some 3 D ring binders (I can only find 2 or 4 in the UK online). I might actually head out into the town I live in and go to some real shops to see if I can see any.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Burned a load of ASL files onto disk so that I can take them to the printers. The files consisted of the Lone Canuck ASL For Fun maps and scenarios, the Operation Turnscrew stuff from DftB & Scotts Kunlun CG and map. About 62 MB of files. Should imagine that to print the whole lot would cost 100's of £££.