Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Must be a maths-related thing. I too am easily bothered by these differently backed counters - I never know how to store them.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night, I began my quest to organize my ASL counters.

Step 1 - Decided to go with the coin envelope storage system for Vehicles / Guns. Printed out the labels for Germans, Russians, and US to start out, and got through about 99 envelopes last night.

I recommend Raaco if you can get it cheap.
Step 2 - I picked up 8 Darci 32 section bead storage trays locally for around $30, so I think I'm going to try that first. From what I understand, Raaco is relatively expensive. Not sure what to get, or where to get it either. ;>

Alan

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Spent time today getting all my recent German counters that have arrived over the last 8 months put into the RAACO trays, am about 2/3's the way through.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I recommend Raaco if you can get it cheap.
I have plenty of RAACO boxes, but the problem becomes how to store the various information markers.

With many of them having X on one side, and Y, Z or T on the other side, how should I store them? I'd like to have the X markers in their own compartment, but then this mixes the Y, Z and T together. If I separate the Y, Z and T into three different compartments, then when the game is finished, I can't store all X together.

And then come markers with Y one one side, and X, X' or X'' on the other side, and the problem becomes much much worse. Hate it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have plenty of RAACO boxes, but the problem becomes how to store the various information markers.

With many of them having X on one side, and Y, Z or T on the other side, how should I store them? I'd like to have the X markers in their own compartment, but then this mixes the Y, Z and T together. If I separate the Y, Z and T into three different compartments, then when the game is finished, I can't store all X together.

And then come markers with Y one one side, and X, X' or X'' on the other side, and the problem becomes much much worse. Hate it.
Razor blade. Split counter. Problem solved.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Last night, I began my quest to organize my ASL counters.

Step 1 - Decided to go with the coin envelope storage system for Vehicles / Guns. Printed out the labels for Germans, Russians, and US to start out, and got through about 99 envelopes last night.

Step 2 - I picked up 8 Darci 32 section bead storage trays locally for around $30, so I think I'm going to try that first. From what I understand, Raaco is relatively expensive. Not sure what to get, or where to get it either. ;>

Alan
Well, if you are interested in RAACO, I happened to compile the one stop shop information just a couple of weeks ago:

Everything you need to know on RAACO:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/the-ultimate-raaco-storage.16/

More than 1000 labels to fit RAACO inserts to organize a complete MMP set of core modules and somewhat more. As it is an Excel file, it can be edited or expanded:
http://www.texas-asl.com/download/ASL Counter Labels for RAACO A75 and A78 inserts.xls

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia

I store counters that have the same "front" together, and let the backs work themselves out, e.g., counters with "Prep Fire" on the front go in the "Prep Fire" bin regardless of what's on the back. Except when I don't. There's a few different counter types that have "DM" on the back and nothing at all useful on the front (the ASLSK counters are prone to this, but it also includes the black/red chits from BV) so they all go in the "DM" bin.

It's an art, not a science.

My friend Neil Andrews takes an extreme approach: any counter that doesn't fit the established "pattern" (and is not otherwise unique) gets one side of the counter blacked out with permanent marker. So the weird ASLSK markers tend to become counters with only one side, for instance. That's a step further than I'm willing to go, but I understand the sentiment.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Buy one large garbage bag. All counters in. Problem solved. And after a long game you'll appreciate the cleanup.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I store counters that have the same "front" together, and let the backs work themselves out, e.g., counters with "Prep Fire" on the front go in the "Prep Fire" bin regardless of what's on the back. Except when I don't. There's a few different counter types that have "DM" on the back and nothing at all useful on the front (the ASLSK counters are prone to this, but it also includes the black/red chits from BV) so they all go in the "DM" bin.

Except when I don't. That gave me a good laugh! :D
I handle it the same way, though.

Fully agree - it's an art, not a science.

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For me, I put each type into their own slot in the RAACO trays, you all know I have more than enough of the stuff to do it that way.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Vinnie here on the forum, was talking about bringing some RAACO over For ASLOK in October, if you were interested maybe contact him?

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I bought some coin envelopes and small labels the other day and started sorting my British vehicles in accordance with the vehicle note method. I have seen a few sets done like this and thought I would have a go.

After doing six envelopes I gave up - not enough return on time spent, I'll just do a bit of a tidy up in my plastic storage containers (a mix of Plano and Fisher) and get on with the game.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Posted pics of the contents of the latest CH releases on the FB ASL sites.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

My friend Neil Andrews takes an extreme approach: any counter that doesn't fit the established "pattern" (and is not otherwise unique) gets one side of the counter blacked out with permanent marker. So the weird ASLSK markers tend to become counters with only one side, for instance. That's a step further than I'm willing to go, but I understand the sentiment.
Kill the infidel for defiling ASL counters !!!

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started to update my own personal e-ASLRB it's not a hyper-linked one yet, I'll do that after I'm done with Chapter H