Television: What shows are you currently watching?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. I always heard good things about it but because I never had a chance to watch it from the start, so I staved off watching it until it finished. But I've never heard it being dismissed by fans of the genre to be honest. I've always heard good things about it.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Borgia. Season 2. From Showtime.

Compelling story line. And I know they're evil, but I want them to be successful....which was different than Tudors. By the time that was over, I really did NOT like Henry the 8th.

Mark DV
Ada, MI

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Started both Star Trek the original series Season 1 as well as just finished (moments ago) episode 1 of Stargate SG-1. Both were a LOT of fun! Only reason why I never went after SG-1 is that it was so far in that I wasn't sure if I should bother picking it up thinking it may have a long continuous story type of thing. I already liked episode 1 a helluva lot more than the movie which was totally 'meh' to me. Also I have enjoyed the first 6 episodes of Star Trek. It is really cool to watch these characters I've heard so much about throughout my life (as a son of a Trekkie [mom] and a sci-fi fan) doing the things that have made them legends. Like Sulu chasing everyone around with a saber, seeing the Vulcan neck pinch for the first time and Kirk remarking that Spock should teach him sometime, and more. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it. I tried The Next Generation a while back but stopped because it was just... so cheesy from the get go. The original series is sooo much different. I'm personally looking forward to picking that back up and working my way through Voyager and Deep Space 9. I grew up on Voyager so I'm looking forward to rewatching that rather excitedly.
Thing to know about The Next Generation is that it was rather poor for the first two seasons. Then series 3 - 6 were truly excellent. 7 was so-so, most of the good writers having been put on DS9 by then.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I just caught the first 2 episodes of "Endeavor", basically baby "Inspector Morse". Each episode is long at about 1.5 hrs but well worth it.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thing to know about The Next Generation is that it was rather poor for the first two seasons. Then series 3 - 6 were truly excellent. 7 was so-so, most of the good writers having been put on DS9 by then.
Thank you for the heads up! And I look forward to working my way up to DS9. By the way, is there any overlap between the two shows?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for the heads up! And I look forward to working my way up to DS9. By the way, is there any overlap between the two shows?
There was a temporal overlap. At least one season of TNG was being made while DS9 had started. It might have been two. Patrick Stewart appears in the opening episode of DS9 and the doctor from DS9 guested in TNG. They didn't over do it although one main cast member of TNG did jojn the crew of DS9.

Seriously with TNG there are four must not miss season 2 episodes. "Measure of a Man," and "Q Who." The latter isn't brilliant but depicts first contact with the uber enemy which will set you up. "Elementary My Dear Data" is probably also OK and "The Emissary" sets up the Worf family story. Otherwise you can do without them.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is some overlap between TNG and DS9 (and DS9 and Voyager as well), but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to watch all the multi-show episodes in strict "order"...and one would also have to work in the feature films to do that. Think of them as books in, say, a trilogy...books that tell different stories that happen to overlap in a few places but works well enough as a whole without the reader needing to skip around.

Yes, Season 2 of TNG had a lot of problems (writers' strike, chaos on the set, etc.) but it had several episodes that shouldn't be missed, and is still better than most TV shows as a whole. Don't even think about avoiding it :)

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've recently discovered Star Trek Enterprise on DVD - I'm part way through Season 1 and its better than I had been led to believe. Its sort of interesting seeing the familiar tropes being developed; the Prime Directive, transporter technology, holodeck technology (only aliens have it at the moment). I hope it holds up, but form what I read - it won't.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've recently discovered Star Trek Enterprise on DVD - I'm part way through Season 1 and its better than I had been led to believe. Its sort of interesting seeing the familiar tropes being developed; the Prime Directive, transporter technology, holodeck technology (only aliens have it at the moment). I hope it holds up, but form what I read - it won't.
There are one or two great episodes in there, the cast and production values were fine, however lots of opportunities were lost. They could have shown first contact with any number of races but instead the first episode just started with a Klingon running about an American farm. Things bottomed out in the third season where they tried to follow a weak story arc following an attack on Earth blatantly allegorical of the 11/9 attacks. The 4th and last season may have been it's best. It would be full circle if it became a hit on syndication, but frankly Stargate was superior.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The first two seasons of Next Generation were nothing more than a reboot disguised as a sequel. They quite literally ripped off every single episode of the original Star Trek.

But after that it got good.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody else watching Daredevil on Netflix at the moment? It is so good - it might be the best thing the Marvel creative team has put out yet - and that's saying a mouthful.

Superhero action for adults - and very true to the source material so far, while being fresh.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Classic Star Trek. This is one for fans who know their onions...[video=youtube;zUg8-Tz69_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUg8-Tz69_I[/video]

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anybody else watching Daredevil on Netflix at the moment? It is so good - it might be the best thing the Marvel creative team has put out yet - and that's saying a mouthful.

Superhero action for adults - and very true to the source material so far, while being fresh.

I own very few actual comics, but I do have all the "Miller Daredevils." The film was a travesty. The comic is so good it needs a decent treatment.

I never thought "TV" could do it. I've heard a lot of good reviews. I'll wait for all these to be released and nab 'em off bit torrent and see.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seasons one and two meander a bit, but seasons 3 and 4 are some of the best Trek made. BUT DO NOT WATCH THE SERIES FINALE.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am watching Fear the Walking Dead and just finished up The Last Ship. Tried to get into The Strain, but it could not hold my interest.

FYI, I restarted my reviews of The Walking Dead shows with a preparedness slant with the FTWD debut. You can find them here.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Can't wait for the new season of Gotham to start.

Just finished binge watching the last season of Justified.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished binge watching the last season of Justified.
Brilliant show. It was like the writers were possessed by the spirit of Elmore Leonard.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Just watched full five series of Boardwalk Empire. Proper good TV.

Before that, Peaky Blinders. Again, great storytelling and acting.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been catching up on old series, I've been watching "Rescue Me" on Netflix. Netflix is great for binge watching, the next episode starts automatically after the end of the current one.