Special Operations #8

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
How many pages is the RB CG article? And what is the locations of the two ASL scenarios? pjn
RB article is 8 pages, mostly text, though some illustrations and one most-of-a-page "tips" inset

O15 Highland Frank, British (18 squads, 2 carriers, 3 tanks) vs German (8.5 squads, 2 Guns), Sicily July 43, 6 turns, Adam Lunney design , boards 13&60
O16 Forced Crossing Russian (14.5 squads, 1 Gun) vs German (8 squads and a Kfz 1), Titovka River, Russia October 1944, Brian Youse design, boards 7&38

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info. I'm still sitting on the fence about buying it. I have played RB CG III, so I would find the article interesting even though I was the Germans. I was hoping that the scenarios were RB, Korea or Hatten.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I thought that the RB CG article was very good, even though I don't play CGs. O15 looks okay. O16 is too game-y. The bulk of the Russians have to cross a bridge, which will blow up at some point based on a dr. Who wants to lose based on a single dr?

The two SK scenarios look interesting, and look like they would be good even if played using "real" ASL rules. One does have this weird SSR that destroyed T34s come back as reinforcements the next turn - kinda like Zombie Tanks From Beyond The Grave. And there is no limit as to the number of times this can happen, so you just keep throwing them into the fray and watch the burning wrecks pile up. As Stalin said, "Quantity has a quality all its own."

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought that the RB CG article was very good, even though I don't play CGs. O15 looks okay. O16 is too game-y. The bulk of the Russians have to cross a bridge, which will blow up at some point based on a dr. Who wants to lose based on a single dr?
The Russians can get enough troops across to before the bridge blows to get the job done.

And they better. ;)

The two SK scenarios look interesting, and look like they would be good even if played using "real" ASL rules. One does have this weird SSR that destroyed T34s come back as reinforcements the next turn - kinda like Zombie Tanks From Beyond The Grave. And there is no limit as to the number of times this can happen, so you just keep throwing them into the fray and watch the burning wrecks pile up. As Stalin said, "Quantity has a quality all its own."
Not enough T-34/85s in the SK counter mix. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russians can get enough troops across to before the bridge blows to get the job done.

And they better. ;)

Not enough T-34/85s in the SK counter mix. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Great SSR.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I actually quite enjoy ..
  • "Thinking behind various game series" - Dean Essig
  • "A BCS Primer" - Doug Fitch
Even though I only know ASL.

Gave a local grog the 4 errata counters for Operation Mercury and chatted a little.

What a great magazine!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Got mine while in Cary at the Gamers Armory. I do not play OCS but the articles on RB, the ASL and SL scenarios, TCS and BCS made the magazine a winner in my book. Our group of non-ASL gamers has spent a lot of time playing scenarios from the latter two series.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty happy with my buy, but not sure the scenarios will stand the test of time. My minor beef would be with having a bunch of blank white counters inside. Seems MMP could have gotten out more counter fixes or just re-printed other counter fixes again for those who might have missed them before. Heck even 5 rows of StuG's with "Spencer" written on them would have been appreciated. FWIW, it is a blast blowing them up in VASL! For some reason, they just don't seem so scary to me anymore.

The size is different in this case, and feel free to correct me, but they still have not put out fixes for counters in AV: D and AV: C. Looking forward to issue #9.