So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 12 Confusion Reigns (ROAR has Americans 108 to Germans 79). The Germans have limited mobility in this one. Can move squads equal to the turn number plus a squad for every GO Leader and anyone stacked with a Leader (No stacking at setup). I decided that my best defense would be to kindle the woods in 24V5 and 24W5 then fallback to the stone buildings in 24S5 and 24V3. Plan worked great as there was an impassable wall of fire from 24W3 to 24W6 to 24U7 in front of building 24V3. This limited the Americans avenues of approach and they were never able to close with the Germans. Americans conceded on turn 6. Sometimes my evil plans work.
Congratulations! Kindling is NA so often in newer scenarios that I don't even consider it when playing older ones.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cpl Uhl and I continued the bloodbath that was Stalingrad by playing RB2 Blood & Guts. Unless I missed something this was not updated in Red Factories.

The Germans having a 10-3 leader is what hit me first about this scenario. Then I noticed that the Russians, who I was playing, got a 10-2. So OK - not so bad.

I had some time, read the various AAR's and came up with a defense that annoyed Cpl Uhl. I also asked for the balance as the AAR's had stated it was hard for the Russians. Cpl Uhl kindly agreed.

I pushed him back with dummies and one real unit in the shellholes of H20 to annoy him.

The bit he found most annoying were the tunnels that allowed lateral movement across the board. Down one tunnel, up, then down again. They were in the factory S20 then P21, then M22, then J22. These allowed me to move from the VC Factory to the VC building. At start they were stacked with squads ready to move.

HMG, 50 cal plus 10-2 in P21. That killed a lot of Germans. Including the 10-3. Snake eyes on a stack containing the 10-3 carrying a flamethrower. An 8-3-8 and 5-4-8 died at the same time as well - random selection killed them both. At that point I heard the "thunk" as Cpl Uhl's personal morale hit the floor.

I know how he felt - I lost a 10-2 in R01 Blood on the Tracks to a MC (boxcars then a six on the wound severity). So he did not get much sympathy :). Well played Cpl Uhl for continuing.

The reason that group killed a lot of Germans was he had chosen to take the building as his VC. Getting across the road without smoke was proving tough. Not much made it. 6 FP mines in K21 helped.

The 76L was in level one fortified location J21 which was where all the AAR's said to put it. They were right - it killed the three Stugs.

It was one of the most intense games I have played. I think what did it was that the firepower is such that the dice either let you live or kill you in an instant. My dice had some low rolls which killed Cpl Uhl's Germans and it felt on Turn 3 that he had lost too much.

By Russian Turn 5 I had taken back the building and all that Cpl Uhl had left on that side unbroken was two 4-6-7's. He had lost almost all of the seven 8-3-8's and the twelve 5-4-8's that he had started with on that side. He conceded.

The Russians had lost in total 9.5 squads.

A great scenario. Highly recommended. I'm not sure Cpl Uhl enjoyed it.....................

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
STL3 It Isn't Over is a very fun scenario

We had a short window for some ftf action between storms and this was a great choice. Played on two half boards (37 & 62) and five turns, the IJA don't have much time to enter and cross the boards to capture five of the seven huts. Stout OB's, IJA have nineteen MMC's with six squads reinforcements with variable turn/entry options. The Gurkhas have thirteen MMC to stop the IJA

Do to the constraints of time, I setup the defending Gurkhas. The plan was for the Gurkhas to setup upfront to stuff the entry and slowly fallback to avoid, as long as possible, the banzai

Sven took the turn 3 reinforcements and had enough troops in the VC area to start the waves of banzai charges. The Gurkhas got enough troops back into the VC hut area to hold off repeated IJA banzai attacks for the Gurkha win

Casualties we high for both sides but superior Gurkha firepower devastated the repeated IJA banzai attempts and HtH CC always makes for a high body count. We had a blast playing this fast paced scenario. We both thought that it was balanced, fun for both sides, with good replay ability

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cpl Uhl and I continued the bloodbath that was Stalingrad by playing RB2 Blood & Guts. Unless I missed something this was not updated in Red Factories.

The Germans having a 10-3 leader is what hit me first about this scenario. Then I noticed that the Russians, who I was playing, got a 10-2. So OK - not so bad.

I had some time, read the various AAR's and came up with a defense that annoyed Cpl Uhl. I also asked for the balance as the AAR's had stated it was hard for the Russians. Cpl Uhl kindly agreed.

I pushed him back with dummies and one real unit in the shellholes of H20 to annoy him.

The bit he found most annoying were the tunnels that allowed lateral movement across the board. Down one tunnel, up, then down again. They were in the factory S20 then P21, then M22, then J22. These allowed me to move from the VC Factory to the VC building. At start they were stacked with squads ready to move.

HMG, 50 cal plus 10-2 in P21. That killed a lot of Germans. Including the 10-3. Snake eyes on a stack containing the 10-3 carrying a flamethrower. An 8-3-8 and 5-4-8 died at the same time as well - random selection killed them both. At that point I heard the "thunk" as Cpl Uhl's personal morale hit the floor.

I know how he felt - I lost a 10-2 in R01 Blood on the Tracks to a MC (boxcars then a six on the wound severity). So he did not get much sympathy :). Well played Cpl Uhl for continuing.

The reason that group killed a lot of Germans was he had chosen to take the building as his VC. Getting across the road without smoke was proving tough. Not much made it. 6 FP mines in K21 helped.

The 76L was in level one fortified location J21 which was where all the AAR's said to put it. They were right - it killed the three Stugs.

It was one of the most intense games I have played. I think what did it was that the firepower is such that the dice either let you live or kill you in an instant. My dice had some low rolls which killed Cpl Uhl's Germans and it felt on Turn 3 that he had lost too much.

By Russian Turn 5 I had taken back the building and all that Cpl Uhl had left on that side unbroken was two 4-6-7's. He had lost almost all of the seven 8-3-8's and the twelve 5-4-8's that he had started with on that side. He conceded.

The Russians had lost in total 9.5 squads.

A great scenario. Highly recommended. I'm not sure Cpl Uhl enjoyed it.....................
Of course I enjoyed it! I think this may be my favorite ASL scenario in fact. And the tunnels (well played) didn't annoy me; that their use completely thwarted me annoyed me!! No, well played by the Russians, would play it again in a heartbeat.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
would play it again in a heartbeat
You want to flip it round and play it again as the Russians Cpl Uhl - I'm there.

Although I was looking forward to RB12 the 138 of the 138th :)

All the best players are annoying. They move their troops and you think "why did he have to go there?". It is my ASL goal to be annoying - maybe one day :)

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also just started RO6 The Playing Field as the Germans. Stalingrad on a smaller scale with all the drama and fun.

Next, I will head west again.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished RO6 The Playing Field. This was for round two of the Nor'easter tournament. My Germans held off the Russians when their OBA failed to come down. Real tough on the Reds without the OBA.

I also played DB156 To The Neman. My Germans held off the attacking Russians in a close game. This is a fun tourney sized scenario.

Rob

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished RO6 The Playing Field. This was for round two of the Nor'easter tournament. My Germans held off the Russians when their OBA failed to come down. Real tough on the Reds without the OBA.

I also played DB156 To The Neman. My Germans held off the attacking Russians in a close game. This is a fun tourney sized scenario.

Rob
and... numerous 4 down 2 shots that he seemed to only roll a 1,3. I'd wanted to play Rob for quite some time and he basically stopped me cold. It was brutal. I threw in the towel before my T2 would end with 3 squads KIA and 5 broken on top of wire. Tough nut to crack with no OBA. Nothing seemed to work for me.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LSSAH 41 Objective: Mouen Continuing to support Archives Scenario of the Month initiative Tom and I faced off in this Lone Canuck offering. At first glance, it is a pretty blase scenario without anything unique to offer either player, and that's exactly what it is, and why I really wasn't excited to play it. It turned out to be fun, My Brits set up to interdict the German's initial push trying to get as much FFNAM/FFMO as I could. Tom had one platoon attack the board 4 farm house and the other on a wide flanking movement. His armor had complete freedom of movement and tried to interdict my fighting withdrawal back into the town, where the German has to get 29 VC locations on the board 71 village (that's a lot). His dice were hot early mine weren't and he drove my brits bleeding a 1/2 squad here and 1/2 squad there back.

Two events occured to keep this from being a German route early on. 1) my variable reinforcements came on at the first opportunity and 2) My dice go hot for a minute at the right time and Tom's cooled off. The middle turns ended with the Brits in good shape, two burning pnzrIV,

In the end, I got to aggressive, and though I had great all the odds I cold get in my favor, my counter attack failed and I had to little left to stave off the rebounding Germans.

I may or may not play this scenario again. It really doesn't have much uniqueness to offer it so probably not. I do think both side can have a pretty tough time but, its imperative the Brits get their reinforcements at the first maybe the second opportunity. Even this won't help them if the German defends the entry areas and though he doesn't have much, he certainly can defend those entry areas and make it very hard for the Brits.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J19 Merzenhausen Zoo: We're at the start of Turn 5; see attached pic. The Americans approached cautiously to avoid fire from the 75LL and 88LL tank destroyers. With clouds of smoke and sheets of flame, they gradually overran the central compound. A spunky M5A1 played the hero when it popped out of that compound to blitz the Nashorn. The German 50L fired and missed, the Nashorn fired and missed, then the M5A1 crashed into the woods with the Nashorn, made its bog check, came out the other end and fired to kill the beast! But wait there's more. A 5-4-8 advanced into close combat with that M5A1 and rolled boxcars to cut itself in half and then die when the M5A1 rolled 4 on its 1-2 CC attack. Still more, same said M5A1 then rushed the JgdPzIV, and got into its hex before a nearby STUG III killed it. Even then, the M5A1 billowed smoke that nearly blinded the JgdPzIV enabling the Amis and their Churchills to roll on. The Germans did land some body blows though. The 9-1 directed the HMG to kill an American LT and his squad when they entered a bore sighted hex. On the edge of the huge board 43 brush field, a panzershreck knocked out an Easy 8 (Sherman) and a STUG III clocked the other M5A1. Lots of breaks on both sides along the way, and a CE Sherman Jumbo was stunned by an HE hit from a STUG!

Attachments

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
and... numerous 4 down 2 shots that he seemed to only roll a 1,3. I'd wanted to play Rob for quite some time and he basically stopped me cold. It was brutal. I threw in the towel before my T2 would end with 3 squads KIA and 5 broken on top of wire. Tough nut to crack with no OBA. Nothing seemed to work for me.
RO 6 really depends a lot on the OBA.

Did the Germans use tunnels craftily?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 208 The Grist Mill went about as expected. The North Koreans attacked over the left-side paddy fields and hill. The US dished out some damage the first few turns with good dice on both sides. Then on T4 the US Prep Fire was nul and the return D-Fire broken the 9-1, HS/50 cal in the mill and the T5 North Korean rush took the mill. A 3 MMC US counter-attack in the bottom of the 5th pinned/broke next to the mill. .50 cal never got rate the whole game. 😢

When I played it as the Koreans the first time, it went almost exactly the same way.

A bit scripted and dicey, but still a fun scenario and good entry to KWASL. Americans really have to think clearly about rout paths from the get-go. Hex-row Q is your friend.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Of course I enjoyed it! I think this may be my favorite ASL scenario in fact. And the tunnels (well played) didn't annoy me; that their use completely thwarted me annoyed me!! No, well played by the Russians, would play it again in a heartbeat.
Great scenario!!🤗🤗