So, how was your 2005 ASL gaming year?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As 2005 winds to a close, the question arises: how was 2005 for you, ASL-wise? Did you win tournaments? Get a lot of good games in? Find a long-sought ASL product? Find a new gaming group or a cool opponent? Get involved in a new project? Were there any unexpected pleasures for you in 2005, or disappointments (or expected disappointments, as in the non-appearance of AOO)?

Overall, I think 2005 was a good ASL year for me:

1) Playing. Overall, I played fewer scenarios in 2005 than I did in 2004. However, it was still a pretty respectable number--somewhere in the 60-70 range. A fair amount of that was playtesting (see below). Played a lot of good scenarios, including new fun scenarios from the East Side Gamers, George Kelln, Paul Kenny, and Schwerpunkt, among others.

2) Tournaments. Went to my usual three tournaments: Winter Offensive, World Boardgaming Championships, and ASLOK. At Winter Offensive, I won a mini (my second at WO). At WBC, I came in third. At ASLOK, I didn't win anything, but that was mostly because I was mostly playtesting (see below). I had a very fun time at all three. Now that I have been playing ASL and going to ASL events for 5 years now, plus being active on-line, a great part of going to ASL tournaments is not winning, or even playing, but just the chance to meet and re-meet people I know and like. I probably ended up annoying more than one opponent this past ASLOK just by chatting with people who came by my table to say "hi".

3) Other ASL events. There were a lot of these for me in 2005 and they were very fun. In February, I went to Rod Callen's multi-day ASL bash in Northern Kentucky. In January and May, I went to Officefest in Detroit, hosted by the famous P.J. Norton (alas, this is no more). At Origins, I played lots of fun pickup games of ASL and ASLSK. Several times, I journeyed to Medina, Ohio, for ASL days at the home of the inestimable Mike Faulkner. Other times I journeyed to Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky for the "third Saturday" meetings of our little Ohio/Kentucky ASL group. And, I am pleased to say, now that I own a house, three times in 2005 I was able to host an ASL day myself, which brought together people from northern, central, and southern Ohio, as well as northern Kentucky.

4) ASL Loot. This was a good year for ASL! Although Armies of Oblivion did not come out, alas, at least it became imminent in 2005. Aside from that, I got ASLSK2 and the latest Journal from MMP; the ASLSK2 was as good as the first, and the Journal had some good scenarios in it, as well as a mini-module! My friends at Heat of Battle put out another Firefights scenario pack, although it sounds like 2006 will be an even better year for them. Schwerpunkt had another good issue (although they promise 2 issues in 2006!). George Kelln and Paul Kenny both put out some cool stuff for me to nab. Critical Hit had some neat historical stuff, although we didn't get a chance to see their big Berlin module in 2005 (it is supposedly imminent), and a third Hero Pax, which is very nice. Dispatches from the Bunker had some great scenarios this past year. And there were some cool unexpected surprises, especially the ASLOK XX Anniversary Pack, the East Side Gamers Dezign Pak 1 and the Friendly Fire pack from Scandinavia. Plus, there was ASL stuff that I did not buy, but which I was very happy came out in 2005: the ASLRB and Beyond Valor. They help insure that I will get fun new opponents in the future!

5) ASL Projects. This was a good year for me in this regard, although not always in the ways I had expected. My ASL Journal article did not come out, being bumped for space (it is a long article), so I await it in the next Journal. I made no progress with my scenario designer's guide, stalled at 98% completed, but I just recently learned of an exciting option for making it available, so I expect completion of it in 2006. The Warsaw Uprising historical study also got stalled, largely because another project, the Few Returned scenario pack, took on an unexpected priority (see below). I also submitted a couple of independent scenarios, which hopefully will see print in 2006. I need to do more of that in 2006--I have a bunch of partially designed stand-along scenarios! And lastly, I made some modest additions to the Desperation Morale website, mostly to the ASL Museum, and started a new project for the site, which will debut in sections beginning in 2006.

6) Few Returned. In many ways, my ASL year has been dominated by Few Returned, a scenario pack featuring Italians vs. Russians during the Italian breakout from Russian encirclement in Operation Little Saturn and its follow-ups in December 1942 and January 1943. I had been planning this scenario pack from some time in late 2004, when I read a pair of memoirs by Italian soldiers, which opened my eyes to the possibilities in this situation. In 2005, I decided to go ahead and design the scenarios, before I lost interest in doing that project. My thoughts were that this would be a low-key "secondary" ASL project that I would do over a relatively long period of time as I found time to get playtesting done. However, the project soon took on a greatly increased importance! The response by playtesters, both in terms of numbers of people willing to help playtest the scenarios (and the quality of their playtests!) as well as their positive reactions to the scenarios, created a momentum that I had not at all expected. Soon I discovered that the project was advancing much faster than I had figured it would, and there was even a "buzz" about the project. This was increased greatly when MMP and I arrived at an agreement in August that MMP would publish "Few Returned" as an official scenario pack that would include the long-lost boards 42 and 43! I could not ask for anything better than that. As it stands now, "Few Returned" is definitely on track for 2006 publication--sooner rather than later if all my great playtester friends continue to submit playtest reports! (you know who you are, and how grateful I am!)

I hope I didn't miss anything. The bottom line is that I met a lot of cool folks, renewed my acquaintance with cool folks I already new, played a lot of fun scenarios, got a lot of great ASL stuff, and am just as addicted to ASL as ever! Okay, 2006, bring it on, baby!

Caise

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 2005 gaming year has been a bit thin.

I have to say that playing Euros with my wife and children have been my only actual gaming.

On the other hand, the generousity of the gaming community has been overwhelming.

I lost my home and most of my belongings to Hurricance Ivan in Sept 2004. Many in the community reached out and helped me to replace some of what I lost. Thankfully, much of my game collection was one floor up and was salvageable. But to name a few acts of random kindness:

Fred Timm: Sold me a DB at a reasonble cost.

Brian Youse: Found some of the Chapter H and errata pages at MMP and provided them free of charge.

Ray Tapio: Allowed me to order CH items at a deep discount to replace lost items.

Everyone on the forums: Provided hours of ASL related fun even if only vicariously!

Have a great 2006! I hope to get back in the saddle this year and actually play.

Any ASLers in Ft Walton Beach Florida or there abouts?

Caise

You know your in trouble when your only potential FtF is Jim Cantore!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fabulous.

Any time I can go to Seattle (May) and Portland (August) to see all the guys again, it's a good year.

There's a great bunch of gamers on the east side of Washington and Oregon. It's wonderful news that they're going to have a 3rd tourney in February in Seattle. It breaks up the monotony of a long winter.

Hope to see some guys from California and Canada.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark forgot something...

Mark, your year has been almost as good as mine, which I will relate below. But not before I tell a "Mark Story". Mark failed to mention P.J.s "Winter Nightmare" Officefest in his "great year". At P.J.Norton's January '05 Officefest, Mark had a little adventure. He was driving up to SouthEastern Michigan, in frightful winter weather, over halfway there, when his car got wrecked on the highway in Toledo (not his fault). Does he go back home? Does he stay and nurse his smashed car? NO! He hauls his ASL stuff out of the trunk, gets a cab to take him to a car rental. and KEEPS ON COMING TOWARDS THE TOURNAMENT! He arrives, relates the story, and proceeds to play excellent ASL (he beat me at my own scenario) all weekend. Is that dedication, calm under fire or what! :smoke: Watson recording, Sherlock. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vyshka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is commitment. :salute:

How is the car these days?

2005 has been the year that I have gotten back into gaming, and started my quest for all things ASL which is something I always wanted when I was playing games in jr high and high school in the 80s. I have both ASLSKs, and I think all the core stuff except, CoB, BV, AOO, and Doomed Battalions. I have BV and AOO on preorder and will hopefully be getting them soon.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best year ever! Got to playtest some great David Lamb "Hero Pack" scenarios, and playtested "Few Returned". Both were enjoyable ASL experiences, and I felt I was helping to finalize great scenarios. I got to play scenarios from the Journal, Shwerpunkt, Critical Hit, and Heat of Battle. Each one I played was great fun...no dogs (was I just lucky, or is everyone getting better and better at it). Got to publish and sell my own scenarios for the first time ever (with a lot of help). And at ASLOK I tied my best record (3-5). I know that's not a winning record, but it means I'm improving. Plus I discovered this great website! Man, is life good or what! :love: :love:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2005 in Review

This was my best ASL year yet. I was able to complete 42 games with (finally) more wins than losses :cheeky: (!). I was again fortunate to make The ASL Open and CASLO tournaments (and plan to again in 2006) and played respectably against some very skilled opponents. I also started playing VASL more regularly getting in about a half dozen games against some guys from as far away as Italy and Sweden. I was also able to take in an ASL weekend at Jeff Papas' place in Northern Minnesota that featured The Dogs of War. Closer to home, the Twin Cities ASL group provided a ton of fun with our monthly meetings.

Of course, as it has been every year, I have met/seen more great ASL folks which has always been a key reason I stick with this goofy game. The guys from TCASL and greater Minnesota, Friends from The ASL Open, Jim McLeod and the rest of the CASLO Crew (eh?!) and fellow VASLites from around the world. Like most any hobby it is the people who make it what it is. ASL continues to have some of the greatest guys around.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

asler

Reaction score

Pretty good ASL year for me. Expanded my FtF players and ended up getting over 50 games in this year. Although I'll probably get a couple more in these next few days I ended up 20-9 in head to head non-playtest/campaign game scenarios. 35-15 overall with a playing of the Primosole Bridge CGI.

Made it to ASLOK but didn't manage a plaque, oh well.

Did a bunch of playtesting and got credit in Journal 6 :D

Made it to PJ's Officefest...btw Mark, PJ may not have ended it completely. There is talk of him restarting it again, but not sure when. He moved but is still in the same complex.

For 2006 I'm hoping to make it to ASLOK and Chicago and continuing to get in around 50 scenarios again.

Chris

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just up-dated my ROAR record this morning and was surprised to see that I've finished 19 games this year. That's more ASL than I've played in any other year for a long time--since becoming a parent, for sure.

thanks to Mark B., Houlie, thebigbad, Jason W., CPRad, Josh, Tom W. da Priest, Doc Ozzie, Jim B. and Dave W.!

thanks also to SZO/ACG for making me a part of a larger gaming community.

Sure, some of you knock off 19+ games/month, but that's a great total for me.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Alan,
Any time you wish to play, you have my email.

In 2005 I played between 50 and 60 games (I forgot to put some of the early ones into ROAR for some reason). I am 11-11 in my last 22 which is very encouraging as it seems to me I am starting to "get it." I have recently had two very encouraging results against some local Grognards which has been good for my ego (if I look past the extraodinarily good dice I had). I got to ASLOK and actually succeeded in winning one scenario (a true barker which I drew the preferred side in, Sorry Chas :( ). I played at Winter Offensive as well and had a blast.

I also managed to make contact with a lot of new people this year. I had somewhere in excess of 30+ opponents this year in either FTF or PBEM play. To all those who have been willing to give me a game I say thanks.

Might not seem like much to some but it scratched my itch. Hopefully I will play even more this upcoming year. Time will tell. -- jim

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Mark asked this on Consimworld and I answered there so i thought I'd port it over here too)

My ASL year was a very good one.

1. I rediscovered ASL and started playing again after about 8 years of not playing.

2. I found out how great ASL is as a gaming system. I never really got it when I owned it before because I never had the time (nor took the time) to really get it into it. Now I have the same feeliongs about this game that I used to have with SL so many years ago.

3. I reacquired the whole system after selling my stuff years ago. I was able to get all the AH/MMP published madules except Action Pack 1. I even scored on DB for $35! I have also acquired many of the CH products, some of the HoB ones and many FE packs.

4. Joined a great group for weekly Thursday night ASL games.

5. Play PBEM via VASL almost daily.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2005 review

In terms of games played this was an average year for me, 45 so far. Hopefully I will get a few more in before the new year rings in. So far I am 28-17 for the year. I missed the Winter War tourney in Champaigne Illinois due to back problems(Ugh!), but did hit three other tourneys: The Open in Chicago (went 4-3), the St. Louis tourney (3-2), and ASLOK (8-3 and won a SP mini). As for product, I agree with Mark P, this was a good year, even without AoO. The East Side Gamers Pak and the Friendly Fire Pack were pleasant surprises, very nice!

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blackcloud6 said:
(Mark asked this on Consimworld and I answered there so i thought I'd port it over here too)

My ASL year was a very good one.

4. Joined a great group for weekly Thursday night ASL games.
I hope your response to next year's thread is: "Became a hero, legend, and am now worshiped by everybody in Southeastern Michigan for beating Dave on a consistant basis. :laugh:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Became a hero, legend, and am now worshiped by everybody in Southeastern Michigan for beating Dave on a consistant basis.
I'm working on it!

Came close a few weeks ago, but alas, got "diced" in the last few moments! :laugh: :p

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MY ASL year...

I picked up 2 new opponents

Chris Garret in Vicksburg (the bum..)

Ben Richardson (moved from Atlanta GA to GR MICH)

Continued consistent play vs. Jeff DY, Larry Z, Tony Sella

Went 4-2 at ASL Open

Played a semi blind scenario with the guys from Vicksburg
A scenario from ASLOK 1990 that didn't allow you to see the other guys OB or VCs.

Played TIMOSHENKOS COUNTERATTACK as a six player game (I won it for the Soviets, my other two soviet players couldn't get their troops thru the hated fascist lines)

A great year

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2005 was a mix of good and bad for me and ASL.

The bad: I didn't get to play nearly as much as I had hoped. Decreased play also affected my play this year...lost far more games than I won. Very little face-to-face play this year due to my crazy schedule (wife finishing her Master's and then starting work on a second one, increased work-travel, house moving, etc.).

The good: I made it to my first ASLOK. Played in a couple of on-line tournaments (had to withdraw from them though due to my move). Met a ton of new players through the tournaments and at ASLOK. Gained my own ASL room in the new house. Earned a free Journal 7 from the SoCal ASL Club.

Overall, a good year. I always want to play more, even if my wife thinks I already play too much...just wait until I start up the weekly gaming night again. :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2005 was a good year for me ASL-wise. Started playing again after a 2 year layoff, got 24 scenarios in (maybe 25 before the end of the year). Got back to ASLOK and got beat by the people I beat 3 years ago.

My resolution for 2006 is to play more and roll low.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MarkDV said:
I picked up 2 new opponents

Ben Richardson (moved from Atlanta GA to GR MICH)

A great year
Is THAT what he told you ???? :halo: :rolleyes:

Ask him about his years in Prot Washington WI

Maybe he's in the witness protection program :OHNO:

Last edited: