rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Michael brought up a cool thread idea (disguised as getting us back on track in the ASLOK thread:)) so here we go.......

Share some cool stories........

Roger's first ASLOK........

My first ASLOK was in 2001. I had met Cliff Welsh via the internet that spring. The look on my wife’s face when I said, “I met this dude from Meadville (45 minutes south) and I am going to his place next Saturday to play wargames” was priceless. I told her don’t worry I will see the candy before I get in the van……. SMILE!

Anyway, thus really started my ASL playing. I had about 5-6 games under my belt when Cliff told be about this cool gathering in Cleveland. “Well poop (did not say poop) that sounds cool I will head into town for one night”. I headed into Cleveland on Wednesday. I was nervous and had no freaking clue what to expect.

I go into the game room, and Mark Nixon introduces himself to me. Wait, I think, is this the dude I have been reading articles by for years in the General?! Holy cow.

I was not in the game room for 10 minutes when Rich Jenulis (great guy) walked up and asked me if I was looking for a game. My ASL kit was still in my hotel room (hey I was a rookie). He helped me haul it down to the game room and after I explained I was new to the game, he helped me learn new stuff and was as friendly as friendly could be (a theme for ASLOK). I played a couple of games that day staying up way early into the morning. Again I was a rookie and did not realize no one was gonna mess with my stuff, so I hauled it all back to the hotel room (SIGH such a rookie).

The next morning, I call the wife asking if she cared if I stayed another night. I got the green light.

Highlight of Thursday was meeting Jim Serafin, “hey wait a freaking deadhead!”………. we had at a game and then he changed my life by telling me about VASL. WAIT! I can play ASL via the internet and PBEM?!........ VASL is the reason I met Burnie, who has become a great friend.

Another highlight of Thursday, Alex Keys shows up and sets his stuff up. What the heck is all this stuff? Third Party Publishing? What is this? HOLY FRICK! TAKE MY MONEY!

Friday morning, I call the wife (stomach still flip flopping with excitement)…….. “mom, can I stay until Sunday?”…….. luckily I over pack clothes (never know when you will be on the road longer than you think)……….. Given the green light I skip down to the gaming room once again. That night (early morning), Wild Bill talks me into starting a scenario at 1:00AM………. Ah! To be that young again………….

It was over in a flash...... met great guys, got my butt kicked at the table (won a couple) and had an amazing time.

All in all one of the best times of my life. Everyone was so cool, helped the newbie and made me feel welcome.

I look forward to the return.

Roger

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Michael brought up a cool thread idea (disguised as getting us back on track in the ASLOK thread:)) so here we go.......

Share some cool stories........

Roger's first ASLOK........

My first ASLOK was in 2001. I had met Cliff Welsh via the internet that spring. The look on my wife’s face when I said, “I met this dude from Meadville (45 minutes south) and I am going to his place next Saturday to play wargames” was priceless. I told her don’t worry I will see the candy before I get in the van……. SMILE!

Anyway, thus really started my ASL playing. I had about 5-6 games under my belt when Cliff told be about this cool gathering in Cleveland. “Well poop (did not say poop) that sounds cool I will head into town for one night”. I headed into Cleveland on Wednesday. I was nervous and had no freaking clue what to expect.

I go into the game room, and Mark Nixon introduces himself to me. Wait, I think, is this the dude I have been reading articles by for years in the General?! Holy cow.

I was not in the game room for 10 minutes when Rich Jenulis (great guy) walked up and asked me if I was looking for a game. My ASL kit was still in my hotel room (hey I was a rookie). He helped me haul it down to the game room and after I explained I was new to the game, he helped me learn new stuff and was as friendly as friendly could be (a theme for ASLOK). I played a couple of games that day staying up way early into the morning. Again I was a rookie and did not realize no one was gonna mess with my stuff, so I hauled it all back to the hotel room (SIGH such a rookie).

The next morning, I call the wife asking if she cared if I stayed another night. I got the green light.

Highlight of Thursday was meeting Jim Serafin, “hey wait a freaking deadhead!”………. we had at a game and then he changed my life by telling me about VASL. WAIT! I can play ASL via the internet and PBEM?!........ VASL is the reason I met Burnie, who has become a great friend.

Another highlight of Thursday, Alex Keys shows up and sets his stuff up. What the heck is all this stuff? Third Party Publishing? What is this? HOLY FRICK! TAKE MY MONEY!

Friday morning, I call the wife (stomach still flip flopping with excitement)…….. “mom, can I stay until Sunday?”…….. luckily I over pack clothes (never know when you will be on the road longer than you think)……….. Given the green light I skip down to the gaming room once again. That night (early morning), Wild Bill talks me into starting a scenario at 1:00AM………. Ah! To be that young again………….

It was over in a flash...... met great guys, got my butt kicked at the table (won a couple) and had an amazing time.

All in all one of the best times of my life. Everyone was so cool, helped the newbie and made me feel welcome.

I look forward to the return.

Roger
Lol I signed in to post here, but had an alert and it was you lamenting that nobody had responded to this thread. You just opened a big can of ASLOk sea stories!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm preoccupied with Civ 3, staging the final assault on the last French island and Paris but here is a start.

The first Oktoberfest, Friday evening. I'm playing, look out the window and see these dark, ominous clouds coming our way. Thunder and lightning soon followed. A rather impressive early October thunderstorm was soon upon us.

Back then I was too busy gunnin to give it much thought as an omen for the future of our venture. While it was rather foreboding at the time looking back I prefer to think of it as the Thunder and Dice gods giving our enterprise their blessing.

More later. The French are waiting, my cup is empty and Brigadier Bacardi is calling.

Great story of yours btw. 🤗🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Never been to ASLOK but I enjoy reading all the stories about it.
There are some really good ones. Hopefully you can make it someday and contribute your own story. I'd love to read it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It was '87 or '88 when this occurred.

I was working as a shipping clerk at that time and occasionally had to make deliveries in the company truck. I didn't have any vacation left so I had to work on Friday, the first day of Oktoberfest which started at 9:00 AM. I worked till 3:30 and would be lucky to make it there by 6:00 PM. We were requiring 9 or 10 scenarios played for the tournament so I would have to do some serious gunnin to compete.

That Friday I had to make a delivery to another factory about forty minutes from where I worked. The item, a mold for fiberglass protrusion, wasn't ready till early afternoon and I had to hustle to get there and back before quitting time.

All was on schedule until I neared the town the other factory was in. The place was jammed with cars and people! The traffic was horrendous! Then I noticed all the signs and banners for George Bush Sr., he was making a campaign stop there and I was in the middle of it!!

By the time t made the delivery and got back to the factory the second shift had started. I still had a thirty minute drive home and from there forty minutes to Oktoberfest. Needless to say I didn't make it there before 6:00 PM.

If it was '87 I was still competing in the tournament and did well, losing to Mark Nixon in the finals. In ' 88 the attendance was too large for Fish to handle by himself and I started to help with the TD duties more. Finding what year Bush campaigned in Medina will answer that question. Good luck with the research. The cup is full and the French need some attention.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never heard of that one! Was he incredibly drunk?
No, his girlfriend and her friend were. We were drinking at the bar and everything was going great but then he bought the girls some shots of ‘Aftershock’, it kinda tastes like ‘Goldschlager’. They turned blue and ran off to the girl’s bathroom with great commotion. So much commotion in fact that the hotel called the police but when the cops showed up the girls would not let them in the girl’s bathroom. They had to wait until some female cops arrived and checked things out and I guess they talked for a few minutes and everything was ok.. They had puked all over the bathroom and carried on with screaming and wailing, quite a show. The hotel had to spray it down with a garden hose, lol. The end.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was '87 or '88 when this occurred.

I was working as a shipping clerk at that time and occasionally had to make deliveries in the company truck. I didn't have any vacation left so I had to work on Friday, the first day of Oktoberfest which started at 9:00 AM. I worked till 3:30 and would be lucky to make it there by 6:00 PM. We were requiring 9 or 10 scenarios played for the tournament so I would have to do some serious gunnin to compete.
Are you sure about that 9 or 10 number?
I don’t recall the requirement ever being so high, especially not when we’re talking about 2.5 days.
(What’s the latest the finals have gone?)

Sure, Nikon could bang out 10 in two days, and it’s not like Pokey Perry was in the running in ‘87 or ‘88, but 9 or 10 seems suspect.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don’t recall the requirement ever being so high, especially not when we’re talking about 2.5 days.

Sure, Nikon could bang out 10 in two days, and it’s not like Pokey Perry was in the running in ‘87 or ‘88, but 9 or 10 seems suspect.
Yeah I am pretty sure that was what we were aiming for. That's what made Fish's mulligan idea so crazy.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Well there has been a lot of refreshments under the bridge since then so the memories are a bit blurry.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I believe that we figured it like this.

Oktoberfest started at 9AM on Friday till whatever time on Sunday. We thought three scenarios on Friday, four on Saturday and two on Sunday sounded doable. Perhaps not reasonable though, even with around the clock gaming available. We were basing that on our pace of playing. Which was maybe a little faster and more prolonged then the typical player. Nixon being the exception. What a beast when it came to pounding out games!!🥰🥰🥰🥰

I need to get into a attic soon and will pull out the ASL/Oktoberfest box and see if any definitive info is in there.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I believe that we figured it like this.

Oktoberfest started at 9AM on Friday till whatever time on Sunday. We thought three scenarios on Friday, four on Saturday and two on Sunday sounded doable. Perhaps not reasonable though, even with around the clock gaming available. We were basing that on our pace of playing. Which was maybe a little faster and more prolonged then the typical player. Nixon being the exception. What a beast when it came to pounding out games!!🥰🥰🥰🥰

I need to get into a attic soon and will pull out the ASL/Oktoberfest box and see if any definitive info is in there.
Fortunately I am not claustrophobic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Perry Fish would have been able to tell you that. While he had Columbus Day off I had to work and would usually leave on Sunday before the finals wrapped up. He may have mentioned how long a particular final went but I can't recall anything specific.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A video being made of a guest player, which has apparently never seen the light of day....
If it is the one that I am thinking of, the one where she beats every one? I have seen it a couple of times...very rare screenings...

Semper Fi!
Scott