New members introduce yourself here

l'amour

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi. I'm new. I'm in South Yorkshire, Uk.

Bought into ASL but now looking to buy out and stick with SK. Maybe. We'll see how it goes..

Cheers!

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Hi. I'm new. I'm in South Yorkshire, Uk.

Bought into ASL but now looking to buy out and stick with SK. Maybe. We'll see how it goes..

Cheers!

Bonjour, l'amour!

Both games are great in their own, unique way - and the forum's full with people ready to help you with ASL (SK) the best way they can.

Nola Toad

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi .. I'm another new guy .. or rather an older guy who is dusting off his rules binder.

Looking forward to relearning this beloved game.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Up round Manchester area. ... Wherebouts you?

Seriously??? I lived for four years in McMinville. Currently living in Scottsboro, AL, but am being transferred and promoted in two weeks to Joplin, MO.

I do know that there are some guys in the Nashville area that play. Check out the ASL Google Players Map.

Hinterwander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi guys,

I'm Phil from Berlin. I made my way to wargames last year. Starting with OCS I was weeks ago a bystander at two games of guys from a wargame group and appealed to it so much that I got myself "Beyond Valor" and a rule-book. Now I'm trying to get myself a path through the ASL-jungle and will get some basic-advises from the group in a pure infantry-scenario. Like to visit a tournament next year. :p

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi guys,

I'm Phil from Berlin. I made my way to wargames last year. Starting with OCS I was weeks ago a bystander at two games of guys from a wargame group and appealed to it so much that I got myself "Beyond Valor" and a rule-book. Now I'm trying to get myself a path through the ASL-jungle and will get some basic-advises from the group in a pure infantry-scenario. Like to visit a tournament next year. :p
Welcome to the fold, Phil!

Good news for you: If you want to visit a tournament, there's Grenadier for you - the German ASL tournament. Here's the thread on Grenadier 2014:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?117528-GRENADIER%B414-ASL-Tournament-Germany-13-11-2014-16-11-2014

Usually, there are a number of guys from Berlin attending - you might even be able to share a ride.

There is already a date standing for Grenadier 2015.

There are a number of German ASLers around in this forum. If you do not know it yet, try VASL (www.vasl.info) in combination with Skype. Current versions are VASSAL v3.2.15, VASL v6.2.

Quite a number of German ASLers active playing ASL via VASL:

- von Marwitz
- mb1811
- Flowbold
- M. Koch
- Daniel Takai (Swiss)
- Rudi Grossholdermann

and others.

If you get VASL installed I offer to play a game with you and teach you a bit. If you see me on the VASL server, just right click on my name and send me a private message

How's that for an opening?

von Marwitz

Hinterwander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How's that for an opening?
Hi von Marwitz,

thanks for your welcome-post! Well the guys from the club mentioned the GRENADIER tournament and it would be my first choice tournament but I'm not sure if I'm combat-ready till November. :p

You have exceeded your stored private messages quota

I got VASL running but I stil have VASL 6.1.1. so I got to fix it.
What do you recommend concerning the rules how much do I have to work one's way forward?

Best
Phil

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was not ready for anything when I first attended Grenadier - no matter. Nowhere else will you learn more or faster than at a tournament. And there are some people there playing friedly games outside the tournament. One guy from Berlin among those - Uwe Besch. So don't hesitate, take the dive. There was one guy last year for the first time to whom I told the same. He attended and said to me that it turned out to be exactly the right thing to do.

PM quota issue is fixed.

You should keep v6.1.1, too to be able to view older setups that some people might have ready.

Best way to learn is to play someone experienced. He can walk you through. You will learn the often used things first and the lesser used things later this way - and more importantly get a feeling what things happen often. Take notes during play to read up the rules on that in detail afterwards and note questions for the next session.

von Marwitz

Hi von Marwitz,

thanks for your welcome-post! Well the guys from the club mentioned the GRENADIER tournament and it would be my first choice tournament but I'm not sure if I'm combat-ready till November. :p

You have exceeded your stored private messages quota

I got VASL running but I stil have VASL 6.1.1. so I got to fix it.
What do you recommend concerning the rules how much do I have to work one's way forward?

Best
Phil

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi Phil
Welcome to ASL and the GS Forum...
I just can emphasize what von Marwitz wrote !
I you need informations regarding GRENADIER, just drop me a PM.

regards
Michael

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi guys,

Hi Phil and welcome! A lot of really good guys here do not be afraid to ask for any type of help most are more than willing to help .

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Phil and welcome! A lot of really good guys here do not be afraid to ask for any type of help most are more than willing to help .
PS. Oliver is also a good source of information as well..... Even though he works on the Continent and lives on that dreaded Isle......

sillywilly4

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Brand new player in San Antonio Area. Found the San Antonio Group and watched my first game last Saturday. I've got my rule book and SK#1 and 3. Played many lesser war-games with little plastic men, ready to dive into all that is ASL.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Brand new player in San Antonio Area. Found the San Antonio Group and watched my first game last Saturday. I've got my rule book and SK#1 and 3. Played many lesser war-games with little plastic men, ready to dive into all that is ASL.
Welcome and enjoy!

Sounds like you're in good hands.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome! The SA group will likely tell you about the Texas Team Tournament in Austin. It happens in June. Although you're just starting out, don't be hesitant to attend. In addition to full ASL, Rick the tourney director usually has an ASLSK mini, and he does a good job of ensuring you're matched against people of similar experience or those who are willing to teach (pretty much everybody is the latter). It's a great time and you'll learn a ton and get ramped up fast. Good luck!
http://www.texas-asl.com/ -> Tournament.

outasync

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All, my first post to introduce myself to the forum. I live just south of Cape Kennedy in sunny Melbourne Florida. Presently working thru Starter Kit #3 and hope to graduate to full blown ASL ASAP. I have reached out to a couple of ASL players listed on the ASL Google map and in the spirit of camaraderie the seems to permeate this game they have responded positively and I should have some local folks to play FtF soon. I took the advice of von Marwitz and got a hold of Pat Ireland and today I will be completing my second training session with him today. What a great guy with a wealth of information and a more cheery Irishman I have yet to meet. Well "roll low bro" and I look forward to many more scenarios! Jay

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello All, my first post to introduce myself to the forum. I live just south of Cape Kennedy in sunny Melbourne Florida. Presently working thru Starter Kit #3 and hope to graduate to full blown ASL ASAP. I have reached out to a couple of ASL players listed on the ASL Google map and in the spirit of camaraderie the seems to permeate this game they have responded positively and I should have some local folks to play FtF soon. I took the advice of von Marwitz and got a hold of Pat Ireland and today I will be completing my second training session with him today. What a great guy with a wealth of information and a more cheery Irishman I have yet to meet. Well "roll low bro" and I look forward to many more scenarios! Jay
Cheers go out to Pat Ireland! He is some dedicated fellow!
And cheers to you for apparently having a good start!

von Marwitz

sillywilly4

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Welcome! The SA group will likely tell you about the Texas Team Tournament in Austin. It happens in June. Although you're just starting out, don't be hesitant to attend. In addition to full ASL, Rick the tourney director usually has an ASLSK mini, and he does a good job of ensuring you're matched against people of similar experience or those who are willing to teach (pretty much everybody is the latter). It's a great time and you'll learn a ton and get ramped up fast. Good luck!
http://www.texas-asl.com/ -> Tournament.
Scot and crew has already hit me up about it. I'm going to do my best to make it, even if I end up driving.

Will there be vendor booths too? I'd like to get a couple more modules and some storage stuff and would love to skip the shipping.