New members introduce yourself here

Wstrieder

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all! This is Peyton from Towson, Maryland. I've lurked on Gamesquad for around a year, trying to learn about ASL as much as possible after searching for the best wargame to play. I have all three of the Starter Kits as well as the ASL rulebook, Beyond Valor, Paratroopers, and Streets of Fire. I had recieved those through an ebay bid, and so the products were missing the maps. Oh well, got all of that for around $180, so big deal. My friends and I have been playing SK for around 8 months on and off, so I have decided I need to graduate from SK to get all of the cool things Full ASL has, such as rubble, I am really excited about rubble.

Anyway other than this being my first post as a hello, I am looking for a tutor in the Baltimore County area in Maryland. I'm going to ask in the Opponents wanted section as well, but I wanted to bring it up here as well.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PM sent. Don't be intimidated. Us oldtimers can be gentle... believe me, you won't regret hooking up with some experienced players. You'll learn a lot... and with this game, you might even teach them something!

JT
And if Taylor talks you into coming over to his house to play I'll come and protect you from his cheating way!!!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am really excited about rubble.
You're a terrorist or what?:clown:
Anyway other than this being my first post as a hello, I am looking for a tutor in the Baltimore County area in Maryland. I'm going to ask in the Opponents wanted section as well, but I wanted to bring it up here as well.
I think there are a lot of nice guys in your area.
You are in the Mecca of ASL, as MMP is not far...
Welcome here !:)

Wstrieder

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are in the Mecca of ASL, as MMP is not far...
Welcome here !:)
Oh I know. Wish the game was more popular in my area. Not a single Friendly Local Gamestore (FLG) has it in stock! I was stunned, mainly because I think this is the cutting edge of tactical warfare, but no, Warmachine and Games Workshop has the youths under their control!

I am not a terrorist :p I just love how the game has a mechanic for rubble creation!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am not a terrorist :p I just love how the game has a mechanic for rubble creation!
... until you experiment what I did : a Russian squad places a DC upstairs, and the whole building comes down, crushing my Commies at the same time as the Nazis upstairs...:cry:
Well, one could consider that a footstep towards democracy.:clown:

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could probably use a tutor myself, but I am located fairly close to you. I would be glad to play some full ASL with you.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
... until you experiment what I did : a Russian squad places a DC upstairs, and the whole building comes down, crushing my Commies at the same time as the Nazis upstairs...:cry:
Well, one could consider that a footstep towards democracy.:clown:
The only case of Soviets literally overwhelmed by Nazis :D

SBeaudway

Recruit
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi. I have recently begun learning/re-learning ASL after a 20 year break. I played Squad Leader in the 80s and bought ASL about when it came out, but as a teen just couldn't get the hang of of it. So nearing my 40th birthday, I'm giving it another go. Plus I need some good mental exercise anyway. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and have the ASL rulebook, BV, Yanks and Paratrooper.

Scott

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi. I have recently begun learning/re-learning ASL after a 20 year break. I played Squad Leader in the 80s and bought ASL about when it came out, but as a teen just couldn't get the hang of of it. So nearing my 40th birthday, I'm giving it another go. Plus I need some good mental exercise anyway. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and have the ASL rulebook, BV, Yanks and Paratrooper.

Scott
Scott,

There is a guy from the Pittsburgh area that frequents the listing...

Also, there are a few in Northern Ohio that have regular meetings once a month.

SBeaudway

Recruit
Reaction score
Scott,

There is a guy from the Pittsburgh area that frequents the listing...

Also, there are a few in Northern Ohio that have regular meetings once a month.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Right now I feel barely capable at reading the rules. :) But, hopefully, one day I'll get it all under control enough to actually play someone.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard Scott. Everything you could possibly want to know about ASL is now within your reach. Whether it is written in the forum, or gleaned from one of the many masters here, you have available a wealth of ASL knowledge. Again, Welcome.

killbox169

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome Scott,

My story sounds strangely like yours. I found a group in Atlanta and I am having a great time learning ASL. I read the rules over and over and had no idea what i was doing until I palyed with someone with experience. Good luck, go find some players and dive in!

SBeaudway

Recruit
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome, I appreciate it. It's nice to find a forum to ask questions. Certainly makes diving back into ASL less daunting. And other players or not, I'm diving in. Actually, one of my gamer pals said he'd "look behind the curtain" at ASL with me. So maybe I'll get another convert.

Scott

cjs65

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi all, I'm Carl.

I'm located in North Kent in the UK and have been playing ASL since about 1987/88 (?). I was a regular at the Intensive Fire tournament until 1997 (when I was individual champion - having lost EVERY game the year before) but then pretty much gave up the game for 10 years or so. I went back to IF in '07 and got my rear end handed to me on a plate because I was so rusty.

Now I'm back into it again after another year off and determined to get back to a reasonable standard of play. Maybe I'll think about trying Intensive Fire again in '09...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, Carl.
I hope you will find all the ressources you need around here, and some fun too.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, I'm Carl.

I'm located in North Kent in the UK and have been playing ASL since about 1987/88 (?). I was a regular at the Intensive Fire tournament until 1997 (when I was individual champion - having lost EVERY game the year before) but then pretty much gave up the game for 10 years or so. I went back to IF in '07 and got my rear end handed to me on a plate because I was so rusty.

Now I'm back into it again after another year off and determined to get back to a reasonable standard of play. Maybe I'll think about trying Intensive Fire again in '09...
Hey Carl,

Glad to have you back in the fold.

I'm glad the IF folks will have another 'card-baord warrior' around.

SBeaudway

Recruit
Reaction score
So I spent several hours yesterday putting nearly the entire German and Finnish OB in counter storage trays. The chits were still all jumbled together after an auto wreck, well, a long, long time ago. Hence, my return to ASL after a very long break. (Fortunately, the Russians and Yanks were spared.) After taking a look at my 15 counter storage trays filled with chits and 24 mapboards, I came to one realization.

It's an enviromental imperative that I get back into to ASL and use all this stuff. Those trees can not have died in vain! I mean, I think we're talking about an acre of trees here. :)

Scott, an environmentalist-wargamer

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all, I'm Carl.

A guy called Aaron lives in Gravesend, very good player and about what 4 miles from you? If you want his e-mail address to try and hook up just PM me

Good Luck in the games
Ian