New members introduce yourself here

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
welcome back!!
VASL now is much better than 2008 and that problem (do you remember what I asked you before you disappeared?) has been solved.
Ciao ecz, that problem was why I left the community - because I had no ability to solve it. At the time, I did pass your info to other VASL programming gurus, & I am very glad to learn that the issue is resolved.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Welcome back!
Check out vasl.info in the net. You will find almost everything there to get back into VASL. Only some maps and a few extensions (mainly for CH) are to be found somewhere else - General Mayhem on this forum can point you to them.
Cheers,
von Marwitz
hi von Marwitz, thanks for the pointer to vasl.info.
I guess my path is:
1) Install JRE (I'm going for JRE 7 or 8, my new box has Win7pro)
2) Install VASSAL
3) Install VASL
If I can get that done, I'll spend a bit of time solo, then will come looking for an opponent.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
VASL is now a simple VASSAL module.
You run VASSAL then choose the VASL module as any other boardgame's module.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I guess my path is:
2) Install VASSAL
3) Install VASL
If I can get that done, I'll spend a bit of time solo, then will come looking for an opponent.
That is basically it. You might add:

4) Downloading the mapboards (most can be found on vasl.info)
5) Downloading some of the useful extensions to VASL (most can be found on vasl.info)
6) If you don't have it already, install Skype for voice communication which will speed up play tremendously compared to using only the log.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess my path is:
2) Install VASSAL
3) Install VASL
Wow!!! A blast from the past. Good to see you, hope all is well.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems I created this account almost six years ago, but only I only really started doing anything here in the last couple weeks.

I got into ASL through Starter Kit #3 back in college. After a few years playing Starter Kit scenarios, reading AARs, and dreaming of a world where concealment counters were a thing, I started poking around online for local ASL groups.

I found Twin Cities ASL.

And then I went to a meeting.

At that meeting, I met a whole bunch of really nice folks. I played as the Poles for the first time, and I discovered just how different boards 5 and 43 are from anything in the Starter Kits. And by some miracle and a few lucky sniper roles, I won that first game.

I was completely hooked. My wallet looks back on that day in horror.

When Rising Sun was released, I became a hardcore PTO junkie.

And I've never looked back.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going to a "meeting" is supposed to get you off something, not pull you further in.

Welcome (back)!
Thank you! I suppose I've been attending the wrong type of meetings then-- every time I get together with a group of like minded people, I end up way deeper into the subject at hand than when I started out.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy all. Brand new to ASL. Located in NC on the coast and looking forward to learning all I can and contributing when I am able. I have the starter kits as well as the 2d Ed rules, BV, yanks and a couple of action packs. Looking to expand my collection as I am able. Thanks all!
Welcome aboard! You have a long, amazing journey ahead of you. To paraphrase Q, ASL is "wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ciao ecz, that problem was why I left the community - because I had no ability to solve it. At the time, I did pass your info to other VASL programming gurus, & I am very glad to learn that the issue is resolved.
What problem was that? I got back into VASL coding a few years ago and Tom had a pretty verbose to-do list, but none of them really hindered play much.

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An Old Phart here. Started with buying The Purple Box at Origins III in Staten Island. Still remember reading the rules and saying to myself …. “What? No zones-of-control??” Played ASL via GEnie, and the north NJ ASL club.

I’m back after a long absence, promising myself that this time I’ll stick just to the US, German, Russki, and Brit stuff. (“Yeah, right.”) I’m now trying to relearn the ASLRB. I’ve found that VASL is much improved, the Pocket Rulebook is quite handy, and alot of MMP ASL products are out-of-print.

John Malaska

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome back home.
Prodigal sons are forgiven over here. :happy:

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TY S&S!

I've completed my re-reading of Chapter A. About to start Chapter B, which shouldn't take as long.

Then, I'll look for a VASL opponent who hopefully will be tolerant with a recycled novice's mistakes. Intend to stick with something simple, like Gavins Take.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m back after a long absence, promising myself that this time I’ll stick just to the US, German, Russki, and Brit stuff....
That's what I thought too, when I was getting into it. Now pardon me, I need to run off and finish sorting out my Suicide Creek counters from my Operation Watchtower counters....

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi all; I'm new to this forum. I'm a wargamer from the 80's and have been trying to squeeze it back in. I've hauled many of the ASL products (AH and MMP) around the country and finally sold them off to play Starter Kits (I have all the components). I did keep my 1st edition rulebook and Paratrooper to scratch the full ASL itch but I have to admit for someone with limited time (and lots of other game and hobby interests), the SKs are at least keeping me in the game (pun intended). Great site. Looking forward to seeing more.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here !
A number of players are content with the SKs - which MMP is developing as a line of products, separately from full ASL (a PTO module has been anounced).
The SK offer the simplicity of SL, with more coherent rules - and better defensive fire mechanics.

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, kind sir. It's been fun to relive some memories. Family, cycling, trying to keep up with fly-fishing have dominated my time but I'm getting a few games in (all solo but that's never bothered me). I've never played PTO in ASL so looking forward to it in SK. I'm quite sure it will be watered down but it's better than nothing. Thanks again.

Welcome here !
A number of players are content with the SKs - which MMP is developing as a line of products, separately from full ASL (a PTO module has been anounced).
The SK offer the simplicity of SL, with more coherent rules - and better defensive fire mechanics.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you, kind sir. It's been fun to relive some memories. Family, cycling, trying to keep up with fly-fishing have dominated my time but I'm getting a few games in (all solo but that's never bothered me). I've never played PTO in ASL so looking forward to it in SK. I'm quite sure it will be watered down but it's better than nothing. Thanks again.
It has been brought up many times previously, but one more won't hurt; You can go to a site called VASSAL, download their game engine and instruction on how to use it then go to the VASL site to download ASL(ASLSK) with all its boards etc for a virtual setup/play. VASL will allow you to connect to other players world wide if for nothing else that to view their games if not for actual play utilizing the internet. Of course an added benefit of VASSAL is that there are several other game modules available for download as well. If you do not already have this it is well worth the effort to check out the sites and download what interests you. Welcome aboard BTW.:thumbsup:

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I've know of VASSAL for a long time but never bothered to check it out - call it laziness, some hint of old age (I started playing games long before PCs so I'm a touch nostalgic about pushing cardboard), and probably not that tech savvy. But maybe, just maybe, you've convinced me. It's certainly frequently discussed. Thanks for the information and the warm welcome!

It has been brought up many times previously, but one more won't hurt; You can go to a site called VASSAL, download their game engine and instruction on how to use it then go to the VASL site to download ASL(ASLSK) with all its boards etc for a virtual setup/play. VASL will allow you to connect to other players world wide if for nothing else that to view their games if not for actual play utilizing the internet. Of course an added benefit of VASSAL is that there are several other game modules available for download as well. If you do not already have this it is well worth the effort to check out the sites and download what interests you. Welcome aboard BTW.:thumbsup: