New members introduce yourself here

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi forum dwellers!
I have been lurking for about a month and thought it time i exposed myself, in a manner of speaking. I am currently working through SK3 and will hopefully have DaE in a couple of months, as well as the basic ASL stuff for when i make the leap. I was one of those that originally bought ASL and read extensively but never actually played, due to isolation etc., and i got rid of it in sort of tragic circumstances in the early 90s. Recently, thanks to the INTERNET, i got curious and found VASL, the Desperation Morale website, this forum, 2 half squads and other sites and realised you don't have to be lonely to like ASL, even in Australia. So i have been inspired to take it up in earnest, for ever.
Are you near Melbourne ? as Steve Linton lives there he is a very good ASLer and is a good teacher

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks heaps guys!
I certainly am looking forward to the opportunities that being an ASLer entails. It's nice to know too that I can find help here to overcome whatever difficulties I might encounter on the way. Btw, I live in a sleepy town called Canberra, which is as far from anything interesting you can get without retreating into the desert (I exaggerate, somewhat)
The town had a WW2 cruiser named after it, didn't it? That is somewhat of a claim to fame. :)

farco

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi to the community.
I bought ASL-SK (1 to 3) in 2016 but by lack of time I only started played it recently this current year. And so far I like it; the mechanics seems OK to me.
I'm not a newbie in wargaming since I playing from the late 80's, but outside of the Speed of Heat, Challenger 2000 and in some extent Harpoon 4 I never been a big player of any tactical wargame, I was more an operational level wargamer. I loved to study the rules of C2000 and Harpoon, and I really tried to play SoH, but it was so a buggy mess that I passed more time to apply the multiple erratatas than playing it.
I heard from ASL for about 30 years and finally decided to take the (light) jump after I learnt about the SK series.
I also acquired RLB2nd Ed., BV, Yanks, FkaC and RS, since my plan is to play PTO.
I'm mainly interested to play Pacific / Asia (early to late period) and June 44+ Western Front scenarios. I'm also interested by the North Africa front, but since I prefer to wait for an eventual reprint / update of this theatre of operation, this part is on hold :rolleyes:
So my plan is to continue to explore and play the scenarios of SK#1 and 2 and, after this, to jump full ASL since I heard that there are many differences between the vehicles rules of the full game and the SK series, to the point it would require to re-learn the basics of them.
All in all that will be a long process, but ASL is a hobby by the impressive size of playing material, so step after step it will do it.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here, farco !
I hope that you will find useful resources here.
The most renowed rules gurus (Kalsmalmstrom and jrv) readily answer rules questions in the rules and errata folder.
If you have difficulties finding FtF opponents, install VASSAL and the VASL module : this allows online and pbem playing for free.
All the best for your first steps in what I consider as the best of all wargames.

farco

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Welcome here, farco !
I hope that you will find useful resources here.
The most renowed rules gurus (Kalsmalmstrom and jrv) readily answer rules questions in the rules and errata folder.
If you have difficulties finding FtF opponents, install VASSAL and the VASL module : this allows online and pbem playing for free.
All the best for your first steps in what I consider as the best of all wargames.
Thanks!:)
For now it is OK with the rules, but I need to play more to memorize them. I also found the RB2nd edition very helpful, because even if the rules of the SK are light, certain explanations (about certain counters for example like the smoke) are absent or not clear.
I really love the index of the main RB and it facilitate a lot that the SK stay ASL even if stripped of many rules. They really had a great idea to make this series.
In a way the main RB become less and less frightening over the time I looking at it :oops:.

buser333

Reaction score
Thanks!:)
For now it is OK with the rules, but I need to play more to memorize them. I also found the RB2nd edition very helpful, because even if the rules of the SK are light, certain explanations (about certain counters for example like the smoke) are absent or not clear.
I really love the index of the main RB and it facilitate a lot that the SK stay ASL even if stripped of many rules. They really had a great idea to make this series.
In a way the main RB become less and less frightening over the time I looking at it :oops:.
Welcome to the hobby. The rulebook will definitely look less and less frightening the more you read it and (especially) play the game. But you will also find that, no matter how long you play, there will always be something new you'll be learning.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I still am learning something new - and unlearning some wrong practices - of the rules.
Nobody masters the system absolutely, even though some are more gifted in it interpretation.
That complexity is part of the pleasure of ASL for most players.

prekarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
New member reporting in. I have known of the existence of ASL for a long time, but somehow it has felt intimidating. Noticed SK1&2 for a good price in FB boardgame sales group and decided to pick them up.

Already planning on purchasing BV...

I am from Finland, and there seems to be an active scene in here.

That being said, also looking for PBEM opponents.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here.
There indeed is an active Finnish ASL community.
I hope that you will find the resources and gaming opportunities that you are looking for.
The Rules and errata folder is an excellent place to ask (or search for) rules questions.
Also, if you don't find a Face-to-face opponent, VASL is an excellent way of playing online.

prekarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Resources is at least something this hobby is not lacking :)

Actually got into my first VASL PBEM game today.

And would like to start many more to get plenty of action, but not sure how many I can realistically commit to simultaneously.

I need to contain my excitment...

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
New to the ASL forum just wanted to say hi!
RD, where in MO are you? I'm in Joplin. With my luck, you'll be in Hannibal.

There are active groups in both Kansas City and St. Louis. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some contacts.

Cheers,

Mark

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello. Just ordered Starter Kit #1 and ready to get playing again

I've had ASL rules v1 and most of the Avalon Hill modules (most unpunched) sitting in my garage for 20 years. I stumbled on the 2 Half Squads podcast a month ago and can't stop listening. A coworker had played SL way back when and I asked him if he would want to start playing. He said yes so I purchased SK1. Don't know how long until it ships.

I'll be lurking for a while until I have questions.

Cheers

buser333

Reaction score
Hello. Just ordered Starter Kit #1 and ready to get playing again

I've had ASL rules v1 and most of the Avalon Hill modules (most unpunched) sitting in my garage for 20 years. I stumbled on the 2 Half Squads podcast a month ago and can't stop listening. A coworker had played SL way back when and I asked him if he would want to start playing. He said yes so I purchased SK1. Don't know how long until it ships.

I'll be lurking for a while until I have questions.

Cheers
Great to have you aboard. You will find many people here will be quick to respond to any questions you may post.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Welcome here.
The Rules and Errata folder is a gold mine to find answers to rules questions - already by searching it, as many questions have already been adressed, but also by posting your questions: some extremely competent rules gurus will answer them very quickly.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The Rules and Errata folder is a gold mine to find answers to rules questions - already by searching it, as many questions have already been adressed, but also by posting your questions: some extremely competent rules gurus will answer them very quickly.
Since the inherent search function of the forum does not work well, it is better to search via google like this:

site:gamesquad.com "<search query>"

Ah - and welcome, of course. ;)

von Marwitz