New Desperation Morale Blog Post

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, if you died from cardiac arrest maybe they said it was coronavirus? There is no one saying anything related to the position that you just took. There are many coroners, throughout the US, that have said they didn't have any way to determine if the death was caused by covid or not.

You are just making something up.
Similar to the count of deaths in an earthquake. Someone dies of cardiac arrest during the quake is counted as a quake-related death even though nothing fell on them. Small %, yes but don't pooh-pooh the idea.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
A big tell is going to come when we (US) start to really come out of safe distancing/ self-quarantine. Time is going to tell us if this is a wise move. I do get it that our economy, and peoples lives particularly, cannot stay locked down and we are going to have to do something.
As things are now, I will save you the suspense: there will be another spike. We have not built a herd immunity that we know of and we haven't/can't disinfect the world. This doesn't really end until we have herd immunity or we have eradicated the virus. While I am no expert, I can't imagine eradicating this virus in my lifetime. We could chose a course where we let the virus run wild and let the chips fall but that doesn't seem smart. We could take a middle course of cycling through a losing restrictions and lock-downs, to allow people to be exposed slowly, ensuring our medical systems to remain cohesive but that seems sadistic and heartless to me. At some point, a lot of people need to be exposed in some form. Waiting for a vaccine seems the most humane approach but who knows how long that could take. -- jim

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Waiting for a vaccine seems the most humane approach but who knows how long that could take. -- jim
Even expedited vaccine trails will take a year to gather and analyze the data, minimum. Also, most vaccine trials fail. I don't think waiting for a vaccine is a realistic option for opening up.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even expedited vaccine trails will take a year to gather and analyze the data, minimum. Also, most vaccine trials fail. I don't think waiting for a vaccine is a realistic option for opening up.
Completely agree. Something has to happen one way or the other. The economy (peoples livelihood) can't wait for 12 - 18 months but, we also can't go willy nilly.

Back on topic. If we do have a spike, I think it is foolish to pack a bunch of us old farts in a conference room and think nothing is going to happen. Just so I can finish this as an ASL post, that is the equivalent of a pissed off commissar. Someone might get hurt...

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
(Cary, Michael and other censors: this comment is clearly ASL related, the ASL Tournament Industrial Complex is suffering what could be irreparable harm when even old geezers learn that you can participate in VASL tournaments, save on travel money and avoid drunk Swedes).
There were VASL tournaments before COVID so I doubt the recent rash of online tournaments will see the end of face to face tournaments because they are too much fun. This year's level of participation in FtF tournaments will be lower than the past decade's average but it is not the end of such tournaments.

So far the discussions have been fine. Watch and self edit for the three P's. Do not let the discussion get political or personal and avoid profanity.

From what I understand, COVID-19 is a coronavirus that has never infected humans before, hence the term novel coronavirus. Biologists estimate the last similar occurrence happened over a thousand years ago, before the advent of science. To me, that puts more question marks behind some of the assumptions, which are based on past study of coronaviruses, because this crossover process has never been seen or studied in humans. Since I have several comorbids, I have decided to wait until 2021 before considering attending a FtF tournament.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I knew this when I typed that :) IMO, I think we will yo-yo for 12 - 18 months while someone scratches out a vaccine to inoculate the herd. The cynic in me thinks the reason we aren't testing more broadly is because those who have had it are inoculated (IMO) should be free to move about the country. That won't fly with those shut in at all and it would be hard to tell one group from the other. -- jim

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
From what I understand, COVID-19 is a virus that has never infected humans before, hence the term novel coronavirus.

Biologists estimate the last similar occurrence happened over a thousand years ago, before the advent of science.

-------------------------------

You have ever heard of a virus called HIV ?

Viruses mutate all the time (like most living things) and skipping from one species to another is the most common way new diseases are created, as far as I know.
Yes. HIV is a crossover virus. HIV is from a different family.

Let me specify, COVID-19 is a coronavirus that has never infected humans before. That is what I recall the article said.

Too many unknown variables and too little data for the few known variables for me to remain as carefree as I was before this disease. I choose to be cautious.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As things are now, I will save you the suspense: there will be another spike. We have not built a herd immunity that we know of and we haven't/can't disinfect the world.
In ASL terms, you're saying that Covid is about to roll for reinforcements, so don't rush ahead too hazardously. ;)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be interesting to see when restrictions are eased and there is a reoccurrence spike if NY and NO will have less of a spike than say San Fran because they have built up more of the herd immunity.

ASL: NY and NO have been rolling 10s and 11s so they then they'll be on a 3s and 4s streak. Eventually it will even out in the long run. How long?.......

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
In ASL terms, you're saying that Covid is about to roll for reinforcements, so don't rush ahead too hazardously. ;)
I won't conceal my posts behind ASL'ese when the owner doesn't ;) -- jim

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I don't want to catch it as the last place you wanna be at the moment is the hospital.

However I will never be able to live with myself if I get it and spread to my wife, my kid or my parents. The last thing I want to see is them suffering/dying all alone in a hospital.

.. and all that not as a sacrifice for some noble cause like humanitarian work on the Ebola, but for some boardgame tournament?
I hear you Jackson, my big fear is me and Donna are older and have underlying health issues so have to be careful so though she still works in the Mental Health field (no picnic at this time) I choose to stay home but for one day maybe once every week or two for supplies to stay safe. I just got this nice game room and looks like it will be awhile before I can have ftf gaming in it, but better to be safe than sorry.

I look forward to the day when I can have my ASL friends over in the coming months. Better days are certainly ahead, we just have to get there. Here in Mass we have a ways to go, this really makes me appreciate my pets, my music and my hobby for sure when Donna is not here, Vic.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I hear you Jackson, my big fear is me and Donna are older and have underlying health issues so have to be careful so though she still works in the Mental Health field (no picnic at this time) I choose to stay home but for one day maybe once every week or two for supplies to stay safe. I just got this nice game room and looks like it will be awhile before I can have ftf gaming in it, but better to be safe than sorry.

I look forward to the day when I can have my ASL friends over in the coming months. Better days are certainly ahead, we just have to get there. Here in Mass we have a ways to go, this really makes me appreciate my pets, my music and my hobby for sure when Donna is not here, Vic.
Yeah mate, the best days are still to come! Keep well!!!

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
There were VASL tournaments before COVID so I doubt the recent rash of online tournaments will see the end of face to face tournaments because they are too much fun. This year's level of participation in FtF tournaments will be lower than the past decade's average but it is not the end of such tournaments.
Thanks for the comforting words, and I hope so. That said, habits are hard to break, and if enough of the ASL community gets out of the habit of attending ASL tournaments it might be hard to get attendance back to pre-Covid19 levels.

Personally I have restarted/intensified a couple of other dormant hobbies, all Covid19 compatible, and frankly I am having a blast. This started late last fall, but intensified the last month or so. I still play VASL 5 times a week, but I do not know if I ever will get back to the 11 tournaments I attended last year. The other hobbies are just as fun ... and require less travel.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the comforting words, and I hope so. That said, habits are hard to break, and if enough of the ASL community gets out of the habit of attending ASL tournaments it might be hard to get attendance back to pre-Covid19 levels.

Personally I have restarted/intensified a couple of other dormant hobbies, all Covid19 compatible, and frankly I am having a blast. This started late last fall, but intensified the last month or so. I still play VASL 5 times a week, but I do not know if I ever will get back to the 11 tournaments I attended last year. The other hobbies are just as fun ... and require less travel.
Well, I glad to have met you while you were travelling.