Naughty tricks

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Come on Rodger, remember the song : "keep playing those mind games forever..." Mind games are half the fun.lol

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Personally, your mind tricks would fail on me. I have played enough of this game to know I don't worry about what I can't see. I play as if it isn't there until you put it on the table. You can't let what's not there slow you down. If it is, and you whack something with it, that's the cost of finding it. If it isn't there (or you don't put it on the table), it's just more pressure you have to deal with. So play your little games, they phase me not. I am playing games of my own :) -- jim

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If stopping a players move to calculate a TH roll or see if you 'might' have an LOS to that unit or to decide if you want to bring on an HIP unit to FF is what the OP's talking about, then I'm guilty, otherwise I'm not..

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Personally, your mind tricks would fail on me. I have played enough of this game to know I don't worry about what I can't see. I play as if it isn't there until you put it on the table. You can't let what's not there slow you down. If it is, and you whack something with it, that's the cost of finding it. If it isn't there (or you don't put it on the table), it's just more pressure you have to deal with. So play your little games, they phase me not. I am playing games of my own :) -- jim
I agree with you again (this is becoming embarassing).
I also don't really care about HIP units too much : I just remain conscious that they are around (and try to avoid really stupid moves in the open, etc.), but Hipsters won't "freeze" me.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, "to annoy" sure set a negative tone with me.
Yes, but he used 'naughty' in the title...that is the light-heart aspect I think Perry was working off...the title didn't use the "F/u tricks" or "Unfair tricks". Naughty is a word that while dealing with wrong doing also has a less than totally dishonorable quality to it,

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing I do in a game is ever done for the purpose of "annoying" my opponent. Indeed, the only part of my game that may annoy someone is my jarring lack of skill and ability, lol. Will I do/say something to get in their head, though? Sure, why wouldn't you? That isn't something that's unique to ASL. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to think of any competitive game or sport where mind games and trash talk aren't an intrinsic part of it. And with ASL, deception is even built into the game. The subtle manipulation of dummy stacks comes immediately to mind. Deception is part of war in the real world, too. Do you think the Germans cried foul when Patton's 1st Army group didn't land at Calais in June 1944?

However, in this, as in all things, context is key. If I'm playing someone I haven't played before, there is a level of decorum that I feel one should observe. A feeling out process, so to speak. I have a few different guys that I play with on a fairly regular basis and, surprise surprise, they're all very different to play with. But in every case, we all know where that unspoken line is. And it's different for everyone. We're adults, after all. It really isn't rocket science. Perry and I play all the time and I can honestly say that you won't find a guy more fun and amenable to play with. Hell, I've gone as far as naming my leaders after his wife and daughter so he'd feel guilty about shooting at them. No, it didn't work, but he saw it in the spirit intended. That's not something I would ever do to someone I was just hooking up with for the first few times though.

Now, if your whole game is solely predicated on a "do whatever you have to, cheat if you can get away with it, win at any cost" mentality, then that's a different story. I probably don't want to play with you either. Truth be told, in almost every game that I've "won," my opponent had to point it out to me. A little like the baseball player who forgets how many outs there are in the inning, I get so wrapped up in my strategy that I forget what turn it is.

My goal when I play a game is to have fun and enjoy the experience with whomever I'm playing. I have always looked at my wins and losses as a win or loss for the nationality I'm playing, not for me personally. I measure my personal wins and losses by how much fun I had on the journey.
It seems to me that those who earn the reputation as a douche nozzle to play against, don't have people to play against for very long. Word seems to get around quick, in this community.

Regards,
Jeff

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I'd be hard pressed to think of any competitive game or sport where mind games and trash talk aren't an intrinsic part of it."

Golf. The rules of that game are to always be gentlemanly and considerate of the other players. It is considered bad form to talk or make noise while another is about to make his shot. There are ways to get into someone's head during a game of golf or anything else, but it is best and most effective to do so by the game itself not through gimmicks like looking up rules and sighing, interrupting and causing the player to pause and so on.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I'd be hard pressed to think of any competitive game or sport where mind games and trash talk aren't an intrinsic part of it."

Golf. The rules of that game are to always be gentlemanly and considerate of the other players. It is considered bad form to talk or make noise while another is about to make his shot. There are ways to get into someone's head during a game of golf or anything else, but it is best and most effective to do so by the game itself not through gimmicks like looking up rules and sighing, interrupting and causing the player to pause and so on.
Golf is not a sport!! Reason being that there is little to no chance of serious injury!!
JK. Fair enough, point taken. :D

Best Regards,
Jeff

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The closest I would come to being "naughty" that I can think of, is if my opponent seems to be taking an awfully long time to finish his moves, I might say something like "a quick game's a good game". Even then I'd only do that if it's someone I already know well.

A friend of mine who I've known forever (and played wargames with for all that time) used to have a habit of asking if I had finished my movement phase when very obviously I had plenty of things left to move (and maybe I was the one taking my time to do it). Normally I would take that in the spirit it was intended but one day I was not in a very good mood (and my performance in the game was not helping!) and I snapped and said something along the lines of "when you say that it annoys the hell out of me" and he stopped doing it, which just shows he was more considerate than I was ....

Silly banter is just that, but if your opponent doesn't take it in the spirit that it was intended, it can become inappropriate (and thus a bit "naughty"). I don't think I've seen an example of someone being deliberately "naughty", though.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The closest I would come to being "naughty" that I can think of, is if my opponent seems to be taking an awfully long time to finish his moves, I might say something like "a quick game's a good game". Even then I'd only do that if it's someone I already know well.

A friend of mine who I've known forever (and played wargames with for all that time) used to have a habit of asking if I had finished my movement phase when very obviously I had plenty of things left to move (and maybe I was the one taking my time to do it). Normally I would take that in the spirit it was intended but one day I was not in a very good mood (and my performance in the game was not helping!) and I snapped and said something along the lines of "when you say that it annoys the hell out of me" and he stopped doing it, which just shows he was more considerate than I was ....

Silly banter is just that, but if your opponent doesn't take it in the spirit that it was intended, it can become inappropriate (and thus a bit "naughty"). I don't think I've seen an example of someone being deliberately "naughty", though.
If taking a long time to finish my moves would be considered "naughty," then I'll freely admit to being a naughty, naughty boy!! As a "rookie" in this game, "analysis paralysis" is a very real enemy that I fight on almost every turn. I assume that will become less prevalent at some point in the future, but I fear it will be a looooong process. :D

Best Regards,
Jeff

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I didn't say that taking a long time to finish your move was "naughty" (although I guess it could be ... if being slow is obviously annoying your opponent, and so you play slow even if you don't need to ...) ... what I said was "naughty" was commenting about how slow your opponent is.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't say that taking a long time to finish your move was "naughty" (although I guess it could be ... if being slow is obviously annoying your opponent, and so you play slow even if you don't need to ...) ... what I said was "naughty" was commenting about how slow your opponent is.
Oh, I know, Bruce. I didn't take it that way. I just found it humorous because if there is one failing I have that I worry about all the time, it's taking too long in my decisions and moves. Ask anyone I've played; they'll all tell you that I'm far harder on myself, in that respect, than they are. No one has ever said they don't want to play with me because I take too long, but I worry about it nonetheless, because I'm playing guys with a lot of games under their belts who don't normally need as much time to put things together. Fortunately, all the guys I play with remember a time when they were in the same boat, so they're all more than gracious about it. One of the most common phrases I hear during the course of my deliberations is, "I know what I would do." From there it turns into a teaching session, from which I am benefiting immeasurably.

I'll get there one day, just probably not any day soon. :D

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know I have some habits that may annoy a person during a game, but I don't do them purposely to annoy them. For instance, in a stressful position, I have a tendency to shake the dice in my hand even before dropping them into a dice tower. This PO'ed an opponent of mine at a tournament to no end to the point he loudly and vociferously objected. I don't recall doing it extensively or for a long protracted period, but then again it was a nervous habit given no thought by me. I have others such as lining up sets of dice to use in progression which seems to GREATLY annoy some players but it is not meant to, only a memory device for me. However, I have known opponents to slow a game extensively, especially if their winning, or ask to take an extended break when their fortunes are bad or it's a close game hoping I would concede (By extended break I mean, "Well, I have to check out of my room and load the rest of my gear into the car" or "I just have to see if the family is doing alright, they're in the Mall right across the street-On a Sunday" type break) and this in a game that is progressing rather swiftly. All in all though, the vast majority of players I've come across are congenial and if a degree of banter is present it is of a curious nature to get to know you type of thing or friendly "trash Talk" nature, understood by both of us.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would make the difference between half conscious habits (e.g. speaking too much, or fiddling with one's tweezers) and purposefully saying and doing things to distract, irritate or influence one's opponent.
The former can be easily corrected if they cause unease - well, in my case, speaking too much is a challenge to restrain.
The latter, if not within a mutually agreed (meta)game (which asks humour), can spoil a game and, in some cases, reveal a lack of fair-play.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry and I play all the time and I can honestly say that you won't find a guy more fun and amenable to play with. Hell, I've gone as far as naming my leaders after his wife and daughter so he'd feel guilty about shooting at them. No, it didn't work, but he saw it in the spirit intended. That's not something I would ever do to someone I was just hooking up with for the first few times though.

You are too kind Jeff, but it is true, I am a great chap to know:p we still on for today mate, should get back from camp about 1200 your time (1800 mine) grab some chow and a wash up, chat to the girls then it's showtime!