Naughty tricks

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
surely not? Does anyone employ tricks to annoy their opponents? Or lull them into falls e sense of security/complacency? Surely we are all pure in our play. Are there any examples of gamesmanship worthy of note?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Stopping someone during their move, and 'looking' at the situation, then saying, 'nah, your alright, carry on' , not really a trick or harmful, but a little bit of psychological warfare.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, not at all. It is inconsiderate to do so. I've had a few players try that BS on me and that usually is the last time I play them. I play a very polite and quiet game, keeping my demeanor calm. I only will point out rules issues and even at time point out if the opponent has forgot something. It's a game after all. I enjoy the simulation aspect more that the "I gotta win." That said, I play to win and to the best of my ability. Frankly, tricks and gimmick, outside of the play of the game itself, are childish, and if you need to win so bad, I'll just concede so you can bolster your ego and have something to tell your mom when you return home to her basement. I'll then go play against somebody more pleasant.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh dear, it's that time again. If such Tom foolery amongst friends is a no no, then clearly it is time to give up this game, playful shenanigans mean nothing, clearly some take this 'game' to seriously.
ASL is a game, but surely you will get more out of it if played in an open relaxed manner where friendly digs and slights mean nothing and taken as meant. Not some stuck up stuffy approach where if you sniff at an inappropriate time your opponent will cry foul as it may of put him off his dice throw!.

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh dear, it's that time again. If such Tom foolery amongst friends is a no no, then clearly it is time to give up this game, playful shenanigans mean nothing, clearly some take this 'game' to seriously.

No, just the opposite. I think those who need to employ such nonsense to win are taking the game too seriously. if it is two friends that play a lot, that is another story. That stuff probably doesn't affect either one anyways and there is probably an expectation. But if I barely know you, or don't know you at all and we sit down to a game at ASLOK or the ASL Open in Chicago and you start acting like a child, I will consider you inconsiderate and avoid playing you in the future. To me, doing such shows a lack of common respect and courtesy and puts one in the selfish "Me first and Me only" trash-talk folks that so pollute our sports and even our culture.

You see, if I am thinking hard about a certain move and you interrupt me with "Stopping someone during their move, and 'looking' at the situation, then saying, 'nah, your alright, carry on" just to screw with me, you are inconsiderate, severely. We have one in our group who likes to do that, even makes little machine gun noises and such. Gadz, its fatiguing.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, just the opposite. I think those who need to employ such nonsense to win are taking the game too seriously. if it is two friends that play a lot, that is another story. That stuff probably doesn't affect either one anyways and there is probably an expectation. But if I barely know you, or don't know you at all and we sit down to a game at ASLOK or the ASL Open in Chicago and you start acting like a child, I will consider you inconsiderate and avoid playing you in the future. To me, doing such shows a lack of common respect and courtesy and puts one in the selfish "Me first and Me only" trash-talk folks that so pollute our sports and even our culture.

You see, if I am thinking hard about a certain move and you interrupt me with "Stopping someone during their move, and 'looking' at the situation, then saying, 'nah, your alright, carry on" just to screw with me, you are inconsiderate, severely. We have one in our group who likes to do that, even makes little machine gun noises and such. Gadz, its fatiguing.

Machine gun noises and such are a bit much,but psy war ops are harmless between friends, if it ain't your thing so be it, if I was playing someone I did not know as a friend I would never consider it, but clearly some folks have a different mind set to me.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Machine gun noises and such are a bit much,but psy war ops are harmless between friends, if it ain't your thing so be it, if I was playing someone I did not know as a friend I would never consider it, but clearly some folks have a different mind set to me.

Maybe you are younger than me. But I've found over the course of the years that I lose respect for people who can't keep their mouths shut. I think this thread of thinking had it's seed planted way back in basic training in the Army when I discovered that those who always ran their mouths got the most "attention" from the Drill Sergeants.

If something needs to be said, by all means say it. if not, please allow me to focus, the game is difficult enough as it is, and maybe I'm old, becoming senile and it takes more energy to focus, so be nice and considerate about it. If you want to jabber and brag, and make machine gun noises, buy me a beer after the game and we can yell away at the bar. I'll make artillery noise to go with your machinegun and they will increase in caliber with more beer. But not when I'm playing please.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
ASL is a game, but surely you will get more out of it if played in an open relaxed manner where friendly digs and slights mean nothing and taken as meant. Not some stuck up stuffy approach where if you sniff at an inappropriate time your opponent will cry foul as it may of put him off his dice throw!.
<SHRUG> I have read this 5 times and still am uncertain of your point.

I am with Fred on this one. There is a difference between good natured "you're gonna take THAT shot there is no way that LOS is there get the string out biatch:cool:!" and someone stopping movement, moving counters around eye balling stuff and the like just to be a dick and try to get into someone's head.:(

I have seen worse behavior than that. I am fine with good natured ball busting, I am not OK with someone being a dick just to play some wierd mental meta game, but then again, I am a recovering Magic player.:cool:

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

I admit, I make MG and tank noises, at least if I see it does not piss off my opponent. If they are more "serious" I adjust :D:eek:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maybe you are younger than me. But I've found over the course of the years that I lose respect for people who can't keep their mouths shut. I think this thread of thinking had it's seed planted way back in basic training in the Army when I discovered that those who always ran their mouths got the most "attention" from the Drill Sergeants.

If something needs to be said, by all means say it. if not, please allow me to focus, the game is difficult enough as it is, and maybe I'm old, becoming senile and it takes more energy to focus, so be nice and considerate about it. If you want to jabber and brag, and make machine gun noises, buy me a beer after the game and we can yell away at the bar. I'll make artillery noise to go with your machinegun and they will increase in caliber with more beer. But not when I'm playing please.
Have been in the Army now 28 years, let you do the maths, ran my own platoon, and light hearted banter was encouraged, when it was time to get serious, we all knew it, but this is a game, if the fact that a friend likes to roll you when playing offends, don't play him, simple. But from your PoV, I would surmise I am some what younger, not by much though, although what age has to do with it when you get to our age group is beyond me.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I admit, I make MG and tank noises, at least if I see it does not piss off my opponent. If they are more "serious" I adjust :D:eek:
And you berate me for playing psychological warfare with my friendly opponent, mmmh go figure.
As you may be able to tell, I love ASL, but it is to me just a game, like all else.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have been in the Army now 28 years, let you do the maths, ran my own platoon, and light hearted banter was encouraged, when it was time to get serious, we all knew it, but this is a game, if the fact that a friend likes to roll you when playing offends, don't play him, simple. But from your PoV, I would surmise I am some what younger, not by much though, although what age has to do with it when you get to our age group is beyond me.
I was in for 34, ran units from squad to company up to a major theater TDA unit; none of which has anything to do with ASL. There is a difference between "light hearted banter" and the subject of the OP: "Does anyone employ tricks to annoy their opponents? Or lull them into falls e (sic) sense of security/complacency?" The latter are deliberate attempts to annoy, take someone off their game or downright piss them off. I know the difference and so do you I suspect.

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I have seen worse behavior than that. I am fine with good natured ball busting, I am not OK with someone being a dick just to play some wierd mental meta game, but then again, I am a recovering Magic player.:cool:
Speaking of Magic, I once had an opponent call the judge in order to go to the toilet. He was clearly winning and there was about 3 minutes left of the round. The judge stopped the clock for our game until my opponent came back. Then he sat down, tapped a mountain and lightning bolted me for the last 3 life points. We were not amused! :mad:

Anyhow. Mind tricks in friendly games are fine, as long as the other player enjoys them too. In a tournament, I'm a afraid you have to put up even with players you don't like.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was in for 34, ran units from squad to company up to a major theater TDA unit; none of which has anything to do with ASL. There is a difference between "light hearted banter" and the subject of the OP: "Does anyone employ tricks to annoy their opponents? Or lull them into falls e (sic) sense of security/complacency?" The latter are deliberate attempts to annoy, take someone off their game or downright piss them off. I know the difference and so do you I suspect.
I certainly do, but the Op I think was after a 'light hearted' approach, maybe, or maybe not. A bit of fun never hurt, but if not that is not on.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
And you berate me for playing psychological warfare with my friendly opponent, mmmh go figure.
As you may be able to tell, I love ASL, but it is to me just a game, like all else.
<SHRUG AGAIN>

I did not berate you. I happened to agree with Fred, (whom *you* berated BTW). You think it is OK to do (what I call dick behavior), you think I am childish for making MG noises. Neither one of us is 100% right and neither one of us is 100% wrong. Clearly we'd piss each other off. We'll have to live with that. Life is too short and gaming time too rare to get worked up over trivial stuff. Now sharing dice that is an entire different subject:jig::)

Peace

Roger

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You know, I think we would Piss each other off, pretty badly I think.