Finnish Troops

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
It is the excuse, not the answer. A simple rule upping morale levels during an amphibious invasion would have solved that problem without making Supermen.
Obviously *NOT* a former Marine! :) The Marines are represented by better quality units because they *are* better. Statement of fact! :p

Seriously, I think one of the things that the ML 8 for the Marines represents is the difference in training...Marines had more training reflecting the loss of leaders inherrant in amphibious assaults and the need for *all* Marines to be ready to step up and fill the vacated leadership positions.

But then again, I wasn't one of the designers, so what do I know? :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matt, I have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody said anything about changing any or all past scenarios. And there are plenty of 6-6-6s in the jungle scenarios, so I have no idea what you are getting at there, either.

Scott, the ML for Marines is 8 because the person who designed them was a Marine.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
Matt, I have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody said anything about changing any or all past scenarios. And there are plenty of 6-6-6s in the jungle scenarios, so I have no idea what you are getting at there, either.

I didn't say anything about changing it either. I was saying using 6-6-6' as Marines would entail limited scenario applications. Figure what Five 6-6-8's could maul Five 6-6-6's ? Easily.....marines were made tough for game mechanics.Other wise that 20 squad marine scenario becomes 40 x 6-6-6's. Although I do think there trainin was tougher, ASL upped them for PTO applications.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never said Marines should be represented by 6-6-6's....I have no idea what you are getting at.

paulkenny

Reaction score
For a couple of interesting non-woods Finn scenario look for a couple of my designs through CH. Betrayed by General Winter and Sissu at Summa are unique scenarios. BbGW allows you to utilize the ice hole rules!

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Everyone seems a little bitchy. Is it a full moon or something?

Could be because the shortest day of the year is almost here.

-Jay

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
I never said Marines should be represented by 6-6-6's....I have no idea what you are getting at.
I was mentioning how 8 morale was for playability of game mechanics. You mentioned there are alot more 6-6-6 (army) situations. Which has nothing to do with what I said in reference to the premise put forth. It makes sense why you are lost........

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
Scott, the ML for Marines is 8 because the person who designed them was a Marine.
Marines take care of their own. :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In all seriousness, I don't think that a ML of 8 is the problem as ML 8 is freely used for the elite formations of all nationalities. (Of course, being a former Marine I believe the Marines are an entirely Elite organization...except the air wing.) :p Everything that I have read regarding the Finns in the Winter War have supported their being given a ML of 8. They were some pretty tough hombres and well taken care of in terms of shelter and comfort in comparrison to the hapless Russian soldiers.

I've always felt that the Self Rally capability was the issue with the Finns...that's a mighty powerful advantage. Seeing Water Rabbit's breakdown of firepower for the Finn squads, I would have to agree that they do seem too high in the current squads.

Mark, I meant no offense in supporting the Marines ML of 8. I do agree that the 7-6-8's are the 800 lb. gorrillas of ASL...but what about the 6-5-8 SS squads with their broken side ML of 9?

Semper Fi!
Scott

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Matt Book said:
The Finns are tough in the game because they have to take on hordes of Russians. 12 Finnish 4-4-7's aren't gonna last long against those 26 Russian 4-4-7's. I don't care how well you ski. It's trying to strike a balance in the game mechanics and playability. This the same with the American 6-6-6's who have the same morale as Italians. While the Marines are morale 8. They are morale 8 because of the Japs who step reduce instead of just break. It gives the Marines the ability to hang in there as they whittle the Japs down. Just like Russian using the red TH numbers. It's there to let the Germans survive the game better, because there is usually so fewer of them. You can find these historical indiscrepancies all over. A Russian HMG/MMG with portage capicty of 5 ? Yeah maybe in buildings and woods, but it has wheels. It is going to carry faster then any other MG in open ground while troops are moving. Leave the Finns be......
Ok, Matt this is all not quite accurate. Yes it is a game. I know, been playing it for almost 26 years. :D

The problem with design by theater approach that you and others are advocating is that it kills off the 'What if?' type scenarios. A big draw of Third Reich was the ‘what if’ nature of it. I think design should focus on more historical factors.

What Mark is referring to is that there are many scenarios that use 666 squads to fight the Japs – these scenarios work. And yes if you replaced Marines with 666 troops a scenario would be out of balance – no duh and really beside the point . The rational that you have to have 8 morale troops to fight them because they step-reduce is called circular reasoning.

The Marines did have a strong fighting spirit. However, the claim that they received better training is questionable. There were just as many three week wonders in the Marines as the regular Army.

The Maxim PM 1910 machine gun to which you are referring did have wheels, though the Finns typically removed them and placed them on tripods. The wheels made it more difficult to move by infantry than other MG designs that could be divided up more evenly. All accounts I have read make 5 pp seem light for this sucker.

Russian use red to hit numbers because of poor optics and poor training -- a nation of illiterate peasants provided their manpower base.

The point I was trying to make about the Finns is that given the advantages they had, any Western European power would have made as good a showing under the same circumstances -- even the French! :cheeky: Ok, well maybe not. :D

I agree with Fezziwig's analysis as well. It matches my reading of the Winter War and the tactics the Finns used. The Russians had a big problem keeping their tanks supported by infantry. It wasn't until the Feburary offensive they figured this out.

Ron, just because someone strives for more realism does not make them a bullet counter. This is Squad leader not D&D on a hex map. :cheeky: Robin's explanation of a 447 with an inherent 8-1 could certainly make sense for some applications - at least in the Winter War. Because the Finns are represented by regular German units in the Continuance war it also works. This was the kind of explanation I was looking for – sometimes a question is just a question without any ulterior motive. ;)

I think that an 8 morale is too high for the bulk of the Finnish Army – a country with mandatory conscription no less. A 4 ELR works to simulate their strong fighting spirit. I think that an 8 morale should only be assigned to truly elite units.

One last point here -- a unit making a beach assault is treated as Fanatic G14.32 which does raise their morale by one and exempts them from cowering. This gives a Marine unit a 9 morale. I don’t have a problem giving the Marines 8 morale, I just think that the Rangers should probably have been given that as well and maybe some units from the 101st and 82nd Airborne. A 668 ranger squad without the underlined morale would be more believable, IMHO.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
WaterRabbit said:
I don’t have a problem giving the Marines 8 morale, I just think that the Rangers should probably have been given that as well and maybe some units from the 101st and 82nd Airborne. A 668 ranger squad without the underlined morale would be more believable, IMHO.
I asked myself, some time ago, if ASL shouldn't have produced "generic" infantry units, in two colours only (axis and allied), representing "generic" squads (rifle, smg, etc.). The variants (morale, range, FP) being given under the form of charts, etc.
This would help adapt to each situation...
Now, I am not making a proposal, but I believe the "caricatural" rendering of Infantry in ASL - though giving its spice to the game - attains sometimes its limits.
One of the most blatant sign of this was the "Partisan!" module, where Rumanians where sometimes represented by German 548s because the Axis Minor squad countermix did not have such "beefy" guys to offer... Immediate adaptation at the time of production speaks by itself...
Another sign is the diversification of the SS units - originally 658 or 468 - by adding 838, 548 and 447 squads to their mix (cf. DB and ABtF).
I do find elite US Army squads could be offered a 8 morale, under some circumstances : why should US paratroopers duck under fire more often than British ones ? (Brit speaking, by the way :rolleyes:)...

Last edited:

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
One last point here -- a unit making a beach assault is treated as Fanatic G14.32 which does raise their morale by one and exempts them from cowering. This gives a Marine unit a 9 morale. I don’t have a problem giving the Marines 8 morale, I just think that the Rangers should probably have been given that as well and maybe some units from the 101st and 82nd Airborne. A 668 ranger squad without the underlined morale would be more believable, IMHO.

Which is why I used a 6-6-8 Marine counter to represent the 1st SSF in "The Eternal City" SP??? (can't remember which one)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
With regard to Finns, I think the values are so egregious, that I won't even play scenarios with 6-4-8 Finns. I think the only other type of counter for which I have that categorical refusal is the 7-6-8 Marine counter.
Unfortunately, until possibly rectified in HP, the Finnish 648 is basically what we have. I agree that much of the Finn scenario base leaves alot to be desired, though some diamonds in the rough exist. I think a 4- or 557 should be the base squad type with 648s available on a 3 or 4 to 1 basis as shock troops. The -1 rationale as well as the CC advantage are both sound explanations for the current Finn levels. In the end, it works and that's what counts.

As for the interminable hue and cry over the USMC levels, for a group of folks who have at least a passing interest in history, I can't fathom why 8ML Marines are so distasteful. They were expected to go over the beach into the teeth of the defenses with little in the way of support except what could be carried shipboard. They were expected to take and hold, to be relieved by regular Army troops. Their doctrine at the time left little to the imagination: find the enemy, attack the enemy, kill the enemy and take his positions.
US Army doctrine was more cognizant of losses and relied on flexible artillery and armour support. Enemy positions would be worked over prior to the assault and maneuver would be used to pry him out of his positions. The Marine philosophy was more of 'standard' concept of the frontal, bludgeoning attack, with flanking maneuvers done but less emphasized. In this sense the Marines were more 'European' in nature than the Army; not more correct, only different.

A 768 squad represents 3x BAR, 7x M1 and 2x M1 car/SMG. The 7 FP falls in line with afore mentioned FP quantifications nicely. Of course, SL paratroopers carried an 8 FP value and I remember more wringing of hands over the *reduction* of FP in that case.

Ultimately, the values in ASL show a remarkably true to form picture of most units. They give definate advantages/disadvantages requiring each differing type of squad/nationality to be played differently. Remember scratching your head over the "3" FP of German LMGs or Partisans? The 5 and 7 of SMG squads? Subtle differences in AFph FP and CC advantages were learned and assimilated over time. I think the discussions dismissing many of the original choices, while often entertaining and informative, miss the overall point: they work.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My problem is not that USMC have 8 morale; my problem is that USMC have 8 morale and other elite Americans do not. USMC were no better in terms of tactics, fighting ability, or lower level leadership than Airborne Divisions, for example. So something is wrong in the system somewhere--basically the too-low morale for US Army units. But if US Army elite are going to be 7 morale, there's no way I accept USMC as 8 morale. There's no case for it.

da priest

Reaction score
pitman said:
...But if US Army elite are going to be 7 morale, there's no way I accept USMC as 8 morale. ...
? You don't play with the Marines then?

Or you make them only have a morale of 7, by house rule?

Or you use Marines for Para scenarios?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I already mentioned that I don't play scenarios with 7-6-8 marine squads. I am not sure if I've ever played a scenario with a 6-6-8 marine squad, although that would be more by chance than design. The weaker marine squads are less superhuman, so I do play scenarios with them, albeit not without grimacing.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
My problem is not that USMC have 8 morale; my problem is that USMC have 8 morale and other elite Americans do not. USMC were no better in terms of tactics, fighting ability, or lower level leadership than Airborne Divisions, for example. So something is wrong in the system somewhere--basically the too-low morale for US Army units. But if US Army elite are going to be 7 morale, there's no way I accept USMC as 8 morale. There's no case for it.
I really have little problem with the 6ML squads and yes, I bitch about it when I have them; I just think the effect feels correct and forces one to use these units differently than you otherwise would. Certainly these squads are not system busters as they have been successfully utilised for going on nearly 30 years.
The morale issue between say, Airborne and MARINES, despite the similiar situations they might find themselves in (dropped into Indian country with nary their own devices, potentially massive losses) I find plausible. Whereas Airborne units were a newer branch of service (and attracted many applicants due merely to the increased salary), the MARINES were an proud and established branch of service. They were a more professional breed of soldier than the average GI, despite the influx of raw recruits taken in during the war. The MARINES have always been an elite branch of service, giving them a boost over newer, untried and less storied branches is not a stretch IMO. The MARINES had an established track record, Airborne and Rangers did not. This is not to impugn either, as they certainly went on to establish themselves as elite units. They typically gain the ASL convention of +1 ML over the base 1st line squad. MARINES rate the normal elite status of most other nations. :p

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again, there is no evidence to suggest that USMC performance was better than Airborne performance during World War II.

As for the notion that 6-6-6 squads have been "successfully" used for many years, that is only because scenario designers have been forced to design around them.