Books - POWs and North Africa

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have a lot of books on WW2 covering all sorts of topics but I have not read anything (that I can recall) on......

1 - German POWs and their experiences and/or escape attempts

2 - The Arabic contribution to either Axis or Allies in North Africa. I have heard someone say that they "weren't allowed" to fight for the Allies - but have no idea of the source.

It's possible that something on the above subjects may be in my collection somewhere, but if anyone has a recommended reading it would be much appreciated.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
2 - The Arabic contribution to either Axis or Allies in North Africa. I have heard someone say that they "weren't allowed" to fight for the Allies - but have no idea of the source.
From the little mention that is made in books about the desert war, I got the impression that they spied on and stole from both sides fairly equally.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have a lot of books on WW2 covering all sorts of topics but I have not read anything (that I can recall) on......

1 - German POWs and their experiences and/or escape attempts
I've read Escape from Canada by John Melady.

IIRC he relates several incidents where German PoWs in Northern Ontario would escape and then come back days later after being tormented by mosquitos and blackflies.
There is also the tale on one poor bastard who escaped by jumping on a train. Days later he was apprehended in Calgary, thoroughly traumatized by the trip.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
From the little mention that is made in books about the desert war, I got the impression that they spied on and stole from both sides fairly equally.
I was hoping that there might be something more substantial that I was missing out on - thieves, spies and beggars it is then!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I was hoping that there might be something more substantial that I was missing out on - thieves, spies and beggars it is then!
The Muslim Brotherhood wanted to get up to tricks in Egypt with the aim of getting the British out (Egypt was technically neutral) but nothing much came of that. The Senussi gave the British some help (about a quarter of a million died fighting the Italinans from the '20s onward), but I have seen little information about the WW2 period.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

1 - German POWs and their experiences and/or escape attempts.
Panzer Commander, by Hans Von Luck. Commencing at chapter 22, Capture and Deportation, of this memoir, he addresses, in 56 pp, his 1945-to-1950 post-war captivity in the Soviet Union.

Chapter 23, In the Coal Mines of the Caucasus Mountains.
Chapter 24, "Kultura" and Corruption: The Russian Mentality.
Chapter 25, Punishment Camp: Hunger Strike and the KGB.
Chapter 26, Release.

IIRC, his book may also contain briefer accounts of other captives, as related to him after his release, including some officers shipped to the US.

Tigernaut

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's awhile since I read it but Popskis Private Army I'm sure makes mention of assistance from the natives in North Africa. Fine read in anycase, and gets me thinking if ASL has any such raiding force type scenarios, on the lines of the LRDG exploits.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It's awhile since I read it but Popskis Private Army I'm sure makes mention of assistance from the natives in North Africa. Fine read in anycase, and gets me thinking if ASL has any such raiding force type scenarios, on the lines of the LRDG exploits.
HoB did "Special Forces 1" on the LRDG & SAS

Tigernaut

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Paul, a good reminder for me. Alas, concentrating on getting the main modules first with Rising Sun hopefully next - scary how much money I've spent in the last year, and need to play more. Added to my wish list.

Certainly something I should look at but not seen much mention of them on the forum. Do you know if the scenarios are small tournament style or a little meatier ?

Just double checked the HOB website and $44 for each pack seems pricey for 6 scenarios and a small sheet of counters. Looks like I'm going to need Rising Sun to play a fair few of them in anycase with the Gavutu overlay needed.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Certainly something I should look at but not seen much mention of them on the forum. Do you know if the scenarios are small tournament style or a little meatier ?
All are 6 or 7 turns long with fairly low unit count. However due to the special LRDG/SAS rules and unusual OoB, often on both sides, I would be cautious about describing them as quick tournament style, until at least you get used to the different 'feel' of the new units.

If you have not checked out the review in Park Pitcavage's DM site then http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldhob2.html#packs is the address for the item, about 3/4 way down.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would recommend you find "Foxes of the Desert", written by Paul Carell.

Some might believe it is fiction, but I like the personalization of the events and the soldiers identified in the book.

8th Machinegun Battalion, very good outfit.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a tidbit, perhaps interesting, perhaps not. I am involved in Scouting in the Phoenix area. We have a very nice Scout ranch called "The Heard". Some of the buildings, plumbing, electrical wiring... was actually done by German POW's. I'm not sure where the POW camp was but I remember reading quite some time ago about an escape from it, the POW's were eventually recaptured in downtown Phoenix. Probably some info available through the PHX Library, maybe even online.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The POW camp was located at Papago Park, Arizona.

This location was near the "Hole in the Rock". The site is currently split into a few separate locations parts of the POW camp are now part of the Phoenix Zoo grounds. Other parts are now part of the Papago Reservation; and most of the rest is now part of the AZ National Guard grounds located just east of Hole in the Rock and the pyrimad tomb of "Hi Jolly" in Papago National Park.

The escape is very well known, it was rather large.

KRL, Jon H

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
My community here in northwest Kansas 'hosted' quite a few German POW. They helped on the local farms while the men were away at war. I would say that at least 75-85% of the people around here are of German heritage, specifically Volga German immigrants from southern Russia. So from what I've read and been told, there was no real animosity towards them or vice-versa. I remember my grandmother telling a story of how a bunch of them slept out in the barn at night, worked the fields during the day, and seemed to have no predilection for escape. They just wanted the war to be over like everyone else.

Our local public library has a few books on the subject, and a number of newspaper articles from the time. They are kept in the 'Kansas Historical Room', so unfortunately cannot be checked out. I've spent more than one lazy afternoon sitting in there reading them.