ASL Superstitions

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have only ever "abused" my dice once. I was playing an ASL game (I think a play test even and I was winning of all things) and I had a string of bad rolls. I don't even remember the rolls or the outcome, all I remember is picking up the dice, looking over my shoulder, and tossing the dice from my right hand over my left shoulder. Then the laughter from those behind me. Being embarrassed, I went to collect my dice off the floor and of course, they landed 1,1. Fuck dice. I hate them. :) -- jim
Mike Ziemetz says I threw my dice at him once, I don’t remember. He says he ducked like Bush ducked that shoe. My bad.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Ziemetz says I threw my dice at him once, I don’t remember. He says he ducked like Bush ducked that shoe. My bad.
Knowing Mike I can believe it. And that was before the game. (Not really,Mike's a good guy but I couldn't miss an opportunity to zing him).:p

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I can still see that shoe incident. A great moment in Presidential history!! I'd have 43 on my dodge ball team anytime!!?
He could at least get the ceremonial first pitch to the catcher, unlike most other Presidents. ??

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Shocked AFV will NEVER work out well for you, and it will INVARIABLY recover in the next RPh for your opponent.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can still see that shoe incident. A great moment in Presidential history!! I'd have 43 on my dodge ball team anytime!!?
He could at least get the ceremonial first pitch to the catcher, unlike most other Presidents. ??
I think he took the other off, reloaded for two shoes thrown, Bush head faked him or flinched depending how ya look at it. I throw way better than that.

I’ve probably thrown away a few dice in my day.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think he took the other off, reloaded for two shoes thrown, Bush head faked him or flinched depending how ya look at it. I throw way better than that.

I’ve probably thrown away a few dice in my day.
Really don't have a lot of strong Presidential memories but that incident really sticks with me.

One of my earliest memories of all was my Grandpa Burk swearing at President Eisenhower on the tv. I was four or five. Funny stuff.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Given your preference for silent rolling I take it you are not a fan of rolling in a glass.
Nope, the glasses are noisy & would wake up Donna & the pets if I used it.

Much prefer a well made, silent Pleva dice tower for sure, any game using dice, not just ASL, sees it in use.

That tower & my precision Battle School Dice are some of my most prized possessions, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nope, the glasses are noisy & would wake up Donna & the pets if I used it.

Much prefer a well made, silent Pleva dice tower for sure, any game using dice, not just ASL, sees it in use.

That tower & my precision Battle School Dice are some of my most prized possessions, Vic.
One evening at an Oktoberfest in Brookpark we were sitting at the TDs table and the noise from all the dice rolling in glasses was incredible. Of course there was plenty of other noise that added to the overall din but the glass rolling was quite distinctive. I wonder if Steve was inspired to create the silent dice tower because of such events. ?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
One evening at an Oktoberfest in Brookpark we were sitting at the TDs table and the noise from all the dice rolling in glasses was incredible. Of course there was plenty of other noise that added to the overall din but the glass rolling was quite distinctive. I wonder if Steve was inspired to create the silent dice tower because of such events. ?
He could have but in any case, we all use dice towers out here in western Mass & always do, for the same reasons no one uses glasses here, too damn noisy, Vic.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
He could have but in any case, we all use dice towers out here in western Mass & always do, for the same reasons no one uses glasses here, too damn noisy, Vic.
Thinking about it:
I believe no one has a glass-dicetower (not talking about plexi-glass)...

Maybe showing up at ASLOK and seating oneself next to Pleva with one would make him resume his production. ;)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
People who have glass dice towers shouldn't throw bones!
That's what I call coming to the point AND being on topic! ?

So, the truly 'classic' dice are out. These are better used with a Roman dicetower:

"PICTOS VICTOS / HOSTIS DELETA / LUDITE SECURI"
The Picts are defeated, the enemies vanquished, play safely.

I have spent some time of finding a replica of this one for some style points, however, the only type I could find is made from wood. Not bad. But not good enough for the Oberst.

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That's what I call coming to the point AND being on topic! ?

View attachment 15290

So, the truly 'classic' dice are out. These are better used with a Roman dicetower:

View attachment 15291

"PICTOS VICTOS / HOSTIS DELETA / LUDITE SECURI"
The Picts are defeated, the enemies vanquished, play safely.

I have spent some time of finding a replica of this one for some style points, however, the only type I could find is made from wood. Not bad. But not good enough for the Oberst.

von Marwitz
Somewhere in my house I have a set of Mammoth ivory dice that I got years ago