ASL Counters

Should ASL counters be changed with more colors per unit and the graphics redone?

• Yes

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My vote is "NO" but

From Consim in response to changing the graphics and adding more colors to the standard ASL counters,

Brian Y posted

Actually, it's funny this came up. Someone approached me late last week about doing some examples. I guess, with the P# system, this would be a possibility.

Beyond Valor has 13 countersheets. That would be, roughly, $60 retail, $45 preorder, with a P# of 570 people. For just that one module.

Discuss...

Brian

Last edited:

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Am I now expected to buy another dozen Planos to fit all the counters with the new artwork into my collection? NEIN! NYET! NO!

- Rick

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Gents

The counters is functional, beautiful and easy to read as is and all the counters one has can still be used if the counters do not change.

NO !!!

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Agreed. I have 10++ modules of counters, which would equate to about 60+ counter sheets. At Brian's approximated price, that would take roughly $240 out of my ASL budget, what a complete waste of money.

Considering the resources now at MMP's disposal, what module(s) would you like to do without while they make and sell these counters? Obviously if they are to tie up that much capital in reproducing stand alone countersets SOMETHING has to wait.
The counters as they stand do exactly what I need them to do and as an added bonus I can still read them without my glasses!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed!

So heres my Vote: NO!!!!!

scott

Commissar Piotr said:
Hi Gents

The counters is functional, beautiful and easy to read as is and all the counters one has can still be used if the counters do not change.

NO !!!

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is change just for the sake of change.

In the software industry, we love this. Because customers are always asking for thier app to be tweaked to add a l ittle more graphics or whatever with no real substance or value added.

Happy to do it @ 150.00 an hour :crosseye:

If they had to pay for some of these requests out of thier own pocket (rather than letting some annonymous accountant pay the tab), then most of them would go away.

I would never buy them if given the choice.

Let the few people who want them finance the project themselves (bet then it would never happen :eek: ). They can have thier rainbow, the rest of us can simply use the functional hardware.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I would not buy replacement counter sheets. I would rather see focus on AoO and other commitments, i.e., VotG, Ortona, etc.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No! I would not buy them.

Sure, they'd look nice; beautiful, even. But it sure would be a beautiful thing to have more HASLs, more scenarios, AoO, etc. The 'scarce resource' statement, above, sums it up.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
By considering new counters, etc, MMP could be just defocusing their efforts.

They've already made many ASL commitments with:

- AoO
- BVv2
- ASLRBv2
- VOTG
- J6
- God only knows what else

I'd recommend they review their critical paths and priorities as a team, and start focusing on actually getting stuff out the doors. (A SWOT comes to mind).

The more things on each person's plate, the less they actually accomplish as a team. That's what it's sure looking like to me.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You don't actually need the *FULL* countermix redone do you?

If you got the following in full colour for each nationality:
10 to 12 squads of each type (not 26)
5 or 6 half squads of each type
3 or 4 of each SW
1 each of leaders 10-3 to 9-2, 6+1
2 each of leaders 9-1 to 7-0

you could then play most published scenarios with the pretty coloured counters. I figure you need 1 counter sheet per nationality. Maybe you tweak the mix with slightly more German 467s and Russian 447s etc.

If you analyzed the current scenarios you could produce a reduced counter mix list that could be reasonably priced and cover the majority of scenarios.

Of course that would drive the perfectionists nuts when they have 12 full colour 467s and the scenario calls for 13.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Big fat NO for me. :(

Hell, I don't even want them to change the Finn colors. :crosseye:

Oh, well.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Voted Yes with an eye to the vehicle counters. They are pretty indistinguishable from one another. Can barely read the unit name on some of them. Symbols could probably be simplified with extra colors.

Infantry and SW are probably good enough.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Na... why bother, the expense of replacing counters is enough to deter me.

Personally i dont think there is too much wrong with the counters anyway... if you want them prettier why not play DASL and spend a fortune on micro-armour?

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Colorized Counters

I wouldn't mind color silhouettes and slightly larger fonts on the counters. However, that being said, I don't want half of my counters one way, and the other half the other way.

Also, I'm not wild about the colorizing I see on MMP's other games. For instance:

(1) Look at MMP's "Fire in the Sky" counters. The glyphs on the US and British Air counters are very difficult to see even against their own counter backgrounds. And the Carriers counter is way too busy with the American Eagle for a background.

(2) I don't like the black shadow of the Shifting Sands counters, either. To my eyes, they just make the counters more difficult to read.

(3) A while ago MMP had some sneak peaks of Panzer Blitz. There, they had two different font sizes that were just a little too close (in size) to each other. (I think they either needed to make the smaller font number visibly smaller or keep it the same size as the number next to it and change the color. My eye kept stumbling over it. The maps looked supercool, however!)

Thats my view of those specific counters. Others, I'm sure, have different opinions. Rather than risk MMP choosing a font/color/layout/watermark scheme that I dislike, I'd rather keep the counters as they are now...especially since it seems MMP is having a hard enough time just publishing ASL products that have been finished and ready to publish for a while.

...my thoughts...

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of you guys make me laugh. "No, no, don't give us electricity, we love the simplicity of burning wood." "Penicillin, who needs it?"

Face facts. ASL counters have 1970s counter technology. There are tons of games out there that have counters that put those in ASL to shame. It is possible to make a much more attractive unit counter than those we currently have.

Given that, why settle for crap?

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
Some of you guys make me laugh. "No, no, don't give us electricity, we love the simplicity of burning wood." "Penicillin, who needs it?"

Face facts. ASL counters have 1970s counter technology. There are tons of games out there that have counters that put those in ASL to shame. It is possible to make a much more attractive unit counter than those we currently have.

I liked the HoB counters. I'd like to have my counters look like that. Having said that I'm not sure I'm game to buy an entire new set of counters just to achieve that state. If there wasn't an installed base I'd definitely say go for it.

dave

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Legion said:
Na... why bother, the expense of replacing counters is enough to deter me.
That is the beauty of the P# system. If you don't like em, don't pre-order.

Personally i dont think there is too much wrong with the counters anyway... if you want them prettier why not play DASL and spend a fortune on micro-armour?
Who said anything about prettier. I'd just like them to be usable.

And in print. :D

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
Because there's ten freakin' thousand of them already. They function. I can play ASL fine with the ones I have.

I don't need ten freakin' thousand more.

JMHO :D

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I voted "No", but only because there are a million other things screaming to get out the door first of all.

I've got no problem if MMP redesign the counters though as they progressively run out of each module and do a new print run. That way, it's entirely optional for existing players as to whether or not they want to upgrade to the new counters or not.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Mark, read the poll results so far.

Your opinion (which you always state as "fact" and not "opinion"), seems to be in the minority.

Quite frankly, I am as tired you you complaining about the counters as I am of Scott baching MMP.

You do not like the counters and feel they are out of date, we get the point :D

Peace

Roger