ASL Counters

Should ASL counters be changed with more colors per unit and the graphics redone?

• Yes

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Talk about beating a dead horse here. :dead: Mark is fighting the rest of the online ASL universe on this on a monhtly basis I see. I do not see any point in doing this, as I IMO the current counters work just fine. :stop: Just punched my ASLSK and noticed that the font used is slightly bigger than on my old BV/yanks counters from late '80s. This was an improvement.

What I would like to see is a unmouted mapset with blown out (say 150%) size hexes compared to the current geoboards. It would make handling VBM and high counter density scenarios a lot easier. This would improve the averege ASL experience. :cool:

DLYoung70

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't taken the "vehemence" too badly... I don't think any of it has one single bit to do with anyone not liking the idea. I believe it's simply a case of "they already have 10 things to do that aren't getting done in a timely enough manner to satisy the customer base (at least around here), so let's not make it 11. In an ideal world, it's a GREAT idea!

The constant clamor for "bigger/better/faster/more" that is a trait of our modern society is nice, but until MMP is able to provide the bare minimum of basics... i.e. the rulebook and core modules available, and maybe one new product each year... then saddling them with yet another project is not really a good idea right now. They can't meet the minimum necessary output, so what good would it do to throw yet another bone on their plate... especially one that would likely be as labor-intensive as a new counter set.

Last night I happened to catch a few moments of some show on Comedy Central, where one of the performers was joking that while cavemen spent 90% of their day in the act of finding and acquiring food, we now live in a culture where waiting in the drive-thru line at a fast-food chain for more than a minute or two is seen as a tremendous inconvenience.

Fluff like updated "modern" counters, new maps, and even new products, is great to have, much like the convience of drive-thru fast food. But without the core of the system available, it's all a moot point... what good is a drive-thru if there is no food to eat? You don't see starving children in central African countries crying about a longer wait for food, because they don't have any. The ASL community is starving right now, because there is no rulebook and no basic module (BV) available. Until that situation is remedied, all the fluff in the world won't do any good, because the hobby will die of starvation.

Darrell

Last edited:

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's see, I suggested:

mkirschenbaum said:
The idea wouldn't be to strong-arm people into emptying the current contents of their Plano into the wastebasket, but to provide an "enhanced" experience for a few specific scenarios . . .
And Tuomo responded:

asloser said:
I do not see any point in doing this, as I IMO the current counters work just fine.
Hmm.

Darrell, I don't disagree with you about any of your points about production or priorities, but that's not why I wrote what I wrote.