So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Had a great playing of the small PTO scenario AP192 Brush Off with Tom Morin, we needed to playtest some stuff for a TotR type action but need the boards in that module in VASL and still waiting so went with Brush Off and so glad we did. The scenario came down to one of my crews getting pinned at the board edge as he tried to exit, then in CC I had a couple chances to win but rolled a 9 when I need an 8 on the last one and lost by 1 VP. This is a fun scenario with options on both sides, Tom thinks the Japanese need to clear the path near where they enter and threaten a turn 4 exit to make the Marines come after them. Very tense last turn and can see this be played as a catch up scenario in many tournaments. Try it and have fun!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played FT164 Guts Are Not Enough as the Burmese mostly conscipt defenders (ELR 2) against Byron’s attacking Brits at our TCASL monthly meet-up. Brit VC is to control all hut hexes on the “Hutsville” overlay 1. Two pretty flimsy OBs as the Brits have 8 x 447’s with two carriers buzzing around to make life difficult. Burmese had 9 x 336s and 3 x 347s.

The Burmese set up further back to avoid getting broken and then fully FTRed by the carriers. The Brits pushed on the defender’s left flank. A number of 336s broke, disrupted or seemed forever pinned for the first full half of the game. Fortunately, most defenders on the opposite flank were able to stay concealed and out of LOS. A pretty good plan for 6MLers. While the defender had taken some hits, the Brits simply couldn’t afford to lose troops with a lot to do to clear all of the huts. Eventually, some 2+1s finally reversed the momentum in the second half and breaks started to mount for the attackers. An additional help was one carrier went down to an MG (the other was abandoned). Even with getting some of the broken Brits troops rallied, they just didn’t have enough to challenge the defense’s right flank. In the end, a SAN-1, landed on a 8-1/broken 447 (now re-DMed) in B4 to seal their fate and they called off the attack.

It felt like two different games. The first tree turns were a grind for the defender: breaks, disruptions and pins – but confined to the left flank. When the dice came around for the Burmese, the Brits struggled pivot to the other flank and stay GO. A quirky scenario that was very fun that required some “puzzly” play. Both sides feeling they don't have "enough". Now 2-3 on ROAR. Thanks to Byron for another well-played, challenging game.

Final positions

Last edited:

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Japanese got Careless at Bakri (J201) and so couldn't pull if off. We were too aggressive too early with the tanks and lost two to mortar fire. Since my infantry where not yet on the board, the British sniper targeted mine several times knocking my sharpshooter out of the game! Still, was fun to watch my opponent curse the rules after my first all-hands Banzai gained five hexes at a cost of one red strip. End of Japan turn five below.

Attachments

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started a playtest tonight.
Russians vs Germans.
I’m the Russians.
Apparently, gun maintenance was not on the “to do” list; 4 malfs in the first turn.
“Double 6s on demand”.
🥵
With playtest, I always count a 12 on the first shot as a 'miss' with no malf.

After the weapon's first shot - play as normal.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
With playtest, I always count a 12 on the first shot as a 'miss' with no malf.

After the weapon's first shot - play as normal.
For Dispatches me and Tom have one mulligan a game in playtest to void a catastrophic DR. Your rule for malfunction in playtest intrigues me, I'll talk with Tom about it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played DB083 BLOCK TO BATAAN yesterday as the US/Philippinos.

It is a quick 4.5 Turn tournament sized scenario set in 1941 with the US/Philippine Army trying to delay the Japanese with a roadblock to enable other forces (not reflected in the scenario) to escape to the peninsula of Bataan.

See the AAR here.

von Marwitz

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
N8 and I played "Hey, that ain't a Rok" over the last couple weeks. My North Koreans fairly well shredded the poor Americans.
Noteworthy events included me rolling HOB 3x in one turn. The first two led to disruption which the commissar eventually
cleaned up, but the third was my 9-1 going berserk and taking 3 628 squads with him to their deaths. That was a blow to my
cause, but him breaking all the Ammo Shorted RCLs and generally just not standing up the loads of fire I was able to bring
led to an early concession as the forward and middle groups were already annihilated or nearly so by turn 3. Fun scenario though.
The Amis need to fall back as fast as possible and forget about holding much of anything except the final hill I suspect.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is the first time I’ve ever had that many malf’s in one turn. My opponent, Jim, claims my dice tower is cursed, but only for me.🤣
Just played a game where my opponent malf'd his MA, then firegrouped his MGs and rolled another 12, then two 1s for RS. 3 malfs, one vehicle, one fire phase.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played A135 Acts of Defiance as the defending Russians against Jeff Howell. For the benefit of those who have spent the last few years on Mars, this a late war scenario where a formidable German force comprised of a company of elite paratroopers backed up by a couple of platoons of 1st line Landsers is attacking a pretty decent assortment of mainly elite Russian defenders. Nothing too subtle about the German objective here; they have to eradicate all good order Russian units within a road perimeter on board 20. They are backed up by a nasty looking JagdPz IV with a 75LL gun and a 150mm assault gun. The Russians are supported by three pretty nifty T44s which have the somewhat odd combo of frontal hull armour of 18, an 85mm gun and a small target size{!). On the downside they have the mechanical reliability issues which those of us who use Russian armour on a regular basis know and hate. As if that were not enough to assist the defence, the Russians have an HIP observer directing 120mm artillery with plentiful ammunition.
But there's more! Down on the south side of the battle zone, the Russians will try to reinforce their beleaguered comrades with five 628s and a couple of 120mm assault guns. To do this, they need to cross a canal across one of two bridges. The Germans have a platoon of 838 engineers and a couple of Goliaths to try to hold off these guys.
The Russians have plenty of options when setting up the defence but I opted to defend the eastern side of the perimeter with most of my defending force.

View attachment 28031

The HIP observer started on the first floor of 20DD5 with the intention of calling down death on any Germans that came down the Russian right flank. If all went well, an artillery mission centred around 20BB5 would eventually pulverise any Germans that were using that building as a jump off point for a final assault. The odd placement of squads in BB5 and DD6 is due to the fact that these are manhole locations and the Germans start the scenario with a HIP Hitler Youth HS and a Psk in the sewers that I forgot to mention earlier. I wanted to make it difficult for this to pop up anywhere in the vicinity of my AFVs.

Speaking of AFVs, they had an eventful time. One T44 survived a frontal hit by a Psk (don't often use these words!) but promptly failed its mechanical reliability check and eventually died at the hands of its own artillery as it rained down in 20CC3. Another managed to get behind the wall in 21Y9 to threaten both German AFVs further down the road and nailed the assault gun with an APCR shot before going down in close combat. The third took a critical hit from a PF followed by a dud. It then sailed across to the western side of the perimeter to help surround and break a stack led by the German 9-2 leader with the result that they were all doomed for failure to rout.

In any scenario that features a battery of 120mm artillery, the chances are that the availability or otherwise of that artillery is going to have a very major bearing on the final outcome. So it proved here. My observer gained radio contact on turn one and never lost it. He managed to call down three fire missions. The first was inaccurate but the direction of error took it to a hex adjacent to a German stack. The safest course for this stack would have been so stay in place since the observer couldn't see the base level of the SR or the stack. Jeff wasn't to know this however and the stack scattered into locations that the observer could see with predictably gory consequences. The second fire mission broke up a German assault group that formed in building CC2 while also taking out the immobilized T44 that I mentioned earlier.. The third mission landed an SR in BB5 in Russian turn four as originally planned and Jeff conceded at that point.

Overall, this is a fun scenario but much depends on how effectively the Russians can use their artillery. On this occasion, it couldn't have gone better for them.
Playing this now, same artillery effect so far at end of T2 - not fun for the Germans when it comes in and is accurate.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played a game where my opponent malf'd his MA, then firegrouped his MGs and rolled another 12, then two 1s for RS. 3 malfs, one vehicle, one fire phase.
We played votg14 Pavlovs House at game day yesterday. I played the Russians and my opponent brought 4 Stugs in on turn 1. I unhipped my 45L and killed one with a 3 TK roll. He then proceeded to malf 2 of the 3 MAs in the Afph. On turn 2 the only stug with a functioning MA and one of the malfed one were recalled. The last one with a malfed MA was dispatched by street fighting trying to use a sD. We didn't get to finish but it wasn't looking great for the Russians.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We re-started the playtest, that was cursed by the dice last time. This time, a much more balanced game. Although, so far, there have been a disturbing number of 10s and 11s rolled.
The view, at the top of Turn 3, from my side of the field.