Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Some lessons of Tunisia were best left un-learned........
Don't know it but possibly based upon a Studebaker T27 or less likely the T18 Boarhound. The wheel spacing favours the T27, but I'm just chancing my arm.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Actually designated the A4E3 Vickers light amphib tank, but close enough for a 1/2 point :D
The L1E3 was it's original designation with L for Light Tank. The British at some stage dropped the separate L designation in favour of A (Armoured?) for all AFVs. So you owe Yuri 1/2 point. ;)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1521258582440.png

Everyone took a stab at it and missed it is a T55E1 3" GMC - developed from requirements formed in Dec 1942 after the Kasserine debacle. It mounted a 3" gun capable of APC and HVAP ammunition only (no other types made for it in this gun tube configuration), and a rear arc (well, 270 degree rail mount from 3:00 to 9:00 facings) .50 cal M2 MG with an AA pintle mount (so a 4 FP AAMG with a S/R CA only in ASL terms. Counter back would have that "AAMG: N/A:VCA" annotation.)

Made in response to the PzKpfw IV models and the Tiger I models seeing service in Tunisia in late 42, early 43. It was rejected after trials of the three prototypes showed the M10 and M18 TDs to be better overall vehicles for the role intended. (this guy would be NT - very limited gun traverse).

So 2 points for the stumper and I gotta give 1/2 of one of them to Yuri - net gain 1.5 points for me... :)

Here's the wiki page for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T55E1_Gun_Motor_Carriage

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1521379273068.png

I like this guy - he appeared a better thought out idea than the Lynx. - anyone know if this appears in an ASL counter form already?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Yup, German Vehicle Note 9. Called "Aufklaerer 38(t)" in the notes but was the Aufklärungspanzer 38(t). I don't know if I would describe it as a better thought idea than the Luchs, but it definitely was a more economical vehicle using an obsolete chassis.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1521527934823.png

What you think the caliber of that tube on top is ???? :) WW2 manufacture, never saw combat action in WW2. Did get deployed to Hungary in '56.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Post war!

A BTS, an ARV based on a T-54, could be any of the BTS-1 to BTS-4. I'm inclined to the BTS-4 as it has a snorkel tube mounted. That's the problem with Soviet kit, it might start as a T-54, be converted to a BTS-1, upgraded/rebuilt to BTS-2 and finally to BTS-4. BTS-3 was the Soviet designation of the Czech equivalent, the JVBT.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Post war!

A BTS, an ARV based on a T-54, could be any of the BTS-1 to BTS-4. I'm inclined to the BTS-4 as it has a snorkel tube mounted. That's the problem with Soviet kit, it might start as a T-54, be converted to a BTS-1, upgraded/rebuilt to BTS-2 and finally to BTS-4. BTS-3 was the Soviet designation of the Czech equivalent, the JVBT.
the original design was during the war - from a T-44 modified to a BTS-4-44M which is what this is :) Hull made in Jan of 45, converted to BTS-4-44M in Dec of 45. :D :D . I did a bit of washing on the photo edit to drop out the original ""Google Search" results, which were dead on, and draw up the generic "BTS" result instead.

:D -- ye it is a snorkel.

Status
Not open for further replies.