Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Paul:

This is a from a well known series of photos. I believe from Namur, so definitely the USMC (4th Tanks) and (almost surely) an M4A2.
While the USMC were the only US combat users of the M4A2 due to the use of Diesel that was also used in smaller craft, they did also use M4A3 later in the war. I suppose a combination of competition with Lend Lease (esp. Soviets) requirements and the fact that by then they would have operated alongside Army units which used M4/M4A1/M4A3 which reduced the Diesel fuel supply advantage.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While the USMC were the only US combat users of the M4A2 due to the use of Diesel that was also used in smaller craft, they did also use M4A3 later in the war. I suppose a combination of competition with Lend Lease (esp. Soviets) requirements and the fact that by then they would have operated alongside Army units which used M4/M4A1/M4A3 which reduced the Diesel fuel supply advantage.
I always think of Iwo as the first use of the M4A3 by the USMC, but this probably oversimplifies things - I haven't pulled out Estes or Gilbert in several years now. I believe that the USMC intended to switch to the 105mm M4A3, exclusively, for the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
USMC PVC N.E. Carling in front of an M4A2 tank named Killer. It has a Type 94 TE KE tank on its back deck. Photo taken Kwajalein, Marshall Islands, 2 Feb 1944. Killer seems to have wooden planks added to the sides.

:)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I always think of Iwo as the first use of the M4A3 by the USMC, but this probably oversimplifies things - I haven't pulled out Estes or Gilbert in several years now. I believe that the USMC intended to switch to the 105mm M4A3, exclusively, for the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.
I have little knowledge as to when the USMC started using non-M4A2 M4s. A thread here from a few years ago first alerted me to that. I have little doubt that you have a better handle on the matter than I. That thread also covered what would be the rule effects of the wood and concrete "armour". My suggestion was that it would have little effects on projectiles, at least ≥20mm, but a significant advantage in CC, especially when faced by DC and ATMM.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have little knowledge as to when the USMC started using non-M4A2 M4s. A thread here from a few years ago first alerted me to that. I have little doubt that you have a better handle on the matter than I. That thread also covered what would be the rule effects of the wood and concrete "armour". My suggestion was that it would have little effects on projectiles, at least ≥20mm, but a significant advantage in CC, especially when faced by DC and ATMM.
Though this is getting outside what I know too much about, I agree with your assessment (I've read in numerous secondary sources that sandbag and cement armor had no real effect against AP rounds, but I'm not sure that these authors typically have any more qualifications to make these pronouncements than I do). The primary fear of USMC tankers was, I believe, shaped charge placed munitions (though Japanese AT weapons could penetrate the M4 mediums, and the 47mm even from the front). There are many photos of USMC tanks with "cages" welded over the hatches or large "nails" welded on top of the hatches intended to defeat shaped charge weapons (by preventing attachement of magnetic mines and giving more stand off distance). As a manifestation of the culture of lower unit initiative in the USMC, there was a much wider range of field expedient enhancements than are often seen in Army usage, just as the variability of unit markings seen in USMC tanks (though, of course, cement and sandbags were widely used in the ETO).

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though this is getting outside what I know too much about, I agree with your assessment (I've read in numerous secondary sources that sandbag and cement armor had no real effect against AP rounds, but I'm not sure that these authors typically have any more qualifications to make these pronouncements than I do). The primary fear of USMC tankers was, I believe, the shaped charge placed munitions (though Japanese AT weapons could penetrate the M4 mediums, and the 47mm even from the front). There are many photos of USMC tanks with "cages" welded over the hatches or large "nails" welded on top of the hatches intended to defeat shaped charge weapons (by preventing attachment of magnetic mines and giving more stand-off distance). As a manifestation of the culture of lower unit initiative in the USMC, there was a much wider range of field expedient enhancements that are often seen in Army usage, just as the variability of unit markings seen in USMC tanks (though, of course, cement and sandbags were widely used in the ETO).
improvised anti-SCW armor was not a purely American invention. By April 1945, nearly every Russian AFV crossing the Oder was outfitted with bed mattress springs welded will - nilly to all side and rear surfaces. These were used to interrupt the flight path of an SCW coming in before impact, causing (it was hoped) either a premature detonation or at worst, a glancing blow at a severe angle to the armor face.

In the same quite famous series of M4A2 photos. there are a pair showing USMC M4A2s knocked out by Japanese 47mm guns, one with a hit right through the wood plank/cement armor and into the lower hull just above the track return rollers. So I agree the effects vs standard AP shot would be minimal at best.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Unfortunately the thread I was thinking about disappeared in the previous GS update.

Further thinking and remembering about what I suggested was roughly:

M4 PTO add on armour (wood, cement, PSP, etc) has no effect on ordnance TH/TK. It does affect CC, giving a +1 DRM to a CCV attack and reducing any ATMM DRM to half (FRD) its normal value. A DC Placement DR incurs a +1 DRM (or possibly a +2).

So -1 ATMM have no effect and -2/-3 ATMM reduce to -1 ATMM and CCV effectively loses a point. A DC still works as advertised but is harder to place. MOL, FT, guns, no effect. A .50" MG could chew through such armour like a dog with a slipper.

I would ignore such armour (PTO/ETO) for SCW purposes. Sometimes it provided an even more optimal stand off distance, increasing effectiveness, sometimes a less optimal distance. A bit of a craps shoot. One of the few comments I read of Soviet tests was that the bedspring armour was practically worthless other than as a psychological boost. If such improvised armour, whether bedspring, sandbags or rabbit's foot saved 1 tank then everyone around would try it, anything better than nothing, in their minds.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A .50" MG could chew through such armour like a dog with a slipper.
As a former heavy machine gun guy in the USMC, a hearty amen, sir!

Thank you for sifting through your memories for the effects of such supplemental armor in terms of ASL. Though I'm only a novice player, this seems to feel about right to me.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a whole slew of SSRs for possible effects of improvised armor add-ons came with Time on Target long ago - pretty much boiled down to lengthy SSRs to cause similar effects as Paul gave, with a bit of additional benefit for sandbag stacked armor giving AFV Riders some IFT direct fire cover (currently they get none, but suffer no FFMO/FFNAM, either)- and so on. Worth a look if you are thinking about how to model improvised armor in ASL.

As for being the poor chap in the tank, anything that you think is gonna even the odds when something capable of killing you and your tank is shooting at you, its gonna be used. Marines, especially enjoy improvising and adapting damn near anything.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As a former heavy machine gun guy in the USMC, a hearty amen, sir!

Thank you for sifting through your memories for the effects of such supplemental armor in terms of ASL. Though I'm only a novice player, this seems to feel about right to me.
My knowledge (and often simply impressions) is second, third or fourth hand at very best. So comments from practitioners, professionals or otherwise, are always welcome, even if they flatly contradict what I thought or said. First hand knowledge beats all and data is still data. Never be afraid to jump on a wrong statement, we are all here to learn and might as well get the best while we are at it.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WRT Diesel fueled M4A2's, and other diesel fueled engines - the USN (where the Marines must get their rolling and seaborne stock from- it was a harder process then than now)- has copious supply chains, and did since the invention of the "Fleet Train" for all grades of diesel fuel and bunker oils. Using an engine capable of burning either (or nowadays, as the M1 series Abrams can - aviation jet fuels); makes supply to the front from the sea an easier task overall. You find a much larger percentage of low grade fueled vehicles in the USN/USMC inventory, from WW2 on, than is similar in many (but not all) US Army units, which relied (and still do - witness MPS ships) on cargo shipping for supply, vice assault shipping.

One thing that came up recently in a group session was that really there is only so much space on the helo, KC-130, or LCAC to begin with. So most units in the field, be they Army, Marine, or Air Force - use this to their advantage when streamlining what is going to ship vs what is not (at least on the initial loads into a combat area.)

The logistics overall concepts have changed little since first formalized by Quantico under HM Smith's research team in the late 1930's. Differences in weaponry design and new capability for VertRep operations via helo have come about, but the logistical tail follows the same basic pattern: bullets, beans, blankets, bandages, in that order, from shipping to a combat area.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My knowledge (and often simply impressions) is second, third or fourth hand at very best. So comments from practitioners, professionals or otherwise, are always welcome, even if they flatly contradict what I thought or said. First hand knowledge beats all and data is still data. Never be afraid to jump on a wrong statement, we are all here to learn and might as well get the best while we are at it.
Paul, I know almost nothing compared with the knowledge that you have - I have tremendous respect for what you know and your willingness to share it.

As for the .50 cal, it's been a couple of decades but my recollection is that armor piercing .50 cal ammunition will penetrate about 1.5" to 2" of homogeneous steel at 200 meters and 0 degrees obliquity (my TMs are stowed somewhere in the attic, so not at hand). Against cinder block or brick (and certainly wood), it will chew them up like a dog with a slipper (somehow that sounds familiar :D). You can also accurately shoot indirect fire with the .50cal out to a range of several miles (with the consequent plunging fire). It's a truly awesome weapon (there's a reason that the design is not significantly changed since the First World War).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the add-on armor "upgrade" (effective or not), it was/is quite common as a field expedient method to at least reassure the crewman. Even in Viet Nam the 11th Amd Cav (for one at least), used to put chicken wire cages around their tanks and APCs to intercept RPG/BR-40 rockets. Whether it was effective or not is truly academic as the crewmen BELIEVED it was effective (perception being reality).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the add-on armor "upgrade" (effective or not), it was/is quite common as a field expedient method to at least reassure the crewman. Even in Viet Nam the 11th Amd Cav (for one at least), used to put chicken wire cages around their tanks and APCs to intercept RPG/BR-40 rockets. Whether it was effective or not is truly academic as the crewmen BELIEVED it was effective (perception being reality).
Still appears to be a live issue. The 1980's saw reactive armor invented - now we have BAE system's "LROD" aluminum anti HEAT grating. Still, even BAE says their test runs on Strykers allow upwards of 50% effective hits on the test vehicle from all samples of HEAT warheads.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still appears to be a live issue. The 1980's saw reactive armor invented - now we have BAE system's "LROD" aluminum anti HEAT grating. Still, even BAE says their test runs on Strykers allow upwards of 50% effective hits on the test vehicle from all samples of HEAT warheads.
Yeah, I've seen some Strykers with some pretty bad hits but hard to say if they were from RPGs or IEDs. We did hear of a double warhead RPG round, but normally the ones we were hit with had the percussion tip removed for a detonation device for IEDs and were just inert peices of metal flying at you most of the time (but not all of the time).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I've seen some Strykers with some pretty bad hits but hard to say if they were from RPGs or IEDs. We did hear of a double warhead RPG round, but normally the ones we were hit with had the percussion tip removed for a detonation device for IEDs and were just inert peices of metal flying at you most of the time (but not all of the time).
even a 50% reduction in effective contact hits is something a tanker would be very pleased to have in place on his AFV. Beats the heck out of 100% that achieve making a hit actually connecting with full force. :)

As for ma deuce's yepper. Our standard line in Somalia was the .50 SLAP round from our XM-218's could shoot through schools, churches, engine blocks and apartments in a single burst. Still, anything worth a burst of .50 cal was always worth 3 or 5 more just to make sure it quit moving.....ammo is cheap.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for ma deuce's yepper. Our standard line in Somalia was the .50 SLAP round from our XM-218's could shoot through schools, churches, engine blocks and apartments in a single burst. Still, anything worth a burst of .50 cal was always worth 3 or 5 more just to make sure it quit moving.....ammo is cheap.

Reminds me of a story my dad and friends used to tell after a few brewskies. From what I remember he and a buddy were on Leyte and came across two Japanese washing cloths in a stream. My dad's buddy "Dutch" took aim with a carbine and let fly with about 3 or 4 rounds without any effect. My dad, "Indian" by nickname, chided him for wasting taxpayers money as he brought up his Garand and dispatched the Japanese with two well aimed shots as they ran away. Ammo is cheap (well it used to be), but the poor taxpayers got it rough. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.