First Wave at Omaha

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not sure counter battery fire would have been realistic. The fire plan was pretty well set out and contained suppressing fire. Would it have had counter battery too?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The NOBA was too strong.
I would recommend increasing the blast radius and decreasing the fire table/heavy payload DRM. I can't remember off the top of my head if the battleships were 14" or 16" armed (I'd guess 14"--an awesome tube in its day), so I would suggest getting rid of the -3 Heavy Payload DRM, but give them a harassing fire blast radius. For the CAs, I'd just SSR that they can and must use harassing fire.

I actually thought that the big guns weren't directed onto the beaches after the first wave went in and it was the destroyers that provided the close support, but it ain't my area of study.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, you had commented that "Yes we are playing with the Omaha East and West consolidated rules" - could you please comment on how you are finding those rules help/ease play of a single scenario such as this? thanks!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, you had commented that "Yes we are playing with the Omaha East and West consolidated rules" - could you please comment on how you are finding those rules help/ease play of a single scenario such as this? thanks!
I'm sure John could write up a consolidated set of comments, but what I would recommend as a starting point is reading the article that John Hyler and Allen King wrote in issue 20.1 of Banzai!! ( http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai20_1.pdf ) where they lay out in a lot of detail what they tweaked with the rules and their justifications. These were done with the big 'campaign' scenario, so not sure how applicable they would be to an individual, smaller scenario. Again, John might be able to answer that better.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
We are just on turn 2 so we have very little experience.
We are playing only the Omaha East part of the module, I ordered the other but the order is still pending.

On that part of the beach as far as I have read most of the tanks were able to disembark from the LCs.

This is the list of the first 6 LC with 4 tanks each:
1) Reached the beach and landed a tank, with minimal damage 1DP.
2) Had first tank immobilized by a 81MTR, the first in the row and after beaching ha to ditch it.
3) Got a direct hit from the 88 on the second Sherman turning it into a burning wreck, after that was able to land the first Sherman in the row which was burned by the 88 on the first beach hex.
4) same as number 3...
5) Got the third tank in the stack destroyed but not burned and went TI when it tried to beach.
6) Got multiple hit from various guns/Mtr and is in flames but managed to reach the beach and unload a tank. (6DP so far)

So, four tank destroyed on the LCs, another four unable to land because they are below the burning wrecks in the stacks and two destroyed on the beach (10 out of 24 ooc).

The NOBA got 4 black chit, Texas BB is shooting on Pointe de la percee and neutralized a gun for 1 turn, the DD and LC manage to break an infantry in a stone building and reduce it.
All that is in a bunker or pillbox (+6 or more) seems to be pretty safe but probably you are right that NOBA is a bit too responsive and present.
Historically from what I know on Omaha after the landing the ships started shooting on target inland, so probably counter battery is a better choice.
I like the ammo depot rule and the new covered ark for that hellish bunker with the turret and 50 gun.

The flowcharts are fantastic and a big help in learning to land.
Also many corrections of the original rules are fantastic.

I'll tell you more once we get more play experience.
Thanks for your work

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks very interesting. One thing, I see your OE is the original with the paper map. If you ordered the newest version of OW, you will receive the map panel version. Good news: bigger hexes and nice color. Bad news: ALOT of map panels to keep together. I have both but have never played the monster scenarios. To setup the OE/OW monster campaign the amount of map panels is staggering. Keep posting your results, once I'm retired I'm looking to tackle this one. If you look on the CH website in their forums one member posted a revised landing schedule he researched. Just do a search for Omaha.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
On Friday we managed to play the German 2nd turn and American 3rd.
Well the first wave of infantry reached the shore and it was not nice.
Our special guest Francesco who was rolling for the German never lost rate with HMG until there was almost no American on the beach.
In the western part of Omaha the rangers were wiped out, all except for an half squad and a wounded leader.
The infantry suffered the same fate, I think that of the 20 squad that reached the shore we have 1 squad and a half on the beach, 3 more wading the rest is gone.
Terrible
All started when the tank that had to place smoke to cover the landing broke the MA.
Omaha 3rd Turn disaster.jpg

The American sniper was able to brake a couple of HMG crew, but only after the damage was already done and some LC shooting in the afph broke completely a nice stack of Germans, the best leader on the map, a 9-2 with a squad with a MMG and a squad with a LMG.
The 88 was useless, but the 47L aprc managed to kill another Sherman.
One of the last LCA coming ashore in RR8 was hit by the 75 gun turret in the hull and the resulting die roll of 3 on the effect managed to inflict 3DP on in immobilizing the LC and killing more and more soldiers on board (you keep the same roll for the collateral).
more to follow....

Last edited:

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Meanwhile in the central part of the map, the tank landing is going well, almost.

All seems quiet here.jpg

Of the six LC landing here, each with three Sherman on board, four were able to land safely since the Germans are too busy shooting at the two gaps to try to stop them.
One swamped and is now fast aground, I have to check what happens to the tanks carried by it.
I think they have to unload in LC hex and since they are DD thanks should be able to get ashore, but all depends if they have the amphibious landing screens up. If not they would be instantly immobilized by the heavy surf condition. (I checked this out and since the DD were coming from off board they are waterproof even if carried by a LC and no screen raised)
The last one rolled a 10 on the beaching attempt and went TI so no landing this turn.
The four landing tank are getting ready to smoke the WNs guns and MGs, one of them bogged.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Excellent AAR. Great photos too. Concerning the infantry - I think Omaha was actually like that in real life.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lot's of cool counters in that mix! Bangalores, Weapons pits... What other esoterica does it come with?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far an excellent AAR. Very tough situation the Americans are in but in real life they where in the same situation too. Like Red Barricades, you take lumps and just keep plowing forward.

Scott

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't make it past turn 2 before I failed my personal morale check playing as the Americans.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
In front of Les Moulins things went slightly better!
Two thirds of the infantry that unloaded survived and moved across the beach, we made an error, I was tired and I forgot to take off 50% of MF for the unloading infantry, this will be easily corrected since they took fire only in the first couple of hexes, they should be two hexes behind the line they reached. One LC rolled 10 on the beaching dire roll and went TI. Another one was still far off coast after the crew failed a morale check in the 2nd turn, they got closer to the beach.
A stack of infantry unloaded from their wrecked LC and advanced on the beach.
The German turn will be tough but there is a little hope of reaching the seawall, with a decent force. A Destroyer is giving some support by targeting the gun on the first hinterland hex.

Les Moulins 3rd American.jpg

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Ohhh we have many,
upload_2017-3-24_18-45-1.png
TOBRUK/PANZERSTELLUNG: Two additional type of new Pillbox counters have been provided, to represent ‘Tobruk’ and ‘Panzerstellung’ emplacements. Both of these Pillbox types have a HS stacking limit.
TARGET SIZE: To simulate the difficulty in picking out units in Tobruk and Panzerstellung Pillboxes, a Target Size (C6.7) DRM of +2 is applied in addition to any Cupola or ⅝" MTR Target Size DRM.
COUNTER LIMITS: A Tobruk may only contain SW, as signified by the "SW" notation on the counter, with one exception: ⅝" MTR counters may also set up within. The solid ring around the "SW" notation indicates that the LOS of SW beneath the Tobruk is not restricted in any portion of their CA (i.e., their Field-of-Fire is 360°).

upload_2017-3-24_18-46-41.pngBLOCKHOUSE: A Blockhouse is a new Pillbox type representing both observation posts and shelter bunkers. All Pillbox (B30.) rules apply to Blockhouses except as modified below. Place the units IN a Blockhouse in the corresponding boxes on the German WN Contents Play Aid cards or use Cloaking display boxes.
INHERENT TUNNELS: Blockhouses automatically receive two inherent tunnels (B8.6). A Blockhouse may be entered through one of its inherent tunnels, as per B8.6 (note that such a tunnel entrance may exist in an Open Ground hex), or from an ADJACENT Trench at a cost of one MF. If a tunnel entrance is in open ground and does not connect to a Trench/Casemate/Weapons Pit/Pillbox and is in the LOS of an Good Order enemy unit at the time it is used, it is automatically revealed. This tunnel may be destroyed by any ground unit that ends its MPh in the hex, or during the PFPh at no cost to the unit that destroys the entrance (i.e., unit may fire inherent/SW normally). Note: Destroying a tunnel is a Concealment Loss activity (see Note C of the A12.121 divider).
STACKING: A Blockhouse is a separate in-hex location and has a stacking capacity of 3 squads/equivalents, 4 SMC and 15 PP.
CA/NCA TEM AND LOS: A Blockhouse has a CA/NCA TEM of +7. All attacks (EXC: CC) are treated as a Pillbox being attacked outside its CA. Units inside a Blockhouse may not attack in any manner and have no effect on routing units. A unit IN a Blockhouse does have an LOS outside when Possessing a radio/phone and may function as a normal Observer (C1.6) with a 360 degree LOS.

upload_2017-3-24_18-48-16.pngVF01 PILLBOX CUPOLA: The 75* cupola on this pillbox has a restricted CA consisting of the three contiguous hexsides that do NOT contain CA arrows. The cupola may not fire/be fired upon from outside its CA.

upload_2017-3-24_18-48-52.pngH677/H667 RESTRICTED PILLBOX CA: Pillboxes like the H677 have a restricted CA. Refer to the H677 Pillbox Diagram for hexes that lie within the hexspine portion of the CA. The restricted CA depicted applies to H677 and H667 Pillboxes, noting that two versions of these Pillbox counters are provided to cover both sides of the CA; either may be included in the OB of a scenario at the owning player’s choice.

upload_2017-3-24_18-49-24.pngKETTLE WEAPONS PITS: These represent open concrete gun emplacements that were used in fortified areas in lieu of casemates or pillboxes along the Atlantic Wall. Weapons Pit counters are included in the FIRST WAVE AT OMAHA counter-mix. A Weapons Pit is a separate Location within a hex. A Weapons Pit may be located in any terrain that can accommodate a pillbox, but may not be placed in a hex that contains any other fortifications (EXC: wire, mines).
ORIENTATION: A Weapons Pit counter is oriented with an entry hexside (thick black bar on the counter) aligned with a particular hexside. This hexside has no bearing on CA, and only affects entry.
A Weapons Pit has a stacking capacity of one Gun and its crew and one additional squad/equivalent and 10 PP [EXC: another Gun and crew are NA].
TEM: A Weapons Pit has a TEM of +2 vs. direct fire and +3 vs. NOBA/OBA/Overrun. A vehicle IN a Weapons Pit is HD to all fire (including across the entry hexside), but D4.2 applies.
GUNS: A Gun in a Weapons Pit may change its covered arc in any direction even if it is restricted by RFNM or NM. Guns that are normally allowed to pivot, have a maximum pivot DRM of +2 for the first hexspine (EXC: if they are RFNM or NM the maximum DRM is +3).

And these are our friends the various LC
upload_2017-3-24_18-51-1.png

These are just various type of thetrahedons, less deadly because if you roll AB attack it happens only on a 1 or 1-2 in a subsequent die roll, it depends on the type.
upload_2017-3-24_18-55-9.png

The different lines will get used when the tide comes in, one level every 9 turns.
They also negate open ground.

This is an AT ditch
upload_2017-3-24_18-57-6.png

One thing to note is that all the beach is at the same level, the different shade of the sand is only used for the tide level. And also since the beach slope is slight the first level of the hinterland is at the same level of the beach.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bene!

What does the "T" on the Panzerstellung counter mean, and what can you put inside this pillbox (aside from a HS)?

Grazie.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
You can put a Tank turret as a cupola, there are two type in FWaO, one is a 37* from a french tank and the other is a PzIV 75*