First Wave at Omaha

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
A little step forward,

we were able to play the German 3rd turn and almost all of the American 4th mph.
Thanks to all the smoke things are going a little better for the GI.
The German keep killing tanks and infantry but at a slower pace.

The American sniper killed one of the broken HMG crew and a WP critical hit on a trench killed another crew and leader (8-0), the 50L AT gun crew in front of Les Moulins broke on a HE direct hit from a Sherman gun.
The Texas BB was able to destroy a MTR81 on Pointe de la Percee so not bad after all.
Vierville Amy4th.jpg

In the middle a new wave of troops is heading for the beach, with covering smoke there is hope...
In the middle turn 4.jpg

In Les Moulins maybe someone will reach the seawall but they wont be able to get further.
a hero was generated on a 3MC and is promptly given a Flamethrower.
Le Moulins turn 4.jpg
Tomorrow we play more of this, can't wait

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Looks and sounds terrifically exciting.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It is,
but in reality a strange experience because it is more an experience than a scenario.
You don't mind who wins or how you play you are a sort of spectator to this incredible assault.
You watch things happening, most of the time with horror, seeing ten's of squads vanish on the beach.
You stand there with your LCA beached, and you know you have to unload on that beach hex in stack and not using AM and is under fire from 2 or 3 HMG, a couple of squads and guns.

When first setup, I placed the LCT with the Shermans, the first to land, and I felt sorry thinking of those poor tankers that did that on June 6. This is something that rarely happen in wargames.

Maybe I've just read too much on the subject...

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

No; your reading perfectly into the subject matter. D-Day was a very difficult battle for the American forces and CH Omaha goes a long way to represent that battle in all its brutal glory. I personally don't think I could sit at the table and play such a CG or scenario due to the static nature of the battle, but I do appreciate your efforts on posting your AAR on the subject.

Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think one interesting thing with the swinginess of dice hits is that it captures the individual heroics on Omaha Beach. I'm not an expert but it seemed like that was a battle where the tide really turned on some individuals getting lucky and making critical breaks in the German lines

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stirring up my PTSD from having six months of playtesting just this one scenario. Excellent AAR and accurate in detail to my experiences. Thanks for posting it!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Stirring up my PTSD from having six months of playtesting just this one scenario. Excellent AAR and accurate in detail to my experiences. Thanks for posting it!
So who says CH don't playtest anything? ;)

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Even if they don't playtest much I don't care as long as they go on giving us such fantastic settings as Omaha, Berlin and Tarawa.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Even if they don't playtest much I don't care as long as they go on giving us such fantastic settings as Omaha, Berlin and Tarawa.
Exactly. Those products were not designed by CH, they were designed by other ASLers. CH just published them. I'm always interested in other ASLers ideas!

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
So finally I got Bloody Omaha East from CH and we added the second part of the beach to our running game.
We decided to catch up play (4 turns so far) on this new part and then continue with all the big game.

IMG-20170407-WA0002franco.jpg

The Good thing is that the Panel composition of Bloody Omaha east and west are 100% compatible with the old First wave at Omaha. Also the assembly of the panel is very simple, a lot of overlapping but easy to do.

Nice close up of TT63.jpg

From TT63 a gun could shoot all the way to the other side of the beach, it is a lvl 7 hex.

IMG-20170407-WA0003franco.jpg

a view from Pointe de la Percee (West side)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish I had somebody to set that up with and play locally.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I wish I had somebody to set that up with and play locally.
Do you even have the space? If I was to set that up I would have to do it on the living room floor on huge boards. Since I'm staying with my parents they would not be too happy. lol.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My parents are dead so I'm cool. ;)

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am so glad you guys are enjoying this. I faced Dave in the six month playtest of this monster. It was tough to be the Americans. Enjoy reading this AAR.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly. Those products were not designed by CH, they were designed by other ASLers. CH just published them. I'm always interested in other ASLers ideas!
That's such meaningless and untrue garbage.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That's such meaningless and untrue garbage.
Are you sure CH don't get submissions from other designers? A lot of the early stuff was not Ray's designs. Not sure how it is these days.