First Wave at Omaha

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
We started the adventure of landing on Omaha beach.
We are three players and it will be a cooperative landing, we all play the Americans and roll for the German in turn.

First evening was tough even if there are little forces on map, alot to learn and many flowchart to understand.

The 88 Gun was deadly, it kept rof alot and burned 3 sherman DD, the bad news is that those shermans were first or second in the stack of the LC so a least 9-10 shermans will not be able to land, and this is just the first turn of the game.

The Destroyers and Battleships were able to put the SR in place and starting from second turn we will see some NOBA affecting the Germans.

Our landing strategy
We decided to move three hexes forward with the LC and get another hex forward by drifting so that in the next American Mph we will be one hex from the beach and we will be able to move forward one hex by expending 1MP (+1MP for beaching) and then after the swamping roll (only 12 cause trouble) have a single beaching roll (8 or less to beach successfully).
If both are successful with another 3 MP unload a tank on the beach.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Are you using any modification to the CH or MMP rules? I have only played small scenarios on these maps. Personally, I don't mind playing the Germans as I like to roll dice and am addicted to gambling (or so I think).

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Yes we are playing with the Omaha East and West consolidated rules taken from the Texas Team Tournament written by John E. Hyler, I think.
We are playing just the "Black Day for the 116th" scenario.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, that's the full map with the kitchen sink thrown in. Anyway, look forward to reading your AAR on the Omaha scenario you are playing.

Scott

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 88 Gun was deadly, it kept rof alot and burned 3 sherman DD, the bad news is that those shermans were first or second in the stack of the LC so a least 9-10 shermans will not be able to land, and this is just the first turn of the game.
Can you push the wreck out of the way? NASLRBH, so maybe it is NA on an LC.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
The problem is that only a beached/immobilized LC gives smoke cover and drifting smoke, but I think an LC with a burning wreck, first in the stack will be recalled. So if the LC is not destroyed in shallow water it will be recalled.

See the rule
14.232 RECALL: Each LC/amphibian with a Passenger capacity is immediately Recalled when no Passenger unit capable of unloading by itself is aboard it. All Passenger units aboard each ATTACKER amphibian that begins the MPh in a Hinterland hex must take one combined TC at some point (of the owning player's choice) in that MPh [EXC: they must take it while in a Hinterland hex]. This Passenger TC is taken even if the amphibian is TI/Shocked/Stunned etc.; and is resolved as a single NTC (Δ) for all Passengers aboard that amphibian, using the highest current Morale Level among them (and basing that Morale Level on their Good Order side unless all of those Passengers are broken). If that NTC is failed, the amphibian is immediately Recalled. The Recall of an already-immobilized LC/amphibian has no effect [EXC: the Inherent crew of such an armored amphibian must Abandon (and cannot re-enter) it; D5.341]. Recall as per G14.232 can apply to an amphibian carrying ≥ one Passenger unit even if it is unarmored (and thus is not an AFV; D1.2), or is BU, and/or has an Inherent Driver.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The vehicles may not be able to unload, but the PRC of the vehicles could still unload

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The vehicles may not be able to unload, but the PRC of the vehicles could still unload
My thoughts exactly, abandon one of the other tanks (assuming no infantry on board), and you have a passenger that could go over the side in shallow water allowing the LC to be a smoke machine.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Are you sure it can be done?
I see this rule

G12.124 ACTIONS: Aside from (un)loading (G12.4-G12.421; G12.45), the only actions allowed by LC Passengers are MC/TC resolution (Δ; G12.13), unhooking of Guns (G12.42), wreck removal (G12.43), and SW Transfer/Recovery.

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Here is the situation at the end of the German Prep fire of 2nd turn.
WP_20170307_017.jpg WP_20170307_025.jpg WP_20170307_026.jpg WP_20170307_029.jpg
On Dog Green and Dog White the first couple of tanks unloaded were burned up by the 88 Gun, creating a nice smoke screen.
Some rangers were killed by the Pointe de la Percee guns. Also many LC are blazing so as long as they are beached they generate more smoke.
An LCA carrying infantry was destroyed in shallow water bu overall not so many infrantry loss.
The NOBA managed to CR a German 2nd line in a stone building. One of the tanks on an LC on the western side had to be removed since it was immobilized.
The second group of tanks, including the dozers are landing in front of Hamel au Pretre unscated so far, too many targets for the Germans.
In front of Les Moulins the poor LCVP carrying a company of infantry suffered the most. One LCVP was sunk in Deep Ocean. and another was destroyed in shallow water with many casualty among the troops being carried.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Its been a while since it was released. You might find one on eBay.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought this and admit I have not played the big game yet. But I tried 1 or 2 of the scenarios and they were quite unbalanced.

shoefly56

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes we are playing with the Omaha East and West consolidated rules taken from the Texas Team Tournament written by John E. Hyler, I think.
We are playing just the "Black Day for the 116th" scenario.
Hi Guys! I am the author of the consolidated rules that you are using. I am interested in your thoughts as you play. With a game of this size, it is impossible to extensively play-test any rules revisions, so any observations or insights that you have are welcome. Here are some thoughts from me and the others who participated in last year's playing at the Texas Team Tournament: The NOBA was too strong. The American BB and CA NOBA fire was rubbling the German positions easily and too quickly. During game play, we dropped the number of black cards in the NOBA decks from 4 (NRBH, but I think that is correct) to 2. Also, we felt that way too many AFVs were on the beach. Historically, most of the AFVs in the first wave were disembarked in DD mode well off shore and had to swim in, with most being lost. I am working on a rules tweak to this. We felt that each German OBA module except the rocket OBA should be allowed a preregistered hex. Lastly, I neglected to create rules for counterbattery NOBA fire against the German OBA. What do you think about this? Thank you, John