National Contributions to ASL

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
We try not to be the best at everything so we don't usually write ASL articles.. We have to leave some open space for normal minds.. You know.... :smoke:

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think tournaments are the life blood of games in general, and newsletters and forums are the veins

the constant refinement of rules understandings along with new scenarios and HASL keeps the game alive

its seems many countries have contributed to the above, with the advent of VASL the only real restriction to ASL is if someone doesn't speak English their potential games are reduced rather than stopped so the countries themselves become far less relevant IMHO

maybe if you were able to do a poll on most read newsletter and most regularly attended competitions outside of the USA you would most likely find it to be the UK ones

however the ASL community in the UK is still small

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
LFT in terms of producing brilliant magazines and scenarios along with very very good HASL would make France a strong contender for most useful ASL contributor outside of USA but with the CANUCK regular updates and great mini CG's along with regular scenarios would make them a strong contender to the French

But as the Canadians still have the Queen on their money maybe the UK could tagg on to them for a straight win? :D

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The IIFT was crafted by J. Kaufmann (a German origin name) which I suspect i an American.
I was misinfformed by the internet. How could that happen?
I'll withdraw my suggestions. Who knows where Friendly Fire comes from? it could be anywhere!

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
There also is a French translation, but few French speaking players actually use it.
The fact that the rules are quite complex draws people with some intellectual level - and many educated people have learned English as a second language.
So I am not sure that many more French speaking gamers would exist because of the French translation.
I do not know if and how I helped the hobby, but surely the hobby helped me to learn a little of English.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not know if and how I helped the hobby, but surely the hobby helped me to learn a little of English.
Now is that English-English or the language of ASLRB...American-English...:bite: :devious:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Its American-English, British-English, Irish-English and Scottish-English, but of course.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello, everybody. Advanced Squad Leader was designed and published in the United States, and the bulk of ASL players reside in the United States. :clap:

However, from the earliest days of ASL, people from other countries have played a significant role in the development of ASL and the development of the ASL community. It is safe to say that ASL today would be substantially poorer were it not for the wonderful international ASL scene. :clap:

So my question to you is, aside from the U.S., which country has contributed the most to ASL?
A more interesting question might be why there is no TPP in the UK. My apologies to Pete Phillipps, but as the fifth largest English-speaking country in the world, one might have expected such a vibrant ASL community to have spawned a major ASL publisher the likes of HOB, BFP, or LFT. Sweden ranks 24th, well below Nepal (and South Africa), even below Spain. Yet, this Scandinavian country now boasts three annual ASL tourneys. What gives? Finland is just below New Zealand on the scale of English-speaking populations. Yet Finland arguably has a more active ASL community than the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Is there a gaming culture in some countries that is more attracted to ASL than other wargames? Language doesn't seem to be the underlying prerequisite. If it were, I would have expected India to be leading the charge. Indeed, what is MMP doing to increase its market share in India. How many trips has Keith Dalton made to Mumbai?

Participation trophies are all well and fine, for kindergarten. But I don't think they add anything meaningful to our understanding of how and why ASL has become more "international." It's a bit like debating which country has done the second most to promote football, and the World Cup. Has Hungary done any less than Uruguay? Does it really matter?

Perhaps the real question should be: what can we do to foster the growth of ASL worldwide? Should, for example, MMP start by hiring a consultant to determine which countries or regions are most amenable to The Game. Then follow this up by producing Starter Kits in Urdu, or Tagalog, for instance?

Sorry Mark, but your question, as sincere as it may be, may strike some as a bit condescending. I think most would pass on a prize for also-ran. Moreover, in the global village, I am not sure that nation states, ethnic or linguistic groups, what have you, need claim credit for the efforts of likeminded individuals who share an enthusiasm for ASL.

Many people from many countries have contributed to ASL over the decades. In fact, a number of AH and MMP publications were largely the work of designers outside the US. But to credit Belgium or francophones for the success of KGP, for example, seems a bit silly. LFT is currently run by a closet Spaniard. Does that make LFT less French, more European, or just another great option for the ASL aficionado?

Keep up the fine work on your revamped website. To my surprise, the new orange is the new black. ;)

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is a baby Gurkha called a Gherkin?
No silly.

A "pickled" Gurkha is a Gherkin, but only in Blighty and the Antipodes.

Despite their small stature, they can hold their drink, at least the ones I met on their rifle teams.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Mark, but your question, as sincere as it may be, may strike some as a bit condescending. I think most would pass on a prize for also-ran. Moreover, in the global village, I am not sure that nation states, ethnic or linguistic groups, what have you, need claim credit for the efforts of likeminded individuals who share an enthusiasm for ASL.
How on earth was my question "condescending?" Good grief. It was an opportunity for people to brag about ASL in their country.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an example of the forum at its most irritating. People start flamewar and trolling threads all the time, but when someone deliberately starts a lighthearted thread designed to provoke nonflame conversation and discussion, he simply gets insulted.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is an example of the forum at its most irritating. People start flamewar and trolling threads all the time, but when someone deliberately starts a lighthearted thread designed to provoke nonflame conversation and discussion, he simply gets insulted.
Herding cats. It cannot be done.

And people wonder why I'm so obnoxious. It's because you can't heard cats, you can only kick them across the room and hope that the next one you kick lands nearby, thereby forming a pile.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How on earth was my question "condescending?" Good grief. It was an opportunity for people to brag about ASL in their country.
Boast, crow, gloat, bleat if it pleases you. I'll leave the bragging to the experts. ;)

Hmmm... I thought I was encouraging conversation and discussion. Something must have been lost in the translation from foreigner to 'merican. :clown:

A whiff of condescension. A feeling of insult. Our senses must be playing tricks on us.

Herding cats. It cannot be done.

And people wonder why I'm so obnoxious. It's because you can't heard cats, you can only kick them across the room and hope that the next one you kick lands nearby, thereby forming a pile.
Meow

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
As they stormed up the heights the sunlight cast shadows about the their fallen comrades in arms, with crimson rivers flowing underneath their now lifeless bodies, the sharp crack of ole bess penetrates the pour sweat of their lonely frighten thoughts, one by one they fall by the wayside as Musket shot finds it mark, one by one the reapers harvest is sown, and yet the sun shines on.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As they stormed up the heights the sunlight cast shadows about the their fallen comrades in arms, with crimson rivers flowing underneath their now lifeless bodies, the sharp crack of ole bess penetrates the pour sweat of their lonely frighten thoughts, one by one they fall by the wayside as Musket shot finds it mark, one by one the reapers harvest is sown, and yet the sun shines on.
Reading the CH website about the Devil's Den module to the Gettysburg HASL?

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Big (long term dedication) points to Pete. Outside On All Fronts, Rout Report (those kooky DAGGER guys), VFTT was one of the things I picked up and then always looked forward to seeing. Was glad to see it's still around and kickin'.