New members introduce yourself here

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I think you were watching Spencer and I play an Ozerekya breakout scenario last weekend.

And I fully endorse Ian's Starter Kit tip. It's how I learned

Enjoy the rulebook!
Ozerekya Breakout. How was that, just got it, and have been looking forward to trying it out?

Thanks,

Jeff

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ozerekya Breakout. How was that, just got it, and have been looking forward to trying it out?

Thanks,

Jeff
We played OzB2 From America, Tanks, which was a little unsatisfactory. Very, very short - certainly the quickest ASL scenario I've ever played; it was over in 30 minutes or so. Spencer's Russians exited having not fired a shot, my Romanians could only burn one tank, and needed to kill three of them. I know ASL should be a game of manoeuvre, but really... :)

That said, Spencer and I will be playing OzB 3 & OzB 4 as further warm up games - we plan to play the campaign, which looks great :)

ChuckW

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all. Have been away from ASL for the last six years. Was once pretty active in the Columbus, Oh area but a move to Orlando and than New Orleans has kept me away from the game. Finally settled in the New Orleans area and looking to get back into it.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Hello all. Have been away from ASL for the last six years. Was once pretty active in the Columbus, Oh area but a move to Orlando and than New Orleans has kept me away from the game. Finally settled in the New Orleans area and looking to get back into it.
Welcome back, Chuck. I hope you didn't abandon your kit along the way :curse: .

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Chuck, advertise in the opponents wanted section, put New O in the title and you may well get a new play buddy

Ian

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There is an ASLr in the Slidell area.

He posts here often.

pybarrondo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I'm Paul. I'm just getting back into ASL after years away from the game. I started off playing the original Squad Leader series and then when ASL was born, I hopped on for the ride. I had the first edition rules and all of the core modules through Croix de Guerre, with the exception of the PTO modules, when I sold it all off. I'd run out of time to play it, and it was just gathering dust.

Now, of course, I'm rapidly buying it all back, paying much more than I'd like but knowing that the OOP stuff is not getting any cheaper if I wait.

My current collection is Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, For King and Country, Croix de Guerre, Doomed Battalions, and Armies of Oblivion, with Rising Sun on pre-order. I've also managed to pick up a bunch of historical modules: Red Barricades, Pegasus Bridge, Operation Veritable, Operation Watchtower, Valor of the Guards, Festung Budapest and just today a shrinkwrapped copy of A Bridge Too Far, which after all I've shelled out seemed like a bargain at $225. Then there's the odd assortment of action packs and journals. My wife has no idea how much all of this cost, of course. :)

I'm currently acquainting myself with the 2nd Ed. rules after pasting in what seemed like miles of sticky errata. Once I'm up to speed, I might be hunting for VASL playing partners.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi, I'm Paul. I'm just getting back into ASL after years away from the game. I started off playing the original Squad Leader series and then when ASL was born, I hopped on for the ride. I had the first edition rules and all of the core modules through Croix de Guerre, with the exception of the PTO modules, when I sold it all off. I'd run out of time to play it, and it was just gathering dust.

Now, of course, I'm rapidly buying it all back, paying much more than I'd like but knowing that the OOP stuff is not getting any cheaper if I wait.

My current collection is Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, Yanks, For King and Country, Croix de Guerre, Doomed Battalions, and Armies of Oblivion, with Rising Sun on pre-order. I've also managed to pick up a bunch of historical modules: Red Barricades, Pegasus Bridge, Operation Veritable, Operation Watchtower, Valor of the Guards, Festung Budapest and just today a shrinkwrapped copy of A Bridge Too Far, which after all I've shelled out seemed like a bargain at $225. Then there's the odd assortment of action packs and journals. My wife has no idea how much all of this cost, of course. :)

I'm currently acquainting myself with the 2nd Ed. rules after pasting in what seemed like miles of sticky errata. Once I'm up to speed, I might be hunting for VASL playing partners.
Good to see you here Paul, you have no idea how many people come here and say "Just getting back into... sold all my stuff..." and yes you did get A Bridge To Far at a very low price, it goes for about $400 when in shrink.

Don't worry about the rust, pick up a few games, plenty of players are happy to help out as you play

Ian

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hi Paul;

Here comes the sales pitch... :) Please check out the SoCal ASL Club at www.socalasl.com Your being in Corona places you in the center of a number of our monthly Game Days, as well as in close proximity to a few other players. We just had our annual tournament, West Coast Melee, in Irvine two weeks ago...but we will also have our annual Burning Wreck BBQ, usually around August. We have a total of 5 monthly Game Days at different locations throughout the Southern California region as follows

1st Saturday of each month - Gameology in Ontario.
2nd Saturday - "Red Barricades Project" (plus open gaming) at the Knights of Colombus Hall in Anaheim (Lemon St./Harbor Blvd. exit off the 91 Fwy.
3rd Saturday - Emerald Knights Comics & Games in Burbank.
4th Saturday - *TWO* Game Days...one in Escondido in the San Diego area and one in Chatsworth at JJ's Game Lounge.

In addition, in months where there are 5 Saturdays, we plan something...last June we did "ASL Goes to the Range" where a bunch of us went to the gun range and went shooting...there were a lot of WWII firearms that we all fired...This month, on the 30th, the club is taking a field trip to visit the USS Iowa in Port of Los Angeles. In the past, we have taken field trips to the Planes of Fame out at Chino Airport and up to the Bay Area to visit the Littlefield Armor Collection.

On our website, we have a Forums section where you can post Opponents Wanted adds and find players near you (there are actually quite a few in the Inland Empire these days)...I myself live in Fullerton, not far from Corona. We also have a number of players that like to play VASL, and you should be able to find local opponents for either live or PBEM games.

If you decide to join the club, we also have a "club store" where you can purchase MMP products as we are now a vendor for MMP ...if we don't already have it in stock, we can order it for you...and you can tell the club to put you down for a pre-order of pending products. We have to wait longer to recieve product because MMP ships preorders before vendor orders, but the club passing the savings on to us and we save a few $$ in the end when it is all said and done.

In short, we can cover just about any of your ASL needs. Welcome to SoCal ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There are several ASL players in California.

Drow is up near SF and his close family is also discovering how to play ASL with him (Nicky is a breathe of fresh air here on the GS Forums).

Also, Chris Olden might be near you.

Try here: http://74.7.72.131/cgi-bin/oecgi.exe/Inet_SC_ASL_Scenario_Main?NEXT_SECTION=TACTIQUES

The SoCal ASL website might help you out with some scenarios and player information locally.

Welcome back and enjoy.....

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Paul;

Here comes the sales pitch... :) Please check out the SoCal ASL Club at www.socalasl.com Your being in Corona places you in the center of a number of our monthly Game Days, as well as in close proximity to a few other players. We just had our annual tournament, West Coast Melee, in Irvine two weeks ago...but we will also have our annual Burning Wreck BBQ, usually around August. We have a total of 5 monthly Game Days at different locations throughout the Southern California region as follows

1st Saturday of each month - Gameology in Ontario.
2nd Saturday - "Red Barricades Project" (plus open gaming) at the Knights of Colombus Hall in Anaheim (Lemon St./Harbor Blvd. exit off the 91 Fwy.
3rd Saturday - Emerald Knights Comics & Games in Burbank.
4th Saturday - *TWO* Game Days...one in Escondido in the San Diego area and one in Chatsworth at JJ's Game Lounge.

In addition, in months where there are 5 Saturdays, we plan something...last June we did "ASL Goes to the Range" where a bunch of us went to the gun range and went shooting...there were a lot of WWII firearms that we all fired...This month, on the 30th, the club is taking a field trip to visit the USS Iowa in Port of Los Angeles. In the past, we have taken field trips to the Planes of Fame out at Chino Airport and up to the Bay Area to visit the Littlefield Armor Collection.

On our website, we have a Forums section where you can post Opponents Wanted adds and find players near you (there are actually quite a few in the Inland Empire these days)...I myself live in Fullerton, not far from Corona. We also have a number of players that like to play VASL, and you should be able to find local opponents for either live or PBEM games.

If you decide to join the club, we also have a "club store" where you can purchase MMP products as we are now a vendor for MMP ...if we don't already have it in stock, we can order it for you...and you can tell the club to put you down for a pre-order of pending products. We have to wait longer to recieve product because MMP ships preorders before vendor orders, but the club passing the savings on to us and we save a few $$ in the end when it is all said and done.

In short, we can cover just about any of your ASL needs. Welcome to SoCal ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott
Scott,

I replied without reading through the posts to your thread.

Sounds like we both got him a reference to the SoCAL ASL website.

Hope he does get back active.

I am trying to get another ASL player that lives in NW Indiana to possibly play ASL with the Chicago crowd.

Maybe the long lost players are now looking for something that they feel comfortable with in these "tough economic times".....

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey, thanks, Scott. I will definitely check it out. Tragically, I work evenings and Saturdays, which makes it really tough to get together with humans.
Who mentioned humans?
We are ASL players. :laugh: