Winter Offensive, January 12-January 15, 2017

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will be hitching a ride in to Bowie with Kev Killeen on Thurs. Jan.12th and leaving Sunday the 15th. Do not have a room reserved, however. Anyone interested in splitting a room for all or any of these days please contact me through the conversation or call me at 216-269-1275. Amicable, moderate imbiber, hygenic, and non-snoring. I could supply an email address through the conversation.
Thanks, Dave

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just checked the weather forecast, and there is no indication of 30" of snow. Will Winter Offensive have to be canceled? Mr. Youse has not made it plain who is to furnish the snow for this Bowie retreat.

JR

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just checked the weather forecast, and there is no indication of 30" of snow. Will Winter Offensive have to be canceled? Mr. Youse has not made it plain who is to furnish the snow for this Bowie retreat.

JR
Lack of snow doesn't scare us none. WO is go!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
We had our yearly allotment of snow Saturday which I quickly cleared from the driveway having bulked up last January shoveling snow at the Bowie Comfort Inn in order to free cars. I am looking forward to a little global warming, at least this upcoming weekend when a couple of us Tarheels plan to be at WO.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Planning to attend on Saturday, do I need to buy a ticket online or can I just show up and pay? Thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Planning to attend on Saturday, do I need to buy a ticket online or can I just show up and pay? Thanks.
You can just show up and pay. They have a cash register & credit card machine there where you can pay for attendance and/or products.

JR

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can just show up and pay. They have a cash register & credit card machine there where you can pay for attendance and/or products.

JR
Thanks JR. The website says no tickets available when I tried to purchase, so this is good news.
Brian

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks JR. The website says no tickets available when I tried to purchase, so this is good news.
I think that means that the early discounts are done. You can always show up at the door, and there's always space on a table if you push someone else's stuff off.

JR

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that means that the early discounts are done. You can always show up at the door, and there's always space on a table if you push someone else's stuff off.

JR
Better to bribe Perry to push someone else's stuff off.
And registration is definitely available at the door: $60 for weekend, $30 for the day, all going to WWII Foundation.
Website has been updated.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Winter Offensive Fast Facts

143 paid Offenders, all fees to WWII Foundation

135 bodies (excluding Mgmt)

$1000+ raffle proceeds for WWII Foundation

ASL Champion: Bret Hildebran 6-0

2nd place: Phil Palmer 5-0

3rd place tie at 4-1: Paul Sidhu (win on tiebreakers), Kevin Valerian, George Tournemire

Mini-tournament champs: Bret Hildebran, Phil Palmer, Kevin Valerian, and Ken Knott

GCACW tourney champ: Chris Withers

More GCACW info at CSW

All-around Winners: 135-way tie for First Place. Everyone is a Winner at Winner Offensive.

Most Pleased Award to Brian Youse and Perry Cocke:

We are extremely happy that so many people are willing to take part in our little tourney, that so many have come back year after year, and that new faces continue to become new friends.

Thanks for Offending.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playtesting at Winter Offensive

We ran four playtest mini-tournaments, two for the upcoming mini-HASL Flames in Hatten (Kevin Valerian and Phil Palmer winners) and two (Bret Hildebran and Ken Knott winners) for an upcoming Action Pack focused on a single Russian unit with scenarios by Ken Dunn and Brian Youse.

Everyone loved the six Hatten scenarios played on the “beautiful” white Hatten HASL map. Most are good as is, and a couple may need some minor tweaking. Chas and JR Tracy spent a least a full day playtesting the "monster" Hatten scenario (thanks JR) and on Sunday Chas and Darrell Wright were able to playtest one of the mini-tourney scenarios with suggested tweaks.

The six AP scenarios (only two used the new map) were also all acclaimed as “fun” but two need some wording tweaks and one or two need some re-balancing.

Without Gary Fortenberry there to shepherd things, we did not run a Burma mini on his new boards, but the boards were on display and several playtests games went down (thanks Kevin Meyer) for me to report to Gary.

Overall, very successful run of mini-tournaments and some great playtesting.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Bret for his WO win. Look forward to picking up another great Journal and WO pack.

Scott

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First time back at WO since 1996. Fabulous outing. Many thanks to Perry, Brian, and the MMP gang. The new WO pack and Journal 12 are, imo, some of the best new scenarios of recent times and a great value. Congrats to my fellow Ohioan, Bret, for a well deserved victory. Great venue, great hosts, and great gaming. But most of all, great to see so many old friends who I haven't seen in years. I continue to be humbled in your presence.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How about it!?! All of those people that went and not one pic of anything.
Visualize a bunch of older males in a room, hunched over folding tables. You got it. The interwebs already have enough unpleasantness on them. Need we add more?

JR