US 747 d boxcars

Chris NL

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Hello there,
Probebly the most ask question.
A US 747 rolls a 6,6 on a 2mc roll, it elr so break-up in 2 HS, But what happen next a CR, But they are already 2 HS. one is KIA? other breaks?

hx Chris

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From the Q&A:

q&a said:
A10.31 & A19.13 If an unbroken 6-5-8 SS squad (with its normal 5 ELR) suffers a Casualty MC that also exceeds its ELR, is it Replaced by a broken 3-4-8 SS HS?
A. Yes. [Gen25.6; An95w; An96; Mw]
JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Hello there,
Probebly the most ask question.
A US 747 rolls a 6,6 on a 2mc roll, it elr so break-up in 2 HS, But what happen next a CR, But they are already 2 HS. one is KIA? other breaks?

hx Chris
A10.31 says Unit Replacement takes place first, then Casualty Reduction. I would apply Random Selection. Just my opinion though. -- jim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A10.31 says Unit Replacement takes place first, then Casualty Reduction. I would apply Random Selection. Just my opinion though. -- jim
If the K/# is applied to the one 7-4-7 in a stack, Random Selection has already been applied. That is why the Q&A answer is likely to be correct. Otherwise there has to be a second random selection, first to pick the 7-4-7 out of the stack and second to pick the halfsquad(s) chosen. There is no indication in the rules I am aware of that there should be a second random selection in this case, so I think the Q&A is correct.

The answer you gave was my first thought, but on reflection I had to discard it.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If the K/# is applied to the one 7-4-7 in a stack, Random Selection has already been applied.
The OP said a 2MC and a 6,6. No Random Selection has been preformed. This is pure Fate. The rule (A10.31) then states you first do the Unit Substitution (A19.13), and then applies the Casualty Reduction (A7.302). Since the Unit Reduction for an under-lined morale unit is to split it into HS, the question remaining is how to apply it when the original unit is now two units. The Q&A seems appropriate, but not clearly delineated in the rules. Given other precedence, RS seems appropriate, but not clearly delineated in the rules. Either is workable to me. If I was suffering the results, I would prefer your way. If was administering the results, I would prefer mine. :) -- jim

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What if the unit is carrying a SW? If the split into HS happens first, then should one roll for which is killed (potentially leaving the SW unpossessed)?

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry I am confused. The OP states
A US 747 rolls a 6,6 on a 2mc roll
I read this as there is an MC DR on a single 7-4-7. They exceed their ELR so why isn't the 7-4-7 just replaced with a broken 6-6-6 (failed MC breaks, exceed ELR forces unit replacement of the Elite with 1st line ')? I don't understand why the 7-4-7 is initially being replaced with 2 HS.
It would seem the only time a random selection would occur is if there was more than 1 Squad or HS in a location that suffered a K/#.
I am struggling with the
so break-up in 2 HS
part of the statement as I can't find the rule where the result of any attack is for the squad to break into 2 HS. Thanks

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
They exceed their ELR so why isn't the 7-4-7 just replaced with a broken 6-6-6 (failed MC breaks, exceed ELR forces unit replacement of the Elite with 1st line ')? I don't understand why the 7-4-7 is initially being replaced with 2 HS.
A unit with underlined morale is replaced with two of its own HS rather than degraded to a lower level unit. See A19.13. -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sorry I am confused. The OP states

I read this as there is an MC DR on a single 7-4-7. They exceed their ELR so why isn't the 7-4-7 just replaced with a broken 6-6-6 (failed MC breaks, exceed ELR forces unit replacement of the Elite with 1st line ')? I don't understand why the 7-4-7 is initially being replaced with 2 HS.
It would seem the only time a random selection would occur is if there was more than 1 Squad or HS in a location that suffered a K/#.
I am struggling with the
Besides, if a scenario SSR were to remove the underlined morale of the 7-4-7, the normal ELR rules would ELR them down to 2nd line (5-4-6) and not 1st line (6-6-6): when you ELR down, none of the numbers of the Strength Factor (here, Range) can increase.

7-4-7 to 5-4-6 may seem harsh, but think of the German 8-3-8 who, when touched by this, ELR all the way down to 4-3-6 (but I'm not sure there are any published scenarios where this applies - it can only happen by SSR).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What if the unit is carrying a SW? If the split into HS happens first, then should one roll for which is killed (potentially leaving the SW unpossessed)?
When any other unit is CRed and ELRed, would we also roll to see if the SW fall to the ground? The original question so many years ago was really wondering if the surviving hs should be disrupted or not. No one has ever suggested nor played randomly selecting which hs is eliminated.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one has ever suggested nor played randomly selecting which hs is eliminated.
My only reason for asking is that several folks had suggested that the splitting of the squad should happen first, in which case the potential for both getting CR was possible (which I am glad to see is not supported), but that left open the possibility (nixed by Klas) that the SW would be with the one that got whacked. It would only have been relevant to those squads that split when suffering ELR replacement. I accept Klas's answer (obviously!), but wonder why not... if this "Sparafucil3: The rule (A10.31) then states you first do the Unit Substitution (A19.13), and then applies the Casualty Reduction (A7.302)" is correct.