Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I encountered and did a few first for me in a face-to-face game on Saturday. The scenario was CH26 Close Order Driel

A SPW 251/1 half-track was immobilized by an AT mine. The half-squad passenger got out ok, and in a way ended up being the squad that secured the victory after the SPW 251/7 scored a CH, killing a 9-2 leader and breaking the squad on the last turns Prep fire phase, in the last victory location needed to occupy. The crew abandoned the HT and took the AAMG with them for some more firepower..

Another half-squad took the AAMG from a SPW 251/sMG and the crew took the CMG.

Fun with half-tracks.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Continued sorting my Russian counters to sift out the old V1 set and punch the FB and RF sets. I had received FB right as I moved into my gaming hiatus, so they were unpunched. Between my ASL SK counters, VOTG, and those two modules, I am pretty good. I might have to leave the V1 Vehicles in place until I snag the latest RB with the enlarged counter images (my current 2005 one is well printed but still has the smaller images).

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Continued sorting my Russian counters to sift out the old V1 set and punch the FB and RF sets. I had received FB right as I moved into my gaming hiatus, so they were unpunched. Between my ASL SK counters, VOTG, and those two modules, I am pretty good. I might have to leave the V1 Vehicles in place until I snag the latest RB with the enlarged counter images (my current 2005 one is well printed but still has the smaller images).
I am also replacing my core counters with new edition counters. I am not, however, punching HASL stuff, until I actually need them to play. You might want to consider doing the same. Life is short.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am also replacing my core counters with new edition counters.
I am so grateful, that I am already through doing this -inclusive of clipping...

Well, ...

That is, except for the Korea stuff and the new Italians - which come with Ethiopians etc.
Which will lead to an 'overload' of the storage system for the US and the Italians...
Which will lead to a fundamental rethinking of the system...
Which might entail relabelling everything...

The horrors !!!! :eek:

von Marwitz

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the pocket rulebook, which is much preferable to my spiral bound regular (with errata glued in) rulebook because it's more compact yet still readable and up-to-date.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am playtesting a night scenario that has SS with Panthers against Canadians with PIATs and 57L AT guns. In the first three turns, I have had a SMC with a PIAT eliminate two tanks in three tries, a HS with a PIAT eliminate two tanks in two tries, and two AT guns eliminate one Panther each in three tries each. Most successful three turns ever.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am playtesting a night scenario that has SS with Panthers against Canadians with PIATs and 57L AT guns. In the first three turns, I have had a SMC with a PIAT eliminate two tanks in three tries, a HS with a PIAT eliminate two tanks in two tries, and two AT guns eliminate one Panther each in three tries each. Most successful three turns ever.
Probably not indicative of how the typical game would go. All rear shots?

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Today in ASL?
I pulled open the closet door with difficulty and a loud creak. The cobwebs were thick and I needed to chisel off a thick layer of dust. 🕸 Leather fedora crushed on my head, a whip on my belt. 🤠 There it is: my ASL collection. Sorted through all the stuff I brought but never played and made sure I have everything published, at least by MMP. Missing Manila and Swedish volunteers and I can live with that. OK, Inor and LFT #14 I can't live without. St Mare Eglise is here (No effin Red Skelton counter though, cows partially compensate. Has a Vandervoort counter so I can do Duke impersonations: a net win. This is my stimulus to get back into ASL). "Pocket RB" has a font size that's just this side of the vanishing point and needs a scanning electron microscope to read. eRB it is. Nothing new by Critical Hit so I haven't completely lost my sanity. Missed the LFTs rat charts and I'm bummed about that. New BFP stuff. Shit, why did I buy that engagement ring? Has to wait (BFP, not the wedding. Scoff if you will but damn! she beats ASL hands down! Yes, that is saying something.). Maybe stop the internet search for whatever else is new, I have more scenarios than I could ever play (Ha! Like THAT ever stopped me!)

OK, so I haven't played in a bit. Like, I playtested Festung Budapest but don't think I ever played on the published game (I even got a map contribution credit on that one, my only non-medical publication! I worked on the section you never play on. BTW, there should be a marketplace in the Ganz works if you want the second use of that terrain type in ASL history). So it must be about 10-12 years since I've played. I'll break out the counters and do a run through of "The Guards Counterattack" because I've never played that one before.*

*If you count selectively and miss the 13,957 times I played the SL version in the 1970s alone! 14 when SL came out and I remember thinking "IT HAS 2ND LEVEL COUNTERS!" and that was just too cool.