Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
From #13 I chose these:
J194 A REAL WAR
J196 BLOOD AMONGST THE PINES
J198 THE VALLEY OF GLORY
J204 RAFF’S ARMY
J206 COLLECT CALL
J214 RAFF’S ORDERS
J217 DEAD BATTERY
J221 HILL 1277
J222 DEN OUDEN HOLDS THE LINE
s

That faint whimpering you hear is "Careless At Bakri" waving it's tiny arms and saying, "Pick me, pick me!"

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
I started digitizing my Journal scenarios. I'm at #140. On one hand, it is depressing to be reminded of how many scenarios I will never play. OTOH, I'm pleased that I've played so many. Of course, while scanning, I occasionally see one that I think about adding to my play list. At least at this point in time, I can check ROAR and the Archive for balance and enjoyment rating before making the decision.
When you say digitalizing, do you mean scanning and making a PDF version?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
When you say digitalizing, do you mean scanning and making a PDF version?
Yes, combined with removing the originals from sheet protectors and binders, and then putting them in a box so they will take up less room. Of course, I could and should put them in the paper recycle bin, but I'm not there yet. With the early CH scenarios, yes, but with official scenarios, no.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Put out the call for some Top Men, some real go-getters to help us modernize the VASL los-gui tool that is used to add LOS info to every VASL board. If this succeeds, we (and I mean I) will be much more able to add LOS to new boards (and old ones that don't have it), freeing up Doug Rimmer to do Other Good VASL Things.

Top. Men.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And if anybody wants to help with this effort, ping me. We may have Top.Men, but we could always use more. You would need to know Java, and be able to work with difficult users (me).

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Working my way through the Vehicle, Gun, Boats and Aircraft counters I have to update my long out of date counter storage tabs on the Texas ASL website

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
What are you planning to do with these blank counters? - After the snow covering them has melted off, that is...
This morning's arts and crafts project was SASL counters. The blank ones can be Suspect counters without further modification. For the information counters I printed out some designs onto a full sheet label and then used a 3/8" punch to create circle stickers to apply to the blank counters:

Sorry for the ugly phone picture! The punch wasn't quite as clean as I'd like, you can see some minor rough spots even in the poor quality photo above. Doing a circle I figured would be less sensitive to alignment than printing and cutting square stickers.

Really, if one values their time at all then sending out for a custom laser cut counter sheet is probably the way to do it. Surprisingly economical these days! I couldn't actually find any place that would do one off prototype die cut 1/2" counters with corner nibs though - only side nibs, which make me vomit. So I think the laser cutting options are probably best if you want smooth sides in small batches.

SASL++ and PBS (Play Both Sides) suggest some optional info counters as well, so I'll probably do the same for that at some point.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
After a bunch of ASL stuff has arrived in the past few weeks, today I updated VASSAL/VASL to the latest versions and created a new VASL file to play next Sunday. None of the new stuff, though, but one of the oldies but goldies:

WCW10 Stand And Die

by Scott Holst. Looking forward to this one.

The VASL file (created with VASSAL v3.6.19 and VASL v6.6.6) is also available for download at the ASL Scenario Archive website - of course without VC/SSR to honor copyright.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I listened to some old episodes of the 2 HS and learned something very valuable; not about ASL, but about youtube. I learned that one can play back the episodes faster than normal (e.g, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, etc.). This is a game changer for me. There is a lot of ASL and other content that I haven't watched because I did not want to spend so much time watching youtube videos. Now I can watch more in the same amount of time that I am willing to spend.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I learned that one can play back the episodes faster than normal (e.g, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, etc.). This is a game changer for me. There is a lot of ASL and other content that I haven't watched because I did not want to spend so much time watching youtube videos. Now I can watch more in the same amount of time that I am willing to spend.
Apparently, you don't have young daughters, otherwise, you would be haunted by this...

I SAY HAUNTED!! 👻👻👻

The bad thing about this, that with faster speed the frequency of the voices goes up. Everything sounds as if the people were figures from cartoons. Well, many of them seem to be in the first place...

I say, pass up that game-changer. If you think that watching those things is only worth it at 1.5x or 2.0x speed, then me thinks you should consider if it is really worth watching at all for you.

Cheers,
von Marwitz