Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Don't you need to be a paying member to upload images and files?
No. At least in the past this was not a requirement. To upload pics (to illustrate rules questions for example) you could simply use the button beneath the window in which you type your post.

Paying members may offer things for sale via GameSquad forum though. This function is not available to non-paying member.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yesterday evening I met up with Will & Mike in a town away from home and spent the evening sitting outside in the hot and humid weather drinking beers and talking about Family, Life & ASL. This is what ASL is to me.

Rgds Jack

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

Right!
Stop this right now.
This banter is off topic!

(just a test, pic upload didn't work yesterday)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Got caught up on all my scanning. I had about 18 months worth of purchases that hadn't been scanned and uploaded to my cloud space. Issue resolved. :) -- jim

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Got caught up on all my scanning. I had about 18 months worth of purchases that hadn't been scanned and uploaded to my cloud space. Issue resolved. :) -- jim

Jim:

At what resolution are you scanning? I'm working on the same project myself; have three of the BFP magazines left and all of their products will be at 600dpi. After that, back to scanning the Journals and Annuals.

Cheers,

Mark

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim:

At what resolution are you scanning? I'm working on the same project myself; have three of the BFP magazines left and all of their products will be at 600dpi. After that, back to scanning the Journals and Annuals.

Cheers,

Mark
300X300 at 24 bit color. I have everything ASL related I own scanned and stored. I got tired of lugging all that paper around. Now I can pull what I want onto my tablet and get everything else I need via Wifi. -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I do 600 dpi. The scanning time is almost the same, any clean-up time identical and later on I don't have any thoughts of "That's a bit crude, I should have done it better." followed by "Start again?". The downside of 600 vs 300 is file sizes will be bigger, 4 times without compression, a bit less with. But file storage is so cheap it's worth it for the feeling that you will never ever be tempted to do it again. But then I'm a bit of a nit picker.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played not one but two scenarios today: OA--16 Surrender or Die & A--The Guards Counterattack, and both games ended on the last possible die roll! What a fun day!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I do 600 dpi. The scanning time is almost the same, any clean-up time identical and later on I don't have any thoughts of "That's a bit crude, I should have done it better." followed by "Start again?". The downside of 600 vs 300 is file sizes will be bigger, 4 times without compression, a bit less with. But file storage is so cheap it's worth it for the feeling that you will never ever be tempted to do it again. But then I'm a bit of a nit picker.
I don't have 600 dpi eyes anymore. The scans I get are good enough for what I need. You also have to factor in shaky/unstable WiFi in tournament hotels. Don't you lot in EU tend to have metered WiFi? I know you have metered cellular. I can get to my cloud instance on cellular to in a pinch, to include my ASLRB :) -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It's not so much having 600 DPI eyes but if you clean up the image, magnify it or overlay errata there is the greater detail to start with and fewer compression induced artefacts. While I am a bit behind in my scanning I have about 2200 pages/images taking 18 GB on my laptop's internal 1 TB hard drive with about 800 GB free, regularly backed up to a removable external drive.
<Hollywood Mexican Bandit Accent>
Don't need no stinkin' WiFi.
<\Hollywood Mexican Bandit Accent>
As my cellphone does just voice and text, cloud storage has no advantage and just means someone else gets to lose my stuff.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Picked up solo play of CH Berlin scenario Urban Fortress, to prepare for tomorrow night's game vs my friend John Brown.