Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The corners of your avatar seem to have been clipped to a 1mm standard. No one here is capable of the precision that's required to properly satisfy your elegant tastes, Herr von Marwitz. Also, gearing up to handle such a request would even be too costly for a noble such as yourself. So, good luck with that... <g>
This prompts me to relate the origin of my current avatar:

It used to be a photograph of Oberst von Stauffenberg before this one. Zen won of zose days I engaged in zom of sat German accent lingo sat you Americans seem to be zo fond of. This inspired one of the friendly forumites to come up with the 6+1 avatar. True to my +1 inpirational morale, I chastized him at once for neglecting to use fracture font for the name and the numbers but vowed to use it if it would be fixed. That recaltricant (sic!) recruit amended this in short order and just in time to do a hundred because he still screwed up the correct depiction of the Iron Cross (that von Marwitz - of course - deserves as opposed to v. Stransky). Probably that was too much for the recruit, because in the end, it was Oberst von Marwitz himself who had to affix the correct Iron Cross to it. Napoléon did it with his own crown, so it seems to be accepted in the aristocracy. So far, von Marwitz has hushed up the recruit's malheur with the inappropriate corner-clippings of the avatar. But to hold a given word is a matter of honor, so he uses it nevertheless. And after all, there are more important matters: There is a war to be won...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Playing FT81 -- Dubrovka. Getting down to the end game. Had a Spanish HS fire at a 10-0 Commissar, broken conscript, pinned 4-2-6 and a pinned 4-4-7 in a wooden building.

2 +2 shot. And the roll is:

2,1 -- NMC

Commissar first:

Passes and HoB!!

Russians are +2 on the HoB table. Is the Commissar going to roll a 7 and go berserk, rallying the brokie and taking the others with him?

Unfortunately, no. Helped out my opponent by creating a future Hero of the Soviet Union.

Good scenario though.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
checked a box off my ASL bucket list with a 81mm Mtr on a lvl 2 hill taking a 7+1 IF shot at a moving PzJg III/IV (Case F, J, N-2, and P-1) HE ATT for a hit, rolled a 3,3. The hit resolution on the 8 FP column is a 4,1 for an immobilized 88LLmm gun tube (-1 OT, -1 all AF <=4) in the WAAY back field (24 hex range). The D5.5 NTC sets off my sniper on a 1 effect dr, which tracks into a 2 sqd infantry stack, and rolls a yahtzee 5,5 RS set. Breaking one, the additional effect dr is 2, so the other pins. Quite nice for an IF shot from hell :D Worst part, that Mtr has the AFV zeroed in now at -2 aq. Guess who's gonna feel the love in my next PFPh :D :D. I've been the victim of an 81mm Mtr hit killing an M3A1 before, I've been waiting for a chance to return the favor ASL style and score a kill back one day. As someone once said - 81mm is still 81mm, and something to fear in ASL.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I created my first VASL counter.

My to-clip physical counters have now outgrown the FKaC box holding them and fill half of my FW box too.

Priorities. If we play at BE, we're gonna be using your set. :D

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Finished scanning all of the ASL Annuals at 600dpi resolution. Up next, the ASL Journals.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Setting up for DB133 A Deadly Landscape as the Germans (back) in Stalingrad. You really should see the SSR where SAN increases in Turn 2 and again in Turn 4 in a 5 turn game!

I see that the Yankee ASL selected it for Nor'easter 2018. Great choice!

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back home from Derek Ritter's "Where the Iron Crosses Grow" tourney. Well, as the novice I went "oh 'fer," but that didn't keep me from having a wonderful time - Derek is an incredibly gracious host and I enjoyed meeting and getting to know many ASL players (I had previously only mixed with guys from my local club).

I feel like death today from the brain fry of six scenarios in 48 hours, the lack of sleep, and the 650 miles (round trip) of driving, but would do it all again in a second. I learned several things and got to see a glimpse of the depth of the system - the guys who have played for decades are clearly playing a different game than I can even imagine. I'm definitely excited to keep with it and now know that I can keep learning for a long time to come.

Simply a great three days!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Back home from Derek Ritter's "Where the Iron Crosses Grow" tourney. Well, as the novice I went "oh 'fer," but that didn't keep me from having a wonderful time - Derek is an incredibly gracious host and I enjoyed meeting and getting to know many ASL players (I had previously only mixed with guys from my local club).

I feel like death today from the brain fry of six scenarios in 48 hours, the lack of sleep, and the 650 miles (round trip) of driving, but would do it all again in a second. I learned several things and got to see a glimpse of the depth of the system - the guys who have played for decades are clearly playing a different game than I can even imagine. I'm definitely excited to keep with it and now know that I can keep learning for a long time to come.

Simply a great three days!
So I can look forward to meeting you at Bitter Ender? :D

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Funny, I just got around to matte-spraying my O:S and FSSF (LCP) counters yesterday. Cured overnight and ready to clip today! "They don't get played until they get sprayed." :nod:
Ha .. you saw my LC counters from the photo huh. If the weather holds up I will do my Yanks2 counters as well.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What kind of matte spray are you using?
Thanks
Dave
This one I used is not matt (just didn't wanna waste it) .. Daler Rowney Artists' Clear Picture Varnish. The matt spray I got (and will use on Yanks2) is Royal Talens Amsterdam acrylic varnish matt 115.