The Best Books On Stalingrad

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I don't think the 3rd book is finished yet. The second one was released in '09. He must still be working on the last one.

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Out of interest Paullus is the third in the Glantz trilogy available yet? I can only see the first two in my search.
What format does the book take? I'm more interested in personal story than units....I get headache reading about I/IIIrd of the 368th regiment of the 456th division of the 4th Army and all that kind of stuff.
No it's not available yet. It should have been out in 2010 but they are still working on it.

The book is mostly about units but there are some stories on a personal level, so I'd say it is a mix. I have to say that the book gave me a deeper understanding of the Stalingrad battle in terms of why and where units fought, terrain difficulties and tactical necessities etc. I had a hard time putting down the book in spite of its weight :) and sometimes Glantz way of writing. For me the book complement Jasons island of fire and I'm eagerly awaiting volume 3.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Based on the recommendations in this thread I decided to buy Glantz's second book of his trilogy; Armaggedon In Stalingrad. It arrived this morning and I feel sure I made the right choice. It seems to cover every aspect of the fight for the city from september to end of november. It is just what I was looking for. The chapters are even divided up into the main sections of the battle - i.e. Tractor Works, Barrikady, Central Stalingrad, Workers Settlements etc.

It looks really well done.

Casta

Could be worse...
Reaction score
Own the first two, I havn't started it yet. How is the first book?
It is great. It provides perspective on how the city fighting in Stalingrad was on the tail end of a grueling multi-month campaign. The Soviets took quite a beating.

I learned more from the first book than the second book.

Peace,

Casta

P.S. Have you read anything from Glantz before?

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What other books has Glantz written?

Is his style really dull? That would be a shame.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think Mr.Glantz benefits from having another writer along, it makes his stuff more "readable"
for the unwashed masses. Having said that, I read his books for the information and history.
I think Glantz' books are excellent.
Oh yeah, and he's a nice guy to boot!:D

Casta

Could be worse...
Reaction score

I did not mean to imply this.

I am no expert, but I have read most of Glantz's books. It takes some discipline on the part of the reader, but it well worth it if you have an interest in the Eastern Front of World War Two.

For someone who has never read Glantz before, I would recommend starting with "Zhukov's Greatest Defeat" (ISBN 0-7006-0944-X).

I hope this is helpful.

Peace,

Casta

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Glantz's books are not intended as general interest reading. They're history books. They're for recording history, alternately, for learning from or using as a reference.

The other comparison one might make is to the ASLRB. It's written for a specific purpose, and light entertainment is not the primary aim. If it happens to do so, so much the better.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So he is a 'proper' historian then? That suits me just fine.

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glantz's books are not intended as general interest reading. They're history books. They're for recording history, alternately, for learning from or using as a reference.

The other comparison one might make is to the ASLRB. It's written for a specific purpose, and light entertainment is not the primary aim. If it happens to do so, so much the better.
well said. Many a time is when I found myself waking up in the morning, still on the couch, with a good history book still grasped in my hands. It's education/reference, not entertainment :)

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally picked up "Island of Fire" and "Croatian Legion";
GOOD STUFF. Really looking forward to putting these along-
side the Glantz books on Stalingrad.

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael K. Jones wrote a not bad book called STALINGRAD: How the Red Army Triumphed, which has the unique perspective of not having been written from the point of view of the Germans.
I second Michaels recomendation. Just finished the book and it's a great look at what the soviet high comand went through to defend Stalingrad. Shoots down many of the old Soviet prapaganda tales about the defense of the city.

Derf