Taming The Skulk

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe that the debate about skulking is, in fact, a realism argument and realism counterargument, where everybody is partly right, partly wrong.
Excellent point!

That, I think, puts this debate pretty much to a (fitful) rest.

I tried to rep you...but was not allowed. :OHNO:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty much any discussion about changing the way the game works, whether because of a tactic or because of a game mechanic you are going to enter the realm of reality arguments.

Can't be avoided I'm afraid.

So... I don't condemn or applaud them.

For me the real motivation in making a change to the rules is how elegantly the activity fits into the rest of the game... (which for the most part I find pretty damn elegant).

JT

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look, the rules some have suggested for Skulking (new Skulk counters or somesuch) are possible ways to 'handle' skulking. For playability's sake, though, the designers have given us one possible way to handle this tactic/game mechanic without any additional rules. If we thought about it, we could probably come up with other tactics/game mechanics for which--given enough time and/or rulebook space--we could come up with alternate ways to 'handle' it ruleswise. Like the game itself, the body of rules is one which contains a spectrum, a range, of possibilities; the system works the best way possible (in nearly every case).

Doesn't Voltaire capture this well? "L'ASL RB est le meilleur des RB possibles"?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Doesn't Voltaire capture this well? "L'ASL RB est le meilleur des RB possibles"?

Sorry, but I feel compelled to make a citizen's arrest for a Foreign Language Fault (FLF).

Unless it is your mother tongue (so all our French, Swedish, Norwegian, and Welsh friends don't indignantly rise up and flood the Forums with a stream of foreign posts), one should not use more that three (3) consecutive syllables from a language other than English in posting to the Forums. :smoke:

It's particularly galling that the foul is accessed against a moderator.....:surprise:

For the humor impaired, and we seem to have our share,.....:p.....

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, but I feel compelled to make a citizen's arrest for a Foreign Language Fault (FLF).

Unless it is your mother tongue (so all our French, Swedish, Norwegian, and Welsh friends don't indignantly rise up and flood the Forums with a stream of foreign posts), one should not use more that three (3) consecutive syllables from a language other than English in posting to the Forums. :smoke:

It's particularly galling that the foul is accessed against a moderator.....:surprise:

For the humor impaired, and we seem to have our share,.....:p.....
Sorry, I don't understand much of the above post. . . :rolleyes:

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps you can consider the "skulk" maneuver an attempt to grab cover and avoid fire until a "real threat" is perceived by the defender that being the attacker threatening to enter its location/building, what have you.
This is all hypothetical.

The only way I see to counter the skulk maneuver is get in the defender's face and positioning yourself to be able to fire on these "safe" locations and/or giving them juicy bait.
That is part of the puzzle to figure out in the tactics you weave, as the Attacker, to accomplish your goal, the victory conditions. Like how to attack that pesky gun effectively, etc.

I don't know if any of this can explain the "realism" aspect but I guess it's something we all hopefully accept and learn to counter effectively.

Darren