Scenario lists to bring to tournaments

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Which ones are the erotic scenarios? Just curious, of course.
If you must know, I'd start by checking the scenarios from Le franc tireur 14. This pack includes a sexy new set of Italian counters, plus five others to represent schoolgirls or "ladies of the night" on the reverse side. I suggest never using these, however, or else you'll find yourself having to explain how they fit into this "game" you always withdraw into the basement to play...

The scenarios from LFT 14 run from the PG-13, "Damsels in Distress," to the some others that must be rather explicit - though I would certainly never play such trash ("A Push in the Bush" and "Roter Mann" come to mind). There's also "Meat Meats Attack," a concession to those of you that fly that way, I guess. And, best never to even look at the card titled "Gladium Pro Patria e Rege." I have no idea what THAT means, but it must be in horribly bad taste!

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“I’ll play anything (within reason) you wish. You don’t have something you want to play? Then how about one of these new ones, whichever one you wish.”

THAT’s ”more than slightly“ impolite??

i disagree, and I bet the vast majority of tournament players disagree.
Slow down, there, pardner! You added something to that which was not in the original proposition--a de facto list.

I believe it is impolite to throw the entire burden of scenario selection onto your opponent and to just sit back and be a veto. I think both players bear a responsibility to bring some possibilities to the table. I know some players think they are actually somehow being flexible by doing this sort of thing, but I think they need to rethink things.

As for what the "vast majority of tournament players" may think, I cannot say, but I will note that two different people at the past ASLOK made this exact point to me.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Would newer players be expected to bring a list? Personally, having only been playing two years, I don't think I have been playing long enough to have any preferences or ideas on what's hot or not.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would newer players be expected to bring a list? Personally, having only been playing two years, I don't think I have been playing long enough to have any preferences or ideas on what's hot or not.
If there's something you'd like to take a look at, sure bring a short list. Most ASL players are pretty accommodating when it comes to playing a scenario, and especially so when opposite a less experienced player (read that as those that have had fewer years in the ASL gaming experience).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Myself, I don't expect any player to have a list. If you do, that's great. I was mostly interested in specialized lists for requests. I have played a number of players who have said something like, "I've never played any PTO." Gee, would you like to now? I was think that lists of that would make it easy to get a good scenario that fits a particular situation. So far I am thinking, Japanese, PTO, all- or nearly-all-armor, short games, DTO, and total- or near-newbie. I also have been playing a bunch of scenarios where the "smart-money" thinks it plays one way but I think the "smart-money" is wrong. A lot of the Forgotten War scenarios have been like that. And of course on every list, Flying Turrets.

JR

Last edited:

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Myself, I don't expect any player to have a list. If you do, that's great. I was mostly interested in specialized lists for requests. I have played a number of players who have said something like, "I've never played any PTO." Gee, would you like to now? I was think that lists of that would make it easy to get a good scenario that fits a particular situation. So far I am thinking, Japanese, PTO, all- or nearly-all-armor, short games, DTO, and total- or near-newbie. I also have been playing a bunch of scenarios where the "smart-money" thinks it plays one way but I think the "smart-money" is wrong. A lot of the Forgotten War scenarios have been like that. And of course on every list, Flying Turrets.

JR
You mean "go to" scenarios?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
It's certainly a good intro to armor rules.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a noob, but always take a list. In addition to just having a list, I have (to some degree) prepped a defense for each scenario on my list. This prep gets you up and playing much more quickly and takes some of the pressure off me because I don't have to rush to decide how I want to defend while my opponent is waiting on me.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a noob, but always take a list. In addition to just having a list, I have (to some degree) prepped a defense for each scenario on my list. This prep gets you up and playing much more quickly and takes some of the pressure off me because I don't have to rush to decide how I want to defend while my opponent is waiting on me.
Not to mention it gives you a modicum of an idea of how an opponent may set up to oppose you should you be the attacker.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to mention it gives you a modicum of an idea of how an opponent may set up to oppose you should you be the attacker.
Correct. Bottom line is that by coming with a stack of things that you've looked at and thought about, you have less down time and increase the chance that you'll give your opponent a reasonable game (by not having to set up something quickly).

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I added an "Any Scenario" option to the ASL OPEN. Meaning if there is a scenario you want to play, and you would play either side with no balance, and your opponent agrees, play it! This of course means bringing a list or better still, copies of the scenario. So the OPEN now has that option but a newer player need not bring a list because it is only by agreement that you leave the published list.

To view the 2020 scenario list and get all the rest of the information on the 2020 ASL OPEN go to:

https://aslopen.org/

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slow down, there, pardner! You added something to that which was not in the original proposition--a de facto list.
“I generally don't bring scenario lists to tournaments. I will play anything you want to play (I reserve right to veto, but won't often exercise that). Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point.“

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“I generally don't bring scenario lists to tournaments. I will play anything you want to play (I reserve right to veto, but won't often exercise that). Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point.“
Exactly.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I added an "Any Scenario" option to the ASL OPEN. Meaning if there is a scenario you want to play, and you would play either side with no balance, and your opponent agrees, play it! This of course means bringing a list or better still, copies of the scenario. So the OPEN now has that option but a newer player need not bring a list because it is only by agreement that you leave the published list.

To view the 2020 scenario list and get all the rest of the information on the 2020 ASL OPEN go to:

https://aslopen.org/
An ASLOK attendee used the ASL Open 2018 list of scenarios as his playlist.

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops. I quoted myself when I meant quote the original post by JR (who has wisely abandoned this part of the thread): “Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point.”

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops. I quoted myself when I meant quote the original post by JR (who has wisely abandoned this part of the thread): “Stuff new at the tournament is also a good starting point.”
I knew who/what you were quoting, which is why I said "exactly." Most tournaments don't have "one of these new ones"/"Stuff new" at them to begin with, and when they do, it is not always tournament suitable, and in any case, that may be fine for one opponent but not all opponents one will face. In no way is it similar to actually taking the courteous effort of preparing beforehand with a selection of scenarios that you are interested in playing, for your opponents to look at.