Scenario Club - November

For the November playing, I would like to play:

• The Fugitives (Beyond Valor - ASL8)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • I Remember (Tactiques - Tac4)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • The Cat's Lair (Onslaught to Orsha - OB13)

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Betrayed at Buchenau (Single Man Publishing - BMW 8)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Flames of Unrest (Journal 5 - J87)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • For Whom the Bells Toll (Schwerpunkt 9 - SP102)

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Apologies to those following the previous thread. I've been away on work for a week and had very limited net access. Anyway, here's the poll to see what scenario people would like to play in November. As you can see, the poll closes after next weekend.

I don't think that 3 weeks is enough time for people to get in a game via VASL, so I'm happy to extend the play period up to mid-December. That would then permit another poll for a game to start after Christmas. But time-scales aren't fixed in stone.

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't have OtO or J5 but would be interested in any of these if they could be made available to me for playing. [Yes, I know I should buy them, but won't before the playing starts. . . ]

paulkenny

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Tacticque scenario is available for free download on the internet, somewhere.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm not planning anything formal. If you're here, and you're playing the picked scenario, then talk about it! If you've got an opponent at home, or you're just going to solo it, no problemo. If you need/want a VASL opponent, then we can advertise on this folder.

Chas/Andrew, from a WHQ point of view, how would you like the 'opponents wanted' handled? Would you be happier if they were incorporated into the regular OW folder, or just dealt with in this topic? It would seem sensible to pick one or the other and make sure everyone's in the right location.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Chris,

I reckon here might be the place just so everything is together, but I'm easy if folks think otherwise. My thinking as well is putting it here will also increase the likelihood of matching "Scenario Club" players, rather than getting lots of requests in the "Opponents Wanted" folder for exactly the same scenario.

Are you going to announce the scenario once the poll closes on November 8? Or do another quick poll (before then?) but just between the two leading contenders which seem to be ASL8 and OB13?

Cheers,
Andrew

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nope. This is the one and only poll. I've not voted, so I guess I might reserve that for a casting vote should one be needed (hopefully not). Actually, I find it difficult to choose between all those listed above, so it makes it easier in that sense...

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Results of an utterly unscientific poll conducted on 10 ASL players. Though, curiously, I just got rid of it while you were posting, along with my avatar. Tabby's not complained though...

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Played most of the scenarios you picked out with Cats Lair being the best one from your list. Alot of open ground for the Russians to traverse coupled with the fact that the German Armor can hunker down in Stone buildings and pick off the Russian Armor. God help you if you opponent gets RoF of fire a few times. Is it tough on the Russians? A little, trying to get from one board end to another to take buildings and exit with surviving Russian Armor in 71/2 turns is a tall order made worse by Panzer Foust toting Germans.

Scott

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

You fail to mention that the Russians roughly outnumber the Germans 2:1 in Inf and 3:1 in AFVs. This total includes some ISU-122s, a t-34/85 FT Tank, and a 5:1 AFV advantage before the German reinforcements arrive at mid game.:)

Chas

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Chas-

But the difference here is that the Russians move first, thus exposing thier Armor in German Def Fire and when the German Prep fire roll's around, more Russian AFV's might be Toasted. I guess the Russians could try to hide but they are gonna be hard pressed to make it accross the board. Or an aggressive German player might even sally forth to go russian tank hunting, depending on how the Russians dispersed thier units IE if they clump all there T-34's together, awesome! and so on.
They can try to swamp the Germans on the 1st turn, but what German commander is gonna be dumb enough to leave his Armor hanging without infantry support?
One trick I pull was hidding the MTR team upfront in some woods , so what if the Russian find you, as long as there is Russian Armor near by to kill, the ploy might work. Plus an 81mm MTR fireing at exposed russians, memerable.

Scott

chas said:
Scott,

You fail to mention that the Russians roughly outnumber the Germans 2:1 in Inf and 3:1 in AFVs. This total includes some ISU-122s, a t-34/85 FT Tank, and a 5:1 AFV advantage before the German reinforcements arrive at mid game.:)

Chas

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys,

in case availabilty is a concern while voting, I just got the OK from Chas and Steve to post a free online copy of "Cats Lair" on our website - if/when the scenario is selected.

So, availabilty shouldn't be reason anymore :D

Pls let me know when the poll is closed, so I can upload the file if needed.
Ciao

Klaus

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Klaus Fischer said:
Guys,

in case availabilty is a concern while voting, I just got the OK from Chas and Steve to post a free online copy of "Cats Lair" on our website - if/when the scenario is selected.

Klaus
Klaus,

This is why you guys are great. I want to say thanks to you, Chas, and Steve for going the extra yard.

So....

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
chas said:
Scott,

Chas
Played this one as the Russian at Arnhem Tournament´04, and i can tell you my tanks were a tasty prey for the Panthers. In turn 4, 2/3 of my tanks where wrecks, even the same for my infantry. Until the ISU-122´s arrive you have nothing to kill a Panther with a front hit, except the FT. And not to forget the Schrecks and PF´s...I threw in the towell in turn 5. But at all, it is a very,very good scenario with many options! I choosed the wrong one :rolleyes:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heat of Battle rocks! Now where the hell is the SAS pack? :p

Scott

Klaus Fischer said:
Guys,

So, availabilty shouldn't be reason anymore :D

Pls let me know when the poll is closed, so I can upload the file if needed.
Ciao

Klaus

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Klaus, pass on my thanks to Chas and Steve. It can be the third all-time favourite :)

I don't think the tanks are the be all and end all in Cat's Lair. They're important, sure - I'd hate to be the Germans and lose my Panthers without killing plenty of Soviets first - but the infantry are the only thing that can win this for both sides. The OT-34 is by far the most important vehicle around. The Soviet player has to accept that taking on the Panthers will result in the loss of several tanks, and is no guaranteed thing. But a lot of those Soviet tanks are expendable. If there's an exposed Panther, go for it.

I've played it once - like Michael, at Arnhem - and won as the Germans by keeping my force intact. As the Soviets, I have a plan. But that can wait if and until it wins...

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cat's Lair is 12-12 on ROAR. This doesn't 'prove' it's balanced but it shows that someone has found a way to win with both sides.

This would be a good one for discussion as the above posts show that people have definite opinions but there are tactics that work for both sides.