New Tuskegee Movie

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Have a great trip. :ciao:

When the Lord of the Rings movies first came out , i loved them!!! Then i made the mistake of reading the books. The books are so much better and the movies leave so much out, i dont like the movies anymore, But it has nothing against Peter Jackson. Each movie would hav e been 5 hrs long if he had put everything in. That said, cant wait for The Hobbit to come out next year. :popc1:

MWR
Disagree! I read the books in HS and remember loving them. The movies came out and I really like them & my wife loves them. So I got the books out again and... It was torture reading the Fellowship but I made it thru that. I couldn't even get thru the first 100 pages of the Two Towers. It was sooooooooooooooooo boring!

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An old co-worker of mine described the books the same way. She said something along the line of ''he was putting his shoes on and thirty pages later he's tying his shoelaces.''
The movies are only worse in the sense that you have the one guy who can't act his way out of a paper bag looking frightened for 9 hours (more if you're watching the extended editions).
I heard they used them at Gitmo but stopped because of torture concerns.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Nice.

Can't even imagine getting them all. Lots of things have to go right. Sure was fun trying though. Still have my copy displayed prominently on my gaming shelf next to other AH classics such as Anzio, The Russian Campaign, Civilization, Republic of Rome, Up Front and Circus Maximus.
I liked it also but had a tough time finding opponents. I played more of Zocci's "Battle of Britain" than I did of "Luftwaffe". I bought the new Decision Games version BTW.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked it also but had a tough time finding opponents. I played more of Zocci's "Battle of Britain" than I did of "Luftwaffe". I bought the new Decision Games version BTW.
New Decision Games version of Luftwaffe or Battle of B? Opponents always seem to be the sticking point doesn't it? That goodness for ASL.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Disagree! I read the books in HS and remember loving them. The movies came out and I really like them & my wife loves them. So I got the books out again and... It was torture reading the Fellowship but I made it thru that. I couldn't even get thru the first 100 pages of the Two Towers. It was sooooooooooooooooo boring!
The movies are like a readers digest version of the books. Way too much left out and a lot of stuff changed around. I'll take the books anyday, But you could say that about any movie based on a book. Yea, they can drag at times but i wuold rate them top 5 all time IMO.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The movies are like a readers digest version of the books. Way too much left out and a lot of stuff changed around. I'll take the books anyday, But you could say that about any movie based on a book. Yea, they can drag at times but i wuold rate them top 5 all time IMO.
Yup. Top 5 for sure. I've always liked in my Top 10 for good clean fun and action/adventure:

LotR
Zorro trilogy
Spiderman trilogy
Raiders of the Lost Ark - not Crystal Skull
Mummy trilogy
Star Wars
X Men

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great job on the Lord of the Rings movies. The books were a strange read, great story, but, for the love of god, could it have been more drawn out.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
An old co-worker of mine described the books the same way. She said something along the line of ''he was putting his shoes on and thirty pages later he's tying his shoelaces.''
The movies are only worse in the sense that you have the one guy who can't act his way out of a paper bag looking frightened for 9 hours (more if you're watching the extended editions).
I heard they used them at Gitmo but stopped because of torture concerns.
Hello!

I am certain your old co-worker is not reading much of the current fantasy epics either. A couple of the Jordan books were longer (by themselves) than the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The GRR Martin books are the same thing.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Greetings!

The books are so much better than the movies its really not a comparison. But I freely admit that I *always* think the book is better than the movie. There was a period in my life where I read the LotR books yearly. Its been about 5 years and its time to pick them up again.

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings!

The books are so much better than the movies its really not a comparison. But I freely admit that I *always* think the book is better than the movie. There was a period in my life where I read the LotR books yearly. Its been about 5 years and its time to pick them up again.

Peace

Roger
I like them both. For different reasons.

The Moria scenes in the movie were just amazing. I still enjoy watching the Balrog sequence. When Legolas flips onto the horse and then attacks the Warg Riders it blows me away. The Ents fighting sequence is good fun. I could go on and on. I'm really looking forward to what Peter Jackson can come up with graphically with the Hobbit after gaining more experience from other movies. I loved when King Kong fought the T-Rexes, but that was about the only part I truly enjoyed.

I read the books when I was 14 years old. I've read them twice more. They haven't aged a bit and I will read them again one day.